News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 2barrel to 4 barrel conversion. What do I need?

Started by mattman0182, July 09, 2012, 10:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattman0182

Hello all.  This is my first post here so please overlook the ignorance of my question.    I have had a 73 Charger with a 318 for about 8 years now.  When I got it, it was running well.  But it took me a year to get all of the bodywork done.  Right now it is in primer but I really want to get her running well again.

The guy that is doing my car wants me to ditch the 2barrel carb rather than rebuilding it. We both think it would be advantageous to switch her over to a 4barrel carb.

I have been told that a 340 intake would fit a 318, is this accurate?  My guy wants me to pick up an intake and carb but I want to make sure I get the correct items.

Cooter

All i can say is do NOT run a late 70's 360 intake on your 318...If it were me, I'd buy something like a RPM "Air Gap" intake new and a brand new Eddy carb...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Back N Black

If you changing to a 4 barrel, it will not make much difference without changing the cam. The cam is set up to match the 2 barrel carb. :Twocents:

mattman0182

So where might I acquire these at the most reasonable price?   Sadly, I did not have much funding to bring with me to Carlisle this year. :/

chargd72

Yep, what those guys said.  However, an eddy rpm air gap manifold has larger runners than your heads.  I ported the intake and exhaust runners on my heads, popped an air gap manifold with a 600cfm eddy carb and put in a 340 resto cam.  But then you need new lifters and springs to match so you have to be able to spend a little bit of money to get parts working together.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Plumcrazy

Here's what I would spend my money on.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80570/

on top of one of these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-8007/

I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

mattman0182

Thanks guys for the advice.  And I'd love to get those parts in the links above, which I may actually do one at a time. Here is where I have a curve ball.  I remember that when we got the car, the owner had said the 318 was out of a truck. Is this a handicap as far as power is concerned? This was my daily driver back in high school, a purpose it served very well.  But the thing has no power. My girlfriends stratus sedan is far faster. I am not looking to have a race car, but I want the power to at least be adequate. I am wondering if the reason the car is so slow is because this is a truck engine.   I am thInking that for now perhaps I should throw a decent 2 bbl on there to get her running again. Then when I can afford it, go to a 340 or 360.  My goal is to make it something I can drive 2 to 3 days a week to give the Stealth a break.  So I do not need a mOnster, but the current output is not acceptable. I do not know if it would be more cost effective to rework this 318 or find another used power plant somewhere else. It. Has a 3 speed tranny but I do not know if it is a 727 or the other one.  First and foremost I want this thing back on the road.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Plumcrazy on July 09, 2012, 05:13:34 PM
Here's what I would spend my money on.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80570/

on top of one of these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-8007/

I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.
I agree or see if you can find the old LD4B intake , it was matched to the 318 heads for port size . Swapping the cam would help as well

firefighter3931

:iagree: The LD4B is a good intake for a 318 and cheap enough when the come up for sale on e-bay. A 600cfm holley vacuum secondary carb would top it off nicely. Add a dual exhaust and you'll wake the 318 up  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs