News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Build - It moves!

Started by chaos52, June 08, 2012, 12:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaos52

keepat

Looks great, congratulations! It is a big milestone have paint on a car!

ProDartGTS

:cheers: :2thumbs: :drool5:
Proud papa here.  He's done 90% of this project himself.   I've done a lot of show winning work, but this car is breathtaking!     And this is his FIRST car!!!!!

Mike
-----------------------------------
1968 Dodge Dart GTS ProStreet
1974 Swinger
1947 Ford Tudor Streetrod

Baldwinvette77

Looks good enough to eat of off... as im sure Your cat will demonstrating in the future  :2thumbs:

chaos52

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 27, 2014, 11:49:42 AM
Looks good enough to eat of off... as im sure Your cat will demonstrating in the future  :2thumbs:

Bite your tongue! We're going to have a problem if he tries it. :nono:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: chaos52 on July 27, 2014, 05:45:26 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 27, 2014, 11:49:42 AM

Bite your tongue! We're going to have a problem if he tries it. :nono:

:smilielol:

Seriously though, Looks great in black  :coolgleamA:

chaos52

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chaos52

Stayed up until 1am Wednesday and 3am Thursday getting the car sanded out. I also borrowed a air filter system from my cousin, bought a new desiccant snake and put in a drip leg on the air line to eliminate water problems.

Long story short, as of 9pm the Charger is PAINTED with NO water problems. Now onto final sanding and wheeling!

Charger-Bodie

That is a great feeling isn't it? You had a problem , but you powered through it. Great job! Nothing worse that paint problems....
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chaos52

My cousin came over today to help me sand for a couple hours. That was much appreciated.

We sanded the whole car at 1500 grit. The hood, trunk and passenger's quarter are at 2000 grit. It looks good except for a couple spots where bugs flew into the fresh clearcoat. :mad: I'm reluctant to grind away at them too hard, so I may end up dripping some clearcoat on the spots to try fixing them.

It should be wheeled out in the next couple weeks!  :2thumbs:

chaos52

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on August 01, 2014, 07:16:33 AM
That is a great feeling isn't it? You had a problem , but you powered through it. Great job! Nothing worse that paint problems....

Yes, a big relief. I haven't completed the car yet, but it's difficult to imagine anything worse than paint problems.  :rotz:

68hardchargerrt

A big congratulations to you....well done!!   The Charger looks amazing...all that work certainly paid off tenfold!    :2thumbs:
"If you ain't breaking stuff, you ain't driving it right"  Carroll Shelby

DPL

Great thread.  I love seeing people take these projects on for themselves.  Labour of love...
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

chaos52

The whole car is sanded at 2000 grit. I dripped some clearcoat to fix a couple pinholes in the clear, but may have make the spots even worse. :( Matt is supposed to come Saturday to wheel it out, so hopefully he can fix them.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Summit and Brewers the other day. Wheels, headers, exhaust, transmission parts, flywheel, clutch, etc. (ouch, my wallet) Packages are supposed to start showing up tomorrow.  :woohoo:

chaos52

You guys definitely deserve some updates and eye candy.

Matt came over last Saturday and wheeled most of the car. It was getting late and he ran out of 3000grit sandpaper, so the hood and valance still need to be done.

All my parts showed up Thursday and Friday. I pulled the rear end out of the car and got it cleaned up and painted. I also cleaned and painted the transmission and bell housing. The guy I bought the engine from didn't paint it right, so it was peeling. I wire brushed, cleaned, primed and painted it again. The front suspension is all torn apart and ready to clean and paint. I pieced together all the best parts from the '70 parts car and the stuff that came with the '69.

I also bolted on the wheel well trim, the quarter panel extensions and the marker lights. Also masked off and painted the tail pan - SEM trim black.

Anyway, enjoy the photos. The next step is to find a new set of leaf springs so I can put the rear end back under the car!

chaos52

:popcrn:

chaos52

:popcrn:

chaos52

:popcrn: That's the exhaust system below - Pypes 2.5" stainless with X pipe.

Baldwinvette77

chaos52

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on August 20, 2014, 09:22:16 PM
Im running out of drool  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
:2thumbs:
I slap myself whenever I walk out to the shop: "Where the hell did this thing come from?"   :lol:

six-tee-nine

Are you able to surpress your excitement?

Sh*t, I know I woul'nt
I'd be living in my shop till the damn thing is finished
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

chaos52

Quote from: six-tee-nine on August 21, 2014, 05:43:42 AM
Are you able to surpress your excitement?

Sh*t, I know I woul'nt
I'd be living in my shop till the damn thing is finished

lol barely. I've got a lot of other stuff going on right now, so I can only work on it a couple hours per day, if at all.  :'(

six-tee-nine

Sounds familiar.......

For me not such an issue welding, grinding, spraying primer and sanding isnt that much exciting
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...