News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Build - It moves!

Started by chaos52, June 08, 2012, 12:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaos52

By the way, thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.

Quote from: Cooter on September 06, 2012, 11:50:38 AM
Wow! You are really in there gettin' busy! Love to see this type resto work. Making all those little patches is time consuming isn't it? I still can't figure out why the aftermarket hasn't come up with a front/rear window channel pre-bent and formed for these type repairs yet.

yes, patching is VERY time consuming. It certainly would be nice if they made window channel patches. Maybe they don't because of the 3 layers of metal that come together right there?

Quote from: grizparker on September 04, 2012, 05:23:21 PM
I'm jealous of your beautiful grille...  :drool5:

lol, thanks. I was (am) super excited to find one in such good shape. Problem is, I'm paranoid something is going to happen to it before I install it.   :lol:

cdr

you are doin great,lookin good :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

grizparker

Quote from: chaos52 on September 13, 2012, 05:18:19 PM
lol, thanks. I was (am) super excited to find one in such good shape. Problem is, I'm paranoid something is going to happen to it before I install it.   :lol:

You don't think he would have another one like it for sale, do you? :o
'69 Charger R/T 440 Magnum - F8 White Hat Special

chaos52

he has another one in even better shape, but it's not for sale. Sorry  :pity:

Skyview69

Nice work!  looks like it is shaping up nicely  :yesnod:

:cheers:

lexxman

chaos52

Dad devoted his Friday off (the day before I left for college) to helping me work on the car. At that point the drivers quarter panel had arrived, but we both knew it wasn't wise to try getting that done in a day. Besides, there was no way I would have gotten the bondo work done and I preferred not to have that half-finished until christmas. So, we decided to work on finishing the engine compartment.

Dad had two sandblasters. One was a gravity fed unit and the other was a spray gun type. I tried the gravity unit, but it didn't work the best. Dad called another friend and was able to borrow his pressure tank sandblaster. That was the first time I had sandblasted anything. It certainly makes a mess, but dang, can't complain about how nicely it strips metal. I think I would have committed harakiri if I had been forced to grind or chemical strip the engine compartment and core support. I also started grinding welds from all the frame work we did, but there's still a lot more work to do there. We also stripped and primed the cowl and vent that day.

Well, that's the last of the summer work. My plan for Christmas break is to hang the drivers quarter panel. I usually don't get as much work done in the winter because the shop isn't fully insulated and heated yet. There's also always lots of events, gatherings, etc to go to. I think that's still a realistic goal however.

chaos52

Mopar Nut

Now, this is the stuff I would like to see on T.V. Kids working with their parents on real projects.

Nice work, keep the pictures coming.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

6pkrtse

Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 20, 2012, 01:00:41 AM
Now, this is the stuff I would like to see on T.V. Kids working with their parents on real projects.

Nice work, keep the pictures coming.

I agree & no 7 day due date to be at some show or auction somewhere.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

chaos52

Quote from: 6pkrtse on September 20, 2012, 06:57:25 AM
I agree & no 7 day due date to be at some show or auction somewhere.

The "shop drama" and due dates are what annoy me most. A friend of mine saw a car from one of those shows. It looked terrible. They just don't hold up when they're completed start to finish in a week.

70chargerkrazy

i love to see the fab work on these biulds your doin a kicka$$ job keep it up and dont forget the pics  :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

6pkrtse

These shows are never know where near done in 7 days. Most of us know that already. We have donated and/or sold many of the engines to these differerent shows, such as Overhaulin, Hot Rod TV & others. We ship them to them months in advance & they mock everything, fabricate everything needed or buy what they need to make it all work. Then the televised part is the final install being filmed.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

chaos52

Well, I'm back from school for about a month. It sure feels good to be back in the shop. Here's progress from this afternoon.

chargerman69

glad see ur putting it back on the road some day and am picking up my 69 projeck next weeked

ProDartGTS

:2thumbs:  You are doing an awesome job!   :popcrn: 
Mike
-----------------------------------
1968 Dodge Dart GTS ProStreet
1974 Swinger
1947 Ford Tudor Streetrod

Charger-Bodie

Looks pretty solid under there. Keep on it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

PtitRaisin

Quentin

chaos52

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. Here's progress from over the holidays. This is my last week home, so I'm really pushing to get stuff done.

Once I got the drivers quarter cut off, I realized that would be an opportune time to work on the trunk floor. My original plan was to replace the rusty spots with regular sheet metal. I planned to buy a bead roller and make it look as factory as possible. Thankfully, before jumping into that, I started doing some price comparing on the replacement panels. I found them for under $100 per side from Sherman parts. It just wasn't worth the time fabricating patches when I could have a factory floor for $200, so I ordered them.

I had done a lot of fabricating and straightening on the passengers side of the trunk where the car was hit. At first I was reluctant to cut all that out of there and planned to seam the new panel on the inside of the passenger's frame rail. After getting a second opinion and thinking more, I realized I needed to spend the extra time and replace the entire floor. I also bought new bits for the spot weld drill, which made removing the other half a bit less infuriating. After the floor was out, I spent an afternoon wire brushing and cleaning mouse nests from inside the frame rails. Then came a coat of rust converter.

The new panels didn't have the factory edge to connect with the rear valance. I used a scrap from the (new) passengers quarter panel to fabricate a replacement piece. I was also reluctant to cut out the brace that the trunk latch bolts to. But, having it there made test-fitting the new floor and fabricating the new edge far too difficult. I took measurements and removed it.

chaos52

:popcrn:

bakerhillpins

Wholly crap baskets barman*!!*  You have some crazy skills and motivation.  Great work.  :yesnod:

:popcrn:  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

chaos52

Well, I'm back at school. I finished the trunk floor at about 12:30am on the day I left.  ::) It went pretty well. The drivers side went in with absolutely no issues. I had some fitment problems on the passengers side because I fabricated the trunk extension 2 years ago during the quarter panel repairs. The inner edge wasn't perfectly straight it and pushed the panel around at a weird angle. I also had to cut the end of the trunk extension so it could be bent (vertically) to conform with the edge of the trunk floor. When I did the repairs on the extension 2 years ago, I assumed it was flat. Turns out that it curves upward toward the rear of the car. I guess it's all part of dealing with collision damage.

I also had to do some trimming on the center seam to get each side to connect together properly and had problems with getting the panel to fit flush against the framerail where it angles upward into the passenger compartment.

In other news, I picked up an almost-complete A/C dash. All that it's missing is the dash pad to the right of the column. it came with all the wiring, a complete cluster, all black bezels and the pads are in excellent condition. I don't have any pictures of it at the moment.

Another thing I forgot to write about over the summer, was the 4-speed I picked up. I found it on craigslist shortly before I went back to school. The owner said it came from a '69 383 Roadrunner with about 80,000 miles on it. He included a big block bell housing, flywheel, shifter and the original tailshaft. The shifter is a hurst converted into some sort of racing deal-definitely not what I want. I haven't looked that closely, but I might be able to shorten the linkages to make it work as an interm solution.

chaos52

:popcrn: