News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

M/C Backing Plate

Started by areibel, August 03, 2012, 09:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

areibel

My '69 came with no brakes- that is no pedals, no MC, anything!  I was sorting through a friends parts pile and found a manual MC and a pedal assembly, but I'm wondering about the backing plate.  There is still one on the car, but the car is an SE so he thought that maybe it was a power brake car?
I guess what I need to know is if there is a difference in the backing plate between power and manual, and if there is could someone post a pic or two so I can tell?
Thanks!
Al

areibel

Dang! Wrong section, Mr. Moderator can you move this?

c00nhunterjoe

firefighter3931

There is a difference between power vs manual brakes so you need the correct backing plate for the application. Compare the two that you have and maybe post pics of both.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

I stand corrcted.   But while we are on the subject, the power disc brake conversion kits that are available from almost every performance place; they don't say they come with a new backing plate. If it needs to be changed where do you find one? I will be doing a power conversion on mine soon.

firefighter3931

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 04, 2012, 08:36:47 AM
I stand corrcted.   But while we are on the subject, the power disc brake conversion kits that are available from almost every performance place; they don't say they come with a new backing plate. If it needs to be changed where do you find one? I will be doing a power conversion on mine soon.

Joe, you need to find a used one. The booster/master is mounted higher to clear the engine/valvecovers with a PB setup so the backing plates are different.   :yesnod:

Any 68-70 B body backing plate will so....it doesn't have to be Charger specific.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

Good to know. Glad they tell you that when you are shopping for kits...........

areibel

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/areibel/backplate2.jpg

OK, here's a link to the pic of mine.  And the plate I picked up is identical, but I got it out of my friend's storage shed.  He wasn't sure what it came off of, so it isn't necessarily a non power plate.  Any ideas?

John_Kunkel

The plate in the pic is a manual brake. If it were for power brakes, the two studs with heads visible just above the existing holes would be empty holes...that's where the top two studs of the booster go.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

areibel

Thank you Sir!
Now all I need to do is dig through the bucket of bolts that came with the car and find all the fasteners.
I appreciate your help!
Al

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T