News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help with stalling sputtering 1984 dodge charger 2.2 liter

Started by mattarmstrong, July 31, 2012, 12:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattarmstrong

Ok I have a 1984 dodge charger 33,000 original miles and the car sat in my grandmothers garage for the past 11 years.  It had a quater tank of old gas it was run out once it was running again.  1,500 miles since then.  Replaced fuel pump (mechanical), fuel filter twice, ignition coil, distrbutor cap and rotor button, plugs and wires, oil and filter, air filter, pcv valve and full carb holley 6520 rebuild a $220 rebuild.  I know i still need to replace the egr valve and o2 sensor.  I am also replacing the vapor charcoal canister  (one vaccum port broke).  Those will be ordered Friday.  Car is sputtering and stalling like its not getting enough air or fuel.  There ianal valve a check valve that goes from the back right of the intake manifold to the rear of the carb into a vaccum line.  I don't know what it is for after carb was rebuilt it idled like crap and the guy who did the carb found that line was allowing air flow both ways capped it and the vaccum line it seemed to run better.  I can't find this valve anywhere and dodge dealers all theyp tell me its discontinued.   Here are pics of it.  What is it and do I NEED it and where can I get one help please.  OEM part number is 4173993

mattarmstrong

It's white and black u may have to open file to see full pic

AirborneSilva

That is one of the many reasons why I prefer a 73/74 or older car, they don't have all that smog bull crap.  I'm not an expert but I would thing that you can eliminate the smog crap then start trouble shooting from there, it will run just fine (probably better), without all the smog stuff.

Cooter

Depending on your state, whether or not you have to have the tailpipe "Sniffed", and how you have it registered, Removing "All that smog" equipment isn't an option.
That valve may be a One way check valve for vacuum. You can rob one off any later model import even with EFI. May not be the correct colors,but will do the job. Check to see if it is by blowing through it one way, and the other way you shouldn't be able to.
May also find you will need to replace all of the billion vacuum lines running everywhere on that thing.
Those year cars were notorious for these type problems. Half electronic carb BS. Good luck.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

ACUDANUT

71charger_fan

Did you check the hall effect pickup? If it stalls after it gets hot and it's not fuel, the hall effect is often the culprit.

areibel

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 04, 2012, 09:19:41 AM
Isn't that a Mitsubishi's engine ?

Nope, that's the Chrysler 2.2 that they used in a whole bunch of different bodies.  And if I'm not mistaken, it's a Hemi!

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Cooter on August 04, 2012, 05:36:44 AM
Depending on your state, whether or not you have to have the tailpipe "Sniffed", and how you have it registered, Removing "All that smog" equipment isn't an option.
That valve may be a One way check valve for vacuum. You can rob one off any later model import even with EFI. May not be the correct colors,but will do the job. Check to see if it is by blowing through it one way, and the other way you shouldn't be able to.
May also find you will need to replace all of the billion vacuum lines running everywhere on that thing.
Those year cars were notorious for these type problems. Half electronic carb BS. Good luck.

My point was not to do away with the smog but disconnect all of it, then work your way backwards to find the trouble area.  It's a technique used in trouble shooting computers, just a thought  :scratchchin: