News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Build - It moves!

Started by chaos52, June 08, 2012, 12:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaos52

Had all the cars out today. It's the first time the Charger has seen the light of day since last fall.  :cheers:

EDIT: Can you spot the cat??  :icon_smile_big:  :nana:

Baldwinvette77

Cat: on the roof on the green car on the right top?  :scratchchin:

chaos52

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 21, 2014, 08:59:03 PM
Cat: on the roof on the green car on the right top?  :scratchchin:

Yup, for better or worse. :-\ He has developed a bad habit of jumping up on the cars lately.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: chaos52 on June 21, 2014, 09:07:48 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 21, 2014, 08:59:03 PM
Cat: on the roof on the green car on the right top?  :scratchchin:

Yup, for better or worse. :-\ He has developed a bad habit of jumping up on the cars lately.

Eh, As long as he doesn't use the antenna as a scratching post...  :lol:

Ghoste

Or the hood scallops as piss pools.

chaos52

Picked up the doors last Saturday. They were primed and the insides sanded. The outsides still need to be blocked at 400.

Dad's painter friend is coming Sunday to spray the engine compartment, cowl, door jambs, inside of doors, back of hood and back of trunk lid.  :woohoo:

I decided to go with PX8 on his recommendation. Has anyone used that shade of black on their car?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: chaos52 on June 26, 2014, 11:31:28 PM
Picked up the doors last Saturday. They were primed and the insides sanded. The outsides still need to be blocked at 400.

Dad's painter friend is coming Sunday to spray the engine compartment, cowl, door jambs, inside of doors, back of hood and back of trunk lid.  :woohoo:

I decided to go with PX8 on his recommendation. Has anyone used that shade of black on their car?

Yep. PX8 is a nice sharp,none brown looking black. Thats what I used on my black 68.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chaos52

Photos from Sunday. A painter friend named Matt volunteered to spray it. He sealed everything with P30B. Also used Sherwin Williams base and clear. We're using their cheaper line of base and cheaper clear for this part. We'll use the same base with the high-end clear on the outside of the car.

It looks absolutely phenomenal. Better than I expected. We had problems with water coming out of the gun even with 2 filters on the hose. It was about 90* and 90% humidity that day, so I expect it was from the pressure drop at the nozzle. Regardless, the compressor will be drained and a new hose, water traps and new filters will be in place before spraying the rest of the car.

There's a small low spot in the cowl that needs to be fixed. It probably shrunk since the last time I sanded it. He sprayed an extra 2 coats of clear on that spot, so I'm hoping it will sand out.

:popcrn:

chaos52

chaos52

1965gp

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

fy469rtse

chaos52

I sandblasted the hood hinges and trunk hinges this past weekend. They're in etch primer, ready to be sealed and painted.

The doors are bolted on and the body and doors are blocked at 600. Still need to bolt the fenders on and block them, the hood and deck lid at 600.

I sprayed the 3rd coat of polyester on the front valance tonight. It should be ready for paint next week.

We could be painting the rest of the car next weekend. My biggest concern at this point is the valance shrinking because I did the work in such a short time...we'll see.

chaos52

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I bought this project...I obviously wasn't thinking at all. :smilielol:

I can't wait to take a duplicate photo of me standing next to the finished car though.  :icon_smile_big:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: chaos52 on July 16, 2014, 09:27:45 PM

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I bought this project...I obviously wasn't thinking at all. :smilielol:

I can't wait to take a duplicate photo of me standing next to the finished car though.  :icon_smile_big:

Man, i know that feeling.. i bought mine out of spite, i was sick of the world telling me i could never have one, cause of rarity, Cost, and just BS from sellers over pricing their junk, I loved it, But looking back... Man... 

YOU DID GOOD THOUGH  :2thumbs: Way better than me, with a similar, if not worse starting point  :cheers:

chaos52

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 16, 2014, 09:41:00 PM
Man, i know that feeling.. i bought mine out of spite, i was sick of the world telling me i could never have one, cause of rarity, Cost, and just BS from sellers over pricing their junk, I loved it, But looking back... Man... 

YOU DID GOOD THOUGH  :2thumbs: Way better than me, with a similar, if not worse starting point  :cheers:

:hah: "But looking back... Man..."  :rofl: I know that feel!

I hesitate to say it's "better" than yours though. Some days I wish I had gone for the Mad Max aesthetic. It would have been more fun to work on, more unique and much less of a financial and mental burden.

It is going to be pretty (sexy) though. :icon_smile_big:

chaos52

Looks like the Charger will be painted this Saturday! Matt (the painter friend) is coming over Friday evening to mask/prep. Saturday morning we should be shooting color.

Dad and I hung the fenders yesterday. I just need to finish sanding everything at 600 grit for it to be ready.  :woohoo:

We had problems with water when spraying last time. I drained the compressor on Sunday and got at least a gallon of water. :-\ I also ordered a new air hose and a filter as a precaution.  :2thumbs:

chaos52

The car is all masked off and ready for paint in the morning! Starting bright and early at 8am!  :boogie:

JB400

fy469rtse

:popcrn: :popcrn: never would I have expected this car to turn out this #%£€ing good excellent work, keep going lad
Great thread , and one of my all time favourite threads ,
Junk to show car , add one very motivated youngster, and walha abracadabra  just magic  :2thumbs:

chaos52

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the car is painted and it looks...beyond amazing.

The bad news is that I have to sand the whole thing again and Matt needs to spray another 1 or 2 coats of clear. (depending on the panel). Half way through the second coat of clear, our water problems returned. It ruined the deck lid right away. We drained the compressor and cleaned the filters, but it came back while spraying the hood. We decided to call it quits before screwing up any more panels.

So, I will start sanding on Monday. I plan to have it done this week so he can come over and spray the last of it some night after work. I'm going to buy another dessicant "noodle". My cousin works at a pneumatics place, so he is going to try to find me an additional filter too. Hopefully that will take care of water problems long enough to get the last of it sprayed.

Anywho, enjoy the photos. I'm also uploading a video, but our internet is sh8t so it probably won't be done until tomorrow.

chaos52

chaos52

chaos52

The last 2 are closeups of the water problems. It's amazing how such a small thing can cause such big problems.