News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Definition of Prostreet

Started by Crazy440, February 01, 2006, 09:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

Was just looking through some hot rod adds and saw many that were advertised as "prostreet" and some were "pro outlaw street."  What makes a rig prostreet or pro outlaw street, from a regular hot rod build?  These were all street machines, not drag cars.

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

toplescuda

pro street was used to mock the pro stock cars but street legal   a pro street car will have a full tubbed rearend   least a 6 point roll bar   my pink car is a 70 pro street car

Old Moparz

It was a big deal in the 80's to make a car look like a prostock drag racer, but still keep the necessary components that allowed it to be street legal. Some were legal, but barely. I really enjoyed seeing these cars since I liked the tubbed look. One that comes to mind is a red, Dart GT convertible that ran on alcohol, but still was "drivable" on the road. It was blown, tubbed, & had wheelie bars out back.

There was a local guy near me in New Jersey back then that had an Olds 442 that was tubbed. I never got to see it up close, but it was always cruising around. There was only enough room between the inside of the rear tires for the center section & about 3 inches on either side of it. I drove past him on the highway once at 65 MPH, & he was cruising at about 50 MPH & the RPM's were screaming.

One of the most recognized cars I can recall, (& also a pretty odd choice to build from) that was in a lot of magazines was a 1986 Pontiac J-2000 built by a guy named Rick Dobbertin. The car was a show car, but the attention to detail was incredible. I thought the car itself was awful, but he did work that was really nice. It won a lot of awards & was everywhere. He supposedly sold it to build something else.

http://www.supercars.net/garages/ChevyRocks/32v2.html

Here's a peek:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

'CUDA360

I have always thought that car killed the whole Pro-Street thing.  He built a Chevy II that was pretty cool and for an encore he built the J2000

My friends and I were saying  SO??!! 

I heard he took it to the track once and couldn't get it out of the 14s. probably a rumor though

68ChargerJMP

If u look close, you can see that Pontiac was twin superchargerd and twin turbocharged! Way too much time and money on that one.