News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Source for manual brake master cylinder studs

Started by bull, May 18, 2012, 08:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Where can you get these things? About the only thing I've found that might work are some 5/16-18 Polaris wheels studs but I don't know the correct length.

b5blue

bull

I did. :2thumbs: Do you think those will work on a 68?

bull

Somebody just placed a bid. Here we go, off to the races. ::)

As mentioned above, I'm looking into using some Polaris wheel studs. They use a 5/16-18 wheel stud but I need the overall length. Any idea how long they are?

This guy lists the knurl size and the overall length but nothing about the thread pitch:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-SPORTSMAN-EXTENDED-FRONT-REAR-WHEEL-STUDS-Grade-8-Fits-450-800-ATVs-/300712180163?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4603d7b9c3&vxp=mtr

b5blue

The head of the stud is all you see from the engine bay, so you'll want that to look the correct shape. My studs did not fit as tightly as I assumed they would, they spun when I tightened the nuts. I had to clamp a mini vice grip pliers to the head to torque the nuts down. If the auction goes screwy I got a guy you can call who most likely has them.  :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: b5blue on May 19, 2012, 08:36:26 AM
The head of the stud is all you see from the engine bay, so you'll want that to look the correct shape. My studs did not fit as tightly as I assumed they would, they spun when I tightened the nuts. I had to clamp a mini vice grip pliers to the head to torque the nuts down. If the auction goes screwy I got a guy you can call who most likely has them.  :2thumbs:

I got 'em. :2thumbs: The auction ended at the tail end of my lunch break so I snagged them at the last second. He's mailing them Monday. He contacted me but didn't know the thread pitch so I'm hoping they work.

bull

gtx6970

I don't know of a source for the studs new.

But as an fyi, the nuts pictured above are incorrect.

manual master cylinders use a yellow ( or sometimes found  red ) zinc di-chromate kepps lock washer nut

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on May 21, 2012, 08:30:52 AM
I don't know of a source for the studs new.

But as an fyi, the nuts pictured above are incorrect.

manual master cylinders use a yellow ( or sometimes found  red ) zinc di-chromate kepps lock washer nut

Thanks for the confirmation. I purchased those kind of nuts a few days ago at Lowe's and am now waiting for the studs to arrive. The other ones he is sending me will go into the pile of extras.

bull

Got them and installed them today. :2thumbs:

b5blue

greenpigs

Bull, you got 4 extra studs you are willing to sell or did you find another source?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bull

Quote from: greenpigs on August 08, 2013, 04:41:18 AM
Bull, you got 4 extra studs you are willing to sell or did you find another source?

As a matter of fact I do. I found four studs and three nuts on an old master cylinder I have, of course I found it after all the fuss I went through on Ebay. :rotz: But they have a combination of rust and paint on them. If you want them as-is PM your address to me and you can have them for the cost of shipping. Ideally you should blast them and have them plated but that can get costly unless you have some other stuff getting plated already. And I would recommend getting new star keps washer nuts like Bill posted above.

greenpigs

Too kind Bull, :cheers: but I have an aftermarket master cylinder(modern Mopar) & the studs wouldn't work out. I didn't catch this till i looked at it again a bit ago. ::)

Still...thanks for the offer!
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bull

Oh, no worries. :2thumbs: I'll hang on to them, someone will want them eventually. Maybe that someone will be me.

Highbanked Hauler

Thought I'd reactivate this thread as somebody else might be interested . I just ordered a set. :icon_smile_big:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

John_Kunkel

Exactly which Polaris product do they come from? Part number?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 01, 2014, 03:05:06 PM

I'll let you know as soon as I get mine either right or wrong.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on June 02, 2014, 02:50:08 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 01, 2014, 03:05:06 PM

I'll let you know as soon as I get mine either right or wrong.

I ordered the wrong ones,my own fault. the number I got is (400226545512) plus they are fine thread. They will work if I drill the holes out  probably next size up up. :'( :'(
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

twenty mike mike

Quote from: bull on May 24, 2012, 09:58:44 PM
Got them and installed them today. :2thumbs:

What brand master cylinder is that? I was going to put my old one back on until I saw how much better looking that one is.

John_Kunkel

twenty mike mike

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 17, 2014, 02:21:28 PM

Looks like the Bendix 11571 I recently installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Master-Cylinder-Bendix-11571-/251562213367?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a9246bff7&vxp=mtr

Thanks, that looks like mine, but mine has a 1" bore and the 11571 has a 15/16" bore. Is there any advantage to using an A Body master cylinder? The '69 service manual shows either a 1" or a 1.125" bore. I have manual front discs, so the S/M may not apply.

John_Kunkel

Only advantage to the smaller MC is more line pressure for the same pedal pressure but the downside is slightly more pedal travel.