News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car collecting dust in my garage, how to clean

Started by xpbprox, June 30, 2012, 01:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xpbprox

So my charger has been sitting in my garage for a few months and it's been collecting light dust. Whats the safest way to remove the dust without having to wash it? The paint is gloss black by the way.

Ghoste

A "California Duster" and maybe a spray after and wipedown of that quick detailer stuff.

http://www.calcarduster.com/

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on June 30, 2012, 01:08:12 PM
A "California Duster" and maybe a spray after and wipedown of that quick detailer stuff.

:iagree: and cover it!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Back N Black

if you have an air compressor blow the dust off and then a California Duster.

xpbprox

Wow, this is awesome!
Do they sell them like at Walmart and places like that?

If I cover it, it will never get done! Haha outa sight, outa mind

Ghoste

They could be at Walmart.  I see them at swap meets all the time so they must have a pretty good distribution network.  I'd give some thought to that cheap car cover though.

twodko

Quote from: Back N Black on June 30, 2012, 01:32:07 PM

Yep, then use some instant detail. You really need to get a car cover, even a cheap one if the car is garaged. I bought a cal cover......they call it a dust something or other but for $200 it's cheap protection.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

lukedukem

this might be a dumb one, but wouldn't blowing it off with air mess it up maybe. what if there are some form of particles in the air that is comming out. i guess the compressor would stop them. am i crazy for thinking that.   :yesnod:
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

xpbprox

Well I guess I could get a cover for it. Is there a certain material that I should get? one that is soft on the paint

I'm going to get the California duster today

Ghoste

If all you want to protect it from is dust while it is in the garage you can get an inexpensive lightweight cotton one and it will do the job.  You can get custom fitted ones and hihg tech ones and breathable ones and all sorts of things but for dust, you could even throw some old bed sheets on it in a pinch.

xpbprox

Thanks, I'll be getting one and making sure is %100 cotton

Silver R/T

x2 on blowing it off. Whatever you do, don't wipe it dry. You;re better off washing it or waiting till you can get it washed.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 30, 2012, 01:21:48 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on June 30, 2012, 01:08:12 PM

:iagree: and cover it!

x3
:iagree:

Use a compressor to gently blow any heavy dust off of it. Then lightly dust with the California Duster.
At that point you can either use a spray detailer (get the surface nice & wet with it), or use a wet washcloth & a towel to wipe the car down. Then use the detailer.

I keep a duster in the trunk of each car, I use it after each drive. I was sold on it after attending an all-day car show at a Jersey shore area right on the boardwalk. It was windy that day, and at the end of the day the car was covered with sand. Oh sh*t, how am I gonna get that off without scratching the car??? A friend lended me his duster, & it removed all of the sand without leaving a mark. I've been using them ever since.
Don't use a hose, it'll make more of a mess than anything else. You'll have dirt/dust running down into crevices where it'll be difficult to remove.
:2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Fred

Quote from: Silver R/T on June 30, 2012, 05:32:09 PM
x2 on blowing it off. Whatever you do, don't wipe it dry. You;re better off washing it or waiting till you can get it washed.

x3 on blowing it off.  You'll definitely put scratches in it  (very noticable on black) if you wipe it down, washing is the only solution.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

I use Meguiars quick dealer to lubricate the surface and a good quality micro fiber cloth to wipe it off. Use a very light pressure for first pass.

Defiantly blow off the larger/loose stuff first.

johnnycharger

The California duster is great but I have learned to beware of the generic ones. I bought one years ago and it sucked. It just pushed the dirt around. I went back to the California one and am glad I did!

bill440rt

Quote from: johnnycharger on July 01, 2012, 01:06:49 AM
The California duster is great but I have learned to beware of the generic ones. I bought one years ago and it sucked. It just pushed the dirt around. I went back to the California one and am glad I did!

Good point!
Make sure you get the one with the wooden handle. I think the copies are plastic IIRC. Also the "strings" on the California one are much thicker.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have been a fan of the SUPER California Duster.....instead of looking like a broom, this version has the "strings" 360º around the wand....

http://calcarduster.com/superDuster.asp

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 01, 2012, 08:38:47 AM
I have been a fan of the SUPER California Duster.....instead of looking like a broom, this version has the "strings" 360º around the wand....

http://calcarduster.com/superDuster.asp

Oooooo....
I'm up for a new one anyway.
Noted!   :2thumbs:

Don't let your wife see you using it or you'll be assigned to house duties.... Or she will want to borrow it.

bill440rt

Speaking of car covers, I'm up for a new one of those, too.
California Car Cover also offers a wide selection.
Here's a link, hope it helps. I'm looking into either a Plushweave or Dustop for myself, they are designed primarily for indoor storage.  :2thumbs:

http://www.calcarcover.com/how_to_select.aspx

Indygenerallee

What about one of those bubble drive in car covers?
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

twodko

DustTop is the one I was trying to think of. I've had two of them so far and it's money well spent  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Fred

I use polar fleece. It's light weight, easy to get on and off and doesn't collect moisture.
Also washes easily and dries in no time.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

xpbprox

Spray on detailer, are those any good without washing my whole car. Which would you recommend?

Yeah I'm really trying to be carefull about the black paint!