News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help w/ drivers door lower corner

Started by carsnguitars, August 07, 2012, 11:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carsnguitars

Okay, so I am not a big body guy, but can get things done okay. I am looking for best way to fix this one.
Car sat in field for 20+ yrs and any body work was done when it was cheap and all bondo, as you can see.
The car is very solid but has a few little areas to deal with, this being one of them.
Do I cut it out and put in small patch (if so can I cut just skin off to corner or?) , cut it out just fill it (no more lead right haha), replace the door, or what else.
This one is kinda of in awkward area right at the corner. I thought bout sticking a patch in from the back, and then using bondo to fill it even?
I will get the rust all out first of course....so what you experts think?

garych11

Cut it out and weld a new piece in, If you do it right you will not use much filler. That rust is common in the   se doors, I have 3 sets  of them all with the same holes in the same spots.

carsnguitars

Thanks for input Gary.
So how do I deal with corner, cut just to it, or do you think I have to cut it out and form a piece around it?

I have done straight panel pieces before, but never dealy with corners and forming pieces. I could pay someone, but fun is learning and dong it yourself.

garych11

I would grind the filler off and see if it is rusted where it folds around, If it is cut the outer part first then cut where it folds under and open it up enough to get it off the inner door, and use it as a templet. If its not rusted around the curve cut the rotted part and replace that patch. Just remember to skip around when welding...