News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Lower Windshield Trim

Started by macca3441, July 16, 2012, 07:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macca3441

My 68 has a screw either side in the lower windshield trim that I'm told shouldn't be there!
I just figured someone before me had screwed them in to help hold the lower trim down.
Now I've just seen another in a photo that has the same. Can someone answer if the 68 is supposed to have these screws there, or if this was just a quick fix for some people?
I've attached a photo of the 68 in the ebay ad from the "Charger Discussion" thread about the guy that just bought a pristine, original charger, that shows the same screws as mine.

Wade

twodko

I've not seen that before. Don't know too much about 68 details but my 69 has tiny screws that hold the ends down but they're hidden down in the door jam area.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

squeakfinder

My first 68 didn't have them. The one I have now doe's.   :shruggy:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

Looks to be in the same spot........

macca3441

Hey Squeakfinder,

Does yours also have the little strap that wraps around into the door jam and screws in there as well? Or are those little straps not there?

Thanks.

Wade

bill440rt

There should not be a screw there.
Looks like a quick fix for a poor fitting molding or no retaining clip.

There should be just clips (one almost near the end of the molding), and little "L"-shaped retaining clips on the sides that wrap into the hinge pillar & are mounted underneath the roof rail weatherstrip.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

macca3441

Thanks Bill,
That's what I thought.
Are the straps still available? If so, who sells them?

Thanks again,

Wade

squeakfinder

As far as straps, I'm not sure what your asking.

squeakfinder

I'm not convinced they don't belong there. Maybee a dealer fix. Might have been an assembly line fix.

bill440rt

Quote from: squeakfinder on July 16, 2012, 09:24:42 PM

As far as straps, I'm not sure what your asking.

See that elongated hole at the base of the A-pillar? That's where the screw goes thru that holds them in. The other end is flat which slides into the end of the base windshield trim piece.

Here's a used set:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-68-69-70-CHARGER-ROADRUNNER-WINDSHIELD-MOULDING-TRIM-END-BRACKETS-B-BODY-/170876051470?hash=item27c901a00e&item=170876051470&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

They're also available repro.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

I believe the screws to be one of the EARLY 68 quirks.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 17, 2012, 08:05:04 AM

I do find it VERY interesting that the cars pictured have the screws in the EXACT same spot.  :scratchchin:
Any documentation out there to dispel this myth?  :popcrn:

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 17, 2012, 08:05:04 AM

I agree,but there is supposed to be a "danger do not remove" tag fastened to them !!!!!

1BAD68

Mine has them in the same exact spot, built Sept. of 67

Just looked at that Ebay car and noticed it was a Sept. built car also.

squeakfinder

So do the 66 and 67 b body's have the screws?

bill440rt

Quote from: 1BAD68 on July 17, 2012, 08:24:58 AM
Mine has them in the same exact spot, built Sept. of 67

That's three!!  ;)
Very well could be an early '68 quirk then. I was unaware. This forum is great, learn something new every day!  :coolgleamA:

69 OUR/TEA

I'd be very suprised if that was originally done by Ma Mopar,looks to hacked for being on a new car at the time,right on top of the trim!!!! My 68 Coronet was also an early car 166,540,not to far after  this Charger and did not have such a thing like that done to it.My opinion,doubt that is a fact thing,the cars you show with the screws have all been painted,...... :scratchchin: !

warpspeed

My car was built in June 68.  There are no screws in the moulding or screw holes in the body.  I have seen this before but my car doesn't have any.

Troy

I don't think I've ever seen a screw right through the molding there. All of mine have the clip on the end as far as I know.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

I've never seen another one, either. Nor have I seen moldings with "factory" stamped screw holes in them.

Try taking out the screw. If it's just a hole haphazardly drilled it in then it's probably a home do-it-yerself deal. If it has a neat stamped recess in the molding then I'd lean towards an early factory production thing.

macca3441

Incidently,

Mine's a Sept build as well (if my memory serves me).
Perhaps, there was a shortage of the "end clips" at that particular time, and this was some sort of short-term fix????

Will pull a screw tonight, and see what I can see!!

Wade

1BAD68

I pulled the screws in mine and it just looks like a drilled hole.
Looking at the few photo's here and looking at my car, I'm leaning towards it was a last second fix at the factory or at the dealership.
If it was DIY the holes would be anywhere on the end of the trim but not in the same spot.
We need more pictures of cars with the screws.

macca3441

I'll take a pic of mine tonight, and put it up in the morning!

1Bad68, does yours have the end clip in addition to that screw??

Wade

cdr

Quote from: warpspeed on July 17, 2012, 10:42:16 AM
My car was built in June 68.  There are no screws in the moulding or screw holes in the body.  I have seen this before but my car doesn't have any.
do you have a pic of you fender tag,so far your is the only other june 68 like mine
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr