News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to Clean Headliner

Started by 36 Dodge Brothers, July 31, 2012, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

36 Dodge Brothers

I would like to clean some stains that are noticeable on my black headliner. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks, Marco
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

twodko

I have never tried it. How old is the HL? I ask because the material does get brittle/rot over time. Seems that trying to clean an old one would be a bad idea.  :shruggy:

If it's a newer HL, give an upholstery shop a call and see what they say.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

36 Dodge Brothers

Quote from: twodko on August 01, 2012, 11:25:47 PM
I have never tried it. How old is the HL? I ask because the material does get brittle/rot over time. Seems that trying to clean an old one would be a bad idea.  :shruggy:

If it's a newer HL, give an upholstery shop a call and see what they say.  :Twocents:

Original headliner. The headliner is in great shape except for the small white stains. Maybe I will try some type of fabric cleaner and hope for the best but thanks for your input.
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

68X426

What are stains from?   :eek2:  Nevermind.  :slap:

Seriously, are the stains from a water leak along the roof line or glass line? You should try to figure out the source before cleaning.

Here's an idea. Woolite makes a fabric cleaner. Should be available at any store in the Bay Area.

http://www.woolitecarpet.com/Products/c/Upholstery/p/fabricupholsteryfoam/ak/faq/Product.aspx

From the FAQ at their site:

Can Fabric & Upholstery be used on a car interior?
Yes. Fabric & Upholstery can be used on most car interiors. However, it is not recommend for use on velvet/velour car interiors for stain removal.

Can Fabric & Upholstery be used as a spot remover?
This product can be used for stain removal as shown on the can. But, if you don't clean the entire article, you run the risk of seeing water rings where the product was used. If you want to clean one spot on your upholstery, we recommend Pet Stain & Odor Remover.

Can Woolite's Fabric & Upholstery cleaner be used on carpet?
This product is recommended for an overall cleaning of furniture. It has not been tested on fibers and fabrics which carpets are made from, therefore, we do not recommend using Fabric & Upholstery in this manner for carpet stain removal.

How do I remove the fragrance left by this product?
The majority of the fragrance dissipates within 48 hours. Use of a deep cleaning machine will remove any lingering fragrance or soap.

How do you use Fabric and Upholstery Cleaner for stain removal:
1.Remove excess stain gently by blotting with a clean, absorbent cloth.
2.Wet the stain with cool water. Do not soak.
3.Spray soiled area with Fabric and Upholstery Cleaner and wipe gently with a clean, warm, damp colorfast sponge or cloth.
4.Blot dry. Repeat as required to remove the stain.
5.For best stain removal results treat stains immediately. To avoid rings, clean the whole article.

My concern would be that it may be too strong, not mild enough, thereby creating a worse situation.

Note: if you have a velvet interior, don't use. Beware all you velvet guys.  :rofl:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

twodko

Velvet guys? Dan yer makin' me nervous.  :scratchchin:

68X426

Quote from: twodko on August 02, 2012, 12:43:52 AM

Not me. No velvet, only leather.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

36 Dodge Brothers

Quote from: 68X426 on August 02, 2012, 12:33:16 AM
What are stains from?   :eek2:  Nevermind.  :slap:

Seriously, are the stains from a water leak along the roof line or glass line? You should try to figure out the source before cleaning.

Here's an idea. Woolite makes a fabric cleaner. Should be available at any store in the Bay Area.

http://www.woolitecarpet.com/Products/c/Upholstery/p/fabricupholsteryfoam/ak/faq/Product.aspx

From the FAQ at their site:

Can Fabric & Upholstery be used on a car interior?
Yes. Fabric & Upholstery can be used on most car interiors. However, it is not recommend for use on velvet/velour car interiors for stain removal.

Can Fabric & Upholstery be used as a spot remover?
This product can be used for stain removal as shown on the can. But, if you don't clean the entire article, you run the risk of seeing water rings where the product was used. If you want to clean one spot on your upholstery, we recommend Pet Stain & Odor Remover.

Can Woolite's Fabric & Upholstery cleaner be used on carpet?
This product is recommended for an overall cleaning of furniture. It has not been tested on fibers and fabrics which carpets are made from, therefore, we do not recommend using Fabric & Upholstery in this manner for carpet stain removal.

How do I remove the fragrance left by this product?
The majority of the fragrance dissipates within 48 hours. Use of a deep cleaning machine will remove any lingering fragrance or soap.

How do you use Fabric and Upholstery Cleaner for stain removal:
1.Remove excess stain gently by blotting with a clean, absorbent cloth.
2.Wet the stain with cool water. Do not soak.
3.Spray soiled area with Fabric and Upholstery Cleaner and wipe gently with a clean, warm, damp colorfast sponge or cloth.
4.Blot dry. Repeat as required to remove the stain.
5.For best stain removal results treat stains immediately. To avoid rings, clean the whole article.

My concern would be that it may be too strong, not mild enough, thereby creating a worse situation.

Note: if you have a velvet interior, don't use. Beware all you velvet guys.  :rofl:

68X426,

The car sat for about 20 years in the garage and the interior got a bad mildewy smell so I used a spray to remove the odor but unfortunately when it dried it left white spots. After spending the good part of 3 days removing & cleaning the panels and replacing the carpet the interior looks like new except for the headliner. I should receive my Legendary seat covers in the next few weeks so I will give your suggestion a shot by using some Woolite before they arrive. Thanks for your advice and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Regards,
Marco
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

twodko

Quote from: 68X426 on August 02, 2012, 12:59:09 AM
Quote from: twodko on August 02, 2012, 12:43:52 AM

Not me. No velvet, only leather.

Ooooh kinky and twisted, Mrs. Dan must be a happy camper!  :lol:

36 Dodge Brothers

Okay guys,

Called Meguiar's and they told me to use Simple Green with a soft nylon brush. So I went this morning and purchased the items. I diluted the concentrated Simple Green to about 1:8 ratio and started to clean the headliner. After I was done cleaning I used a big 24" fan to dry the headliner. The headliner is now dry and it looks like new, spots are completely gone. I want to thank all of you for your input!

Regards,
Marco
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

MRCHARGER

Simple Green is the best! In the 80's, an "old man Marv" a guy I worked with at the Hazel Park Raceway told me about that stuff. I used it on the white interior of a 70 Chrysler 300 convertable, it looked brand new when finished. I buy by the gallon, good stuff.

68X426

Oh, um, yeah, Marco, I meant to say .... try Simple Green.  :icon_smile_wink:

I shoulld have thought of that, because it's great stuff, and the ability to dilute is a big advantage. Stupid me to forget that I use it all the time.

Happy for you.  :2thumbs:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

AirborneSilva

I spray Simple Green on my 2011 Ram engine bay (Hemi of course), then hose it off to keep it clean and looking new  :2thumbs: