News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Demise of 69 daytonas story

Started by nascarxx29, February 02, 2006, 06:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Hopefully its not true this alledged incident took place? .As I had nowbody else recalling this actualy happening.If it did happen it might explain where  a few of the missing daytonas.Went as they are in small number today .That a load of 69 daytona for dealer stock were lost in accident .We would have heard about before.

the almighty Chrysler. In the winter of ’69 the Talladega was launched by Ford with much success. Chrysler was scrambling to keep there crown and that was when the Daytona Charger was born. On this particular car carrier there were four Daytona Charger’s of which two were Hemi equipped, one featured a 440 Magnum while the other was a 383 four barrell car. The Charger’s had been driven off of the line and outside to the holding area and parked.

The cars sat and waited to be shipped west to the growing city’s premiere Dodge dealership. Scheduled delivery date for this quartet of cars had been delayed for quite awhile and when the dealership began to scream for their cars, something drastic had to be done. Don Williams, a veteran driver for Chrysler had just arrived back to the factory after a long trip through the Bible belt. Eyes like a road map, the shipping supervisor cornered Don and told him of his woes in trying to get the Charger’s west. Don looked at the rising sun and did a quick calibration as to the last day he had actually had a descent nights rest. The miles and sunrises and sunsets blurred into a long stretch. He shrugged, looked at the Super and popped a couple of bitter white pills. "Can I steal a cup of coffee from ya?" Don grimaced at the taste in his mouth, "I gotta long road ahead of me." The super smiled and yelled at the men to load up the Charger’s onto Don’s truck. Things would work out he thought.

Don swaggered over to his Dodge truck and smiled. "No troubles, Boss…" He cranked over the rigs engine and headed off. His nerves were on fire and his steely grey eyes watched the road as it unwound in front of him. The miles rolled by and Don chased the grey ribbon to his appointed destination. Then, outside of Topeka, he ran out of his supply of his "jumpstarts". "That’s alright, Mr. Williams…we’ve done this a lot of times without our whitey friends…." He muttered to the inside of the truck.

It was just around midafternoon when he rolled into the western state of his destination. He had a four hour trip left. The miles unfurled and he began to see double and had to hit himself in the face twice to snap awake. It was fifteen minutes from his destination that his mind finally crashed. His eyes literally snapped shut and he slumped over the wheel. The big Dodge veered off of the highway at 70 miles per hour. The soft shoulder gave way beneath the car carriers weight and over it went. The truck and trailer slid for about 100 yards before stopping. The factory’s precious cargo, were either ripped from their mounts or were thrown against the heavy trailer’s insides. All in all, Don walked away with a few injuries and a lawsuit against the Union for negligence, the cars were then totalled and towed to Wilbur’s yard by the state as evidence. The case never saw any court time and the undelivered cars became a memory

http://www.aeclassic.com/spooky/purgatory.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemihead

I don't believe it. No 383 daytona's were built.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TeeWJay426

Sounds like a tall tale to me, but an interesting one at that..... :icon_bs:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

6pkrunner

Creative Writing 101. And the prof's going to give them a failing grade.

41husk

I don't know, It is no doubt BS but I would give at least a "C" maybe even a "B"  if he expanded the plot.  Heh, Maybe a screen play :o
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69_500

Ran accross that story about a year ago. The story would almost be credible if he hadn't said that 1 of the Daytona's was a 383. It is possible that some of the transport carriers carrying new Daytona's did have wrecks, and that some of them were damaged like this. It happens today with new cars, so why couldn't it have happened back then. But all in all I think that story is a fake.