News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

(5 years later) Man - I'm so dejected right now I don't know what to do

Started by 440, July 11, 2012, 04:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was going to hold off on posting this till I heard back from the California DMV but it's eating at me.

I'm an American Citizen who has been living in Australia since 2008. Anyways, I bought a 71 Chevelle back in 04 with a Salvaged title which the paperwork was never completed. The hold up on completion of a title was a VIN Verification and a Brake and Light inspection.

To make a long story short I'm trying to ship my car to Aus which requires a title. I called the DMV on numerous occasions to make sure all my eggs were in line before flying to the US to retrieve my car. The paperwork was filled out incorrectly at the DMV on their behalf in the first place with the wrong VIN. When I spoke to so and so at the DMV and asked about these two issues (VIN Check and Brake and Light) I'm advised the VIN Verification is required and due to the fact the vehicle is being exported all I need to fill out is a statement of fact and that should suffice. So, after flying to the US I get the CHP to come out and verify the VIN, all is good and he hands me the paperwork.

I take the CHP verified paperwork into the local DMV office with my statement of fact and the import approval papers for said vehicle. I am advised I need a brake and light certificate, that there is no way to issue a title without it, contrary to what I was advised on the phone. The car is still in pieces for which I have all the parts in plastic tubs waiting re-assembly.

Nobody is going to put their name on the line and sign a certificate for the sake of my word. The car is due to be collected on the 17th of July and I don't have time to get the brakes and lights set up etc.. I leave the US on the 22nd of July, so if there is no way to title it I'll have to sell it quickly, cut my losses and lose big time... It feels like losing a child.

Sorry for ranting on but I'm just gutted, hopefully speaking to someone at the DMV will resolve some issue.

Just got off the phone and although they (supervisor) understood my situation said there was nothing she could do and referred me to Sacramento which will likely result in the same answer.

Ghoste

Try Jeffrey Puentes at 916 480 2700.  He is in Cali and his business is fixing titles so maybe he can help?

Dino

Do you know anyone in a state that does not require a title but a bill of sale?  If so can the car be shipped with just a bill of sale?  If we had more time you could 'sell' it to me and I could register it in Michigan, they have no clue what inspection means here.  I hope you get it all sorted out.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Daytona R/T SE

I'd make a post about this over on Moparts.com

There's a guy on there (don't remember what he calls himself)

that exports cars to Austrailia all the time. I'll bet he knows what to do.

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Ghoste - Thanks for that, I'll give him a try if I can't work something out with the DMV tomorrow.

Dino - I've thought about it but I just can't afford it. I don't have a spare 3K+ to send it across at a later date.

Daytona R/T SE - Thanks, Hopefully he knows of some way around it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

RIDELIKEHELL - Yeah, it's sad. I've held onto it for 8 years, spend a good chunk of coin on it, and paid storage on it for 4, just to lose it? It really hits hard.

moparguy01

Your looking for Ozhemi on moparts. He seems to be a real nice guy.

Rolling_Thunder

The CA DMV is all kinds of F-ed up...    I needed a VIN verification on my 69 Road Runner and they said I needed to bring it to the DMV or take it to the CHP and have them do it...   well it was in pieces as well. They said it needed to be a complete car...         So I assembled and engine, trans, threw it in and trailered it over there and didn't leave until someone looked at it.

I have never had to have any of my cars brake light inspected. I would just put a battery in the floor, run some wiring and hook up the headlights and the tail lights...     wire in a brake switch and trailer it to get inspected. Hook up the battery and turn the switch on - turning on the lights, then the brake lights triggered by the momentary switch - then just wire it through the turn signal switch in your column.   A pain in the ass for sure but if that shows the lights work...   that's all you need to keep your car.

Best of luck!
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

stripedelete

What rolling thunder said. :2thumbs:

I'm not sure your signals even have to go through the column.  Why can't they just be a two toggles the glued to the dash?

I bet it'll get your ticket punched.   :Twocents:

They want to have the brakes tested to make sure the car is safe to drive, it's apparently to ensure any issues or damage to the brakes is fixed before the car gets titled. Hence "Brake and Light." The front brakes are brand new although not everything is installed on the car. I told them I can take photos of the new parts, power booster, master cylinder, calipers, proportioning valve etc.

Sorry, not good enough for them. You've got to be kidding me, the car is never going to be used on a public road here in the US. Hell it was only going to be in the US long enough for the DMV to issue and mail a title to the shipper.

Daytona R/T SE

Anyone have contact details for him as I don't have a Moparts account? Thanks.

charger Downunder

So how do they bring in the rusty buckets in pieces to Australia.
[/quote]

moparguy01

Sorry, but when italk with him it's through moparts pm. It is free to register though.

They (AUS) don't care what you bring in as long as you have the proper import approvals for it, they usually require a title and/or proof of purchase like a bill of sale. Shipping companies on this end (US) wont ship vehicles without clean titles because it's a US customs requirement, not sure what they do for US states that don't require titles.

Darkman

Just wondering how do they go with importing from US states that don't do titles?

I will see if I can get an answer for you about what AUS customs needs
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

FLG

I sent Jeff (Ozhemi) an email with the link to this thread in it...hopefully he can point you in the right direction.  :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Could also try to contact Dale Schmidtchen at EDI  -  He does exports from the US to AUS all the time - awesome guy as well -  he might be able to help you

Dale@edicustoms.com.au

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

FLG

Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but heres what Jeff said and not to add insult to injury...but you really should have made sure everything was taken care of before going through with all this. It really sucks, hopefully you can work something out...

Frank,

Unfortunately it sounds like he is kinda screwed. He left it until the very last minute, even though he knew he would need a title years ago from the sounds of it. And with the way the DMV is now, you can no longer file for "title only" like you used to be able too (as I have heard at least) and since his car is indeed a salvage title he'll need to get the brakes and lights working, along with paying all back fees as well to get a title.

As he mentioned, the car can not be exported without a title.

I see another potential problem he will run into... Australia does not allow modified vehicles to be imported any more. His aftermarket front suspension components would be considered modified (I can not see what else might have been changed on the car?)  If they were not noticed when he applies for an import approval or when it get inspected in Oz upon arrival he might be ok though..

Speaking of that, he does not say anything about having the Australian import approval, which he will need as well (aside from the CA title to get it out of the US in the first place) it should be gotten before the car leaves the US technically as well. (some people take a gamble and apply for one at the time of shipping the car, but if there is any hicups with it, they can refuse entry to the car and it will have to be sent back upon arrival in Oz.

Jeff

That's exactly what I seem to be up against  :'(  I have the Import Approvals from Australia, VIN verification from the CHP, all fees and penalties paid etc, everything is ready to go except... The only thing holding up the show is the Brake and Light check. Everything else has gone smoothly except this. I tried to tee everything up before leaving Aus but apparently I was misinformed by the DMV.

The local DMV office tried to file for a "Title Only" but said it only applies to cars which have fallen off the record, there is a record of mine so it doesn't apply.

When I bought the car 8 years ago I didn't plan on moving to Australia. Even then in those 8 years it sounds like I couldn't have obtained the title for it anyways as it still needed the brake and light check. I'm not here long enough to rig up the brakes and lights amongst other things I have to do to ship my other vehicle and household goods. I have no idea what shop rates are in the Bay Area even if I paid someone to rig it up enough to satisfy them as all my tools are packed away. I'm guessing $80hr.ish ? For a fully set up shop it is probably a good days work.

What to do  :'(

Spend money I don't have to keep it?

Sell it and lose everything I have in it?

Fingers crossed the title section of the DMV headquarters at Sacramento can make an exemption. I'm not holding my breath however.

FLG

Im going to post this on another forum (BMW) that i go to...maybe someone on there has a DMV connect or some more insight and could help....worth a shot  :shruggy:

SRT-440

I'd go to a junk yard and find wiring, master cylinder, pedal and put a battery in it and get the brakes working...even if it's a hack job using walmart tools...seems like it wouldn't be that hard to atleast get them working...even if u strap trailer tail lights to the bumper...good luck...DMV no matter what state u live in suks.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Indygenerallee

This may sound stupid but what if you use that spray on plastic coating that peels off and spray everything in black???? Might fool them into thinking if everything is one color and rough looking that it's stock??  :shruggy:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

stripedelete

Wow, I completely missed the salvage title part.   I find it hard to believe they are only asking for lights and brakes.

I went through the process in Ohio and I thought they were going to take a kidney.