News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tony's Daytona discussion

Started by TONY, June 29, 2012, 11:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 18, 2013, 04:06:51 PM

And on a "comical" note regarding the Tig welded/fiberglassed/JB Weld repro of the fender tag....how many points were deducted for that "non-original" component :D....and lastly, Web/forum etiquette regarding such Biblical claims of fender tag restoration never seen before in the annuals of Moparkind...    pics, or it NEVER happened :icon_smile_blackeye:

Mike

I would venture to say AT LEAST 50% of the tag itself should be deducted........... If indeed it was restored, it is a feat Picasso would be proud of.  :cheers:

I digress............. 
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bill440rt

Without getting in the middle of this debate, if anything just out of sheer curiosity I'd like to see before and after photos of the fender tag. That is, unless of course there are no existing in process repair photos.
Well, I can see the before pictures, any pictures after? :scratchchin:

:popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

held1823

for my own scorecard, i'd like to clarify if this pinhole repair comment referred to just the floorpan, as i suspect it did.

The rear floor sections were the only panels requiring replacement. Which was done with good used originals. After the car was media blasted, several small isolated areas that were pinholed were repaired.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

ventwing

i think he was refering to the body panels, he did say the rear floor pan needed replacement

resq302

Maybe he is classifying that rust hole in the lower corner of the inside door frame a pin hole.   :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemigeno

Quote from: ventwing (alias of Tony D'Agostino) on March 19, 2013, 07:59:47 AM
i think he was refering to the body panels, he did say the rear floor pan needed replacement

:wave:

Hi Tony (D'Agostino).  Why aren't you using your other account?   ::)

held1823

could be, but i still think he was adressing the floor itself. the first comment i recall was prior to the door photo, and stated

Tony's Daytona had rust through on the rear floor pans only, which were repaired with a clean floor section removed from another charger.

then came this reply, that i quoted above

The rear floor sections were the only panels requiring replacement. Which was done with good used originals. After the car was media blasted, several small isolated areas that were pinholed were repaired.

are you guys implying the door was also replaced?

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

resq302

Tony,

Remember what the magazine articles said..... "there was no rust or rot what so ever".  So clearly that must be the original door.   :lol:   Unless there is something else that hasn't been told to us. 

I really wish either the owner or someone who actually had a hand on in the resto could come on here and explain EXACTLY what was done so there is no more controversy.  That would probably solve everything.  (And I would still love to see how they restored that fender tag)  With all the hard work that went into this, Im sure that someone would have had taken some kind of progress or restoration pics throughout the restoration.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on March 19, 2013, 08:37:12 AM
could be, but i still think he was adressing the floor itself. the first comment i recall was prior to the door photo, and stated

Tony's Daytona had rust through on the rear floor pans only, which were repaired with a clean floor section removed from another charger.

then came this reply, that i quoted above

are you guys implying the door was also replaced?

I would bet there were pin and rust holes in the trunk floor too once they blasted it  , you alway see them back by the latch area .  I have had that same problem in several cars and been able to just repair those areas and not replace the whole floor pan .  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

maxwellwedge

pettybird

ECS

Quote from: 706pkvert on March 17, 2013, 06:00:23 PM
Tony's Daytona had rust through on the rear floor pans only

I don't know why held1823 is confused about where the "rust" was located.  It was CLEARLY pointed out that the rust "ONLY" exhibited holes "THROUGH" the metal on the "FLOORS".  Anyone can see that door shown below has a "THROUGH" hole the size of a silver dollar, just behind the weatherstrip.  Of course that hole was classified by Stev....uh.....I mean Mike as being nothing more than "pinholed".  The last time I heard this type of beating around the bush was when Clinton was asking what the meaning of "IS" really "IS"?!  I guess maybe we need to start discussing what the words "RUST", "THROUGH", "FLOORS" and "ONLY" really mean.

........and now the alias' start coming out!  I hope everyone remembers this hypocrite accusing me of hiding behind an "alias".  Is there anyone that doesn't know that ECS is Dave Walden?  Just wanted to make sure.  I think by now, most of you know that I have no problem saying what's on my mind, especially when it involves the Facts.  

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

1970Moparmann

How did I miss this thread...... :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Pictures are worth a thousand words.  No pictures, it didn't happen. 

If there are pictures of the fender tag restoration, then it would be the most interesting restoration work I have ever seen....
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

resq302

I'm willing to be that the restoration work (if actually done) to the fender tag would far surpass any kind of work done on the actual restoration on the white daytona!  The sheer amount of time, energy, and resources that would be put into a project like this would be the likeness of someone restoring a picasso with the fabric tattered and worn away.
Brian

held1823

Quote from: ECS on March 19, 2013, 09:43:39 AM

I don't know why held1823 is confused about where the "rust" was located.

reread it, dave. my question asking for clarity was not about door rust. the door had not entered the discussion when the quoted comments were first posted. i believe he was addressing the photos of the rusty floor, and stating that only the rear floor pans were replaced, and that the remaining floor areas were repaired. the bandwagon crowd is the one expounding his comment to cover the entire body. perhaps it did; that's why i asked for clarity. much like when allegations were made about the nose being removed from this car when it was new. whatever became of the "smoking gun" proof for that?

i seriously am amused by this thread. the car is what it is, regardless of who has connections to it. anyone claiming to not be impressed by it is either lying, or not a wing car fan. the restoration background does seem to be a lost opportunity for showcasing one's restoration talent, which is bizarre to say the least. and for what cause? a gold award from a show that alledgedly uses "expert" judges who don't even know the correct color for power steering fluid?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

DAY CLONA

i seriously am amused by this thread. the car is what it is, regardless of who has connections to it. anyone claiming to not be impressed by it is either lying, or not a wing car fan.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I'd have to fess up, I am a wingcar fan obviously, but I'm not overly impressed by this Daytona,...it's just another 69 Tona'...it has a nice color combo, that's about it, had it been a TX9, then it would be "impressive" :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on March 19, 2013, 10:36:31 AM
Quote from: ECS on March 19, 2013, 09:43:39 AM

I don't know why held1823 is confused about where the "rust" was located.

reread it, dave. my question asking for clarity was not about door rust. the door had not entered the discussion when the quoted comments were first posted. i believe he was addressing the photos of the rusty floor, and stating that only the rear floor pans were replaced, and that the remaining floor areas were repaired. the bandwagon crowd is the one expounding his comment to cover the entire body. perhaps it did; that's why i asked for clarity. much like when allegations were made about the nose being removed from this car when it was new. whatever became of the "smoking gun" proof for that?

i seriously am amused by this thread. the car is what it is, regardless of who has connections to it. anyone claiming to not be impressed by it is either lying, or not a wing car fan. the restoration background does seem to be a lost opportunity for showcasing one's restoration talent, which is bizarre to say the least. and for what cause? a gold award from a show that alledgedly uses "expert" judges who don't even know the correct color for power steering fluid?
Personally  I love the White RED RED color combo  ,  now that everyone knocked the value down on it i can pick it up cheap  .   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:        I would love to own it  

resq302

Stuart,

I would love to own ANY daytona.  Even if it is a clone. I don't care.  I just want one of those fantastic looking cars that are a piece of racing history!
Brian

70Sbird

Quote from: moparstuart on March 19, 2013, 12:04:31 PM

Personally  I love the White RED RED color combo  ,  now that everyone knocked the value down on it i can pick it up cheap  .   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:        I would love to own it  

I agree Stuart! as to the value comment I'm not sure that anything said in any of the at least three threads here at DC.com will affect the value of the car.
It is a legit daytona that got OE Gold! Even if people have tried poking at it from the alleged missing nose and wing to amount of rust and parts used.

I'm still just trying to figure out who is pissing on who here for the last few months here and why, it seems like some people have too much time on their hands!

Scott Faulkner

Charger-Bodie

Ill think Ill build one like that someday,minus the red interior. Maybe Ill even throw in a Hemi and a four gear.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

yes, but will you say that it never had any rust and other questionable stuff? :lol:
Brian

moparstuart

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 19, 2013, 01:14:21 PM
Ill think Ill build one like that someday,minus the red interior. Maybe Ill even throw in a Hemi and a four gear.
Put the RED interior in it   :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

I'm fonda this one

pettybird

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on March 19, 2013, 01:16:16 PM
yes, but will you say that it never had any rust and other questionable stuff? :lol:

Nope. Im proud of my work. It was a total rust bucket when I got it. lots of non oe parts were used too!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

pettybird