News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy Baker #6 vintage interior photos from the 1970 Daytona 500

Started by odcics2, August 02, 2012, 05:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Found an old newspaper with a photo of the Cotton Owens #6 Dodge Charger Daytona, driven by Buddy Baker.  THIS car sat on the outside pole at 192 mph.
Notice the many gauges in the dashboard and the dual ignition switches.  Also, notice the windshield brace is offset to the passenger side. Floor is set up for the 2 way radio.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Ghoste

odcics2

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

68X426

Quote from: odcics2 on August 02, 2012, 05:49:03 PM
Looks too far back to be a pedal... IMO.

Is that a glove, just sort of hanging there off the wheel or on top of something?

Anyway, cool post. Thanks.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

odcics2

Glove?? Not sure about that - it appears to have an extra digit!!    Did find an interior photo of the Show Car #6, to compare to the actual race car.

68X426

Quote from: odcics2 on August 02, 2012, 07:09:47 PM
Glove?? Not sure about that - it appears to have an extra digit!!    

I saw that, optical illusion? Otherwise, what do you think it is?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

moparstuart

i say a pair of gloves overlapping each other ( hence the extra digits )
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

Mytur Binsdirti

odcics2

Aero426

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on August 02, 2012, 08:28:33 PM
Where did the extra guages disappear to?    :shruggy:

The black hole where the other ignition switch went.

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on August 02, 2012, 08:39:11 PM

I have been there....not a fun place...but I did find all my missing socks that the dryer ate

Bryan

Indygenerallee

Indygenerallee

Can anybody tell me what that is on the passenger side of the dash that appears to be a tach???

odcics2

Rest of the caption under the newspaper photo stated "complete with altimeter and radio."   
I get the radio, but don't know why an altimeter is used.   You're only a little above sea level at Daytona, except for the banking...!!!!   

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: A383Wing on August 02, 2012, 08:46:09 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on August 02, 2012, 08:39:11 PM

I have been there....not a fun place...but I did find all my missing socks that the dryer ate

Bryan

I found a lot of my lost tools there :rotz: I agree not a fun place.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on August 02, 2012, 07:50:10 PM

It is the shifter boot.   Just a different style than on the second car. 

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on August 02, 2012, 10:01:21 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on August 02, 2012, 07:50:10 PM

It is the shifter boot.   Just a different style than on the second car.  
yup  now i see it  , but i liked the joe dirt idea

odcics2

Absolutely a shifter boot.  Shifter appears to be in 2nd gear, too.

HPP

Quote from: odcics2 on August 02, 2012, 09:15:22 PM
Rest of the caption under the newspaper photo stated "complete with altimeter and radio."   
I get the radio, but don't know why an altimeter is used.   You're only a little above sea level at Daytona, except for the banking...!!!!   

Air density for tuning?

moparstuart

1RareBird

So, with even more evidence that the show car is the one that still exists today, I wonder what happened to the real race car? I have heard the Cotton had cut up other #6 daytonas (at least one that Buddy Baker wrecked) in the past. I guess it could have met the same fate.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

hemigeno

Was there some sort of padding added to the underneath side of the steering column on the "real" race car?  If not, what is that?  It doesn't appear to be present on the show car...

:scope:

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on August 03, 2012, 12:44:54 PM
Was there some sort of padding added to the underneath side of the steering column on the "real" race car?  If not, what is that?  It doesn't appear to be present on the show car...

:scope:

It appears they have added extra padding (anti-knee knockers) to the bottom of the column, as well as the drivers seat. 

Ghoste

Buddy is a big guy, knee knockers may well have been required.

odcics2

Seat belt looks odd, too.  Appears to have some sort of stiffener ridge integrated into it.
Usually, those belts just flop around.

Aero426

OK, knee knockers it ain't.  I didn't really like my own answer anyway.    Here is another photo of likely the same car from a different angle.   What we are seeing taped to the bottom of the steering column is a flexible air hose.  It is connected to the left side of the inner cowl and directs air to the driver.   In this case if the photo from the old newspaper at Daytona, it appears to have been sealed.    Ramo's Superbird has a similar setup, but the hose is connected to an actual A/C bezel out of a production car and mounted to the right side of the column.    Sometimes, the answer is right in front of you.

The photo below is of Baker's car in the Owens shop.  Just below the column you can see the ribs of the flex hose running off the right side of the photo.   The carpeted door panels and window cranks are consistent with a speedway car.   The chassis number is written in marker on the rear blower.   DC-84 indicates Dodge Charger and the 84th Nichels chassis in sequence.  Dollars to donuts this is the same car as the photo from Daytona.

70Sbird

Quote from: tan top
interesting stuff , thanks for posting  :yesnod: :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63521.0.html

Not to beat any dead horses here or pick the scab of any wounds, but whatever became of the "Canepa", "Museum" or "show" (pick your description) #6 Daytona. I glanced back at the old thread and it looks like it was up for sale in 2010? any updates (no authenticity debates needed) on this car?
:shruggy:

Scott Faulkner

Aero426

Quote from: 70Sbird on August 07, 2012, 10:59:03 AM
Not to beat any dead horses here or pick the scab of any wounds, but whatever became of the "Canepa", "Museum" or "show" (pick your description) #6 Daytona. I glanced back at the old thread and it looks like it was up for sale in 2010? any updates (no authenticity debates needed) on this car?

I think it is still available if you want to buy it. 

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on August 07, 2012, 11:18:59 AM

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :nana:

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on August 07, 2012, 11:21:59 AM

Remember Stuart, you can live in your car, but you can't drive your house!   Gotta have your priorities.   The #6 would be a great car to have in your garage. 

70Sbird

Thanks Doug but I'll have to pass....
One problematic Aero car is enough for me to deal with at the moment, and I stilll need my house.....

Stuart however, would look really good in the #6 "tribute" car!! :nana:

On the other hand though, what would the historical value be of this car if it were returned to the "as raced" Cotton Owens Charger 500? or would it be of greater historical value as the "show " car? Or really going for the stretch, how about documenting the Show car as the previously raced Charger 500??? After the 19 pages of the prior post It would seem that there was probably enough data to support this?

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on August 07, 2012, 11:45:32 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on August 07, 2012, 11:21:59 AM

Remember Stuart, you can live in your car, but you can't drive your house!   Gotta have your priorities.   The #6 would be a great car to have in your garage.  
who says i cant   :nana:     plus i'm holding out for the really nice # 22  authenticated  305 Test car  :smilielol:

Aero426

Quote from: 70Sbird on August 07, 2012, 12:31:26 PM

On the other hand though, what would the historical value be of this car if it were returned to the "as raced" Cotton Owens Charger 500? or would it be of greater historical value as the "show " car? Or really going for the stretch, how about documenting the Show car as the previously raced Charger 500??? After the 19 pages of the prior post It would seem that there was probably enough data to support this?

Since the previous racing life as a non-winged Charger is a theory (but probably true), I think it would be fine to remain as a Daytona.   The car is all there and been that way for 42 years, I'd leave it alone.    It' s still a great car and the only Cotton Owens Charger intact from the period.  

oestermarken

Quote from: tan top
interesting stuff , thanks for posting  :yesnod: :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63521.0.html

2 months ago I was drooling at it in Canepa's shop  :drool5:
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

odcics2

Yup, sure looks shiny!

Here is the oil tank of the Show Car #6 compared to the actual speedway #6.  Show car is behind the seat, since a short track car likes the extra weight there.
Speedway car had it in the engine compartment, where it was taken out in the April 70 Talladega race, leading to the Buddy Baker Flaming Spin.
Note that the windshield brace of the Talladega Flame Out #6 is in the exact same location as the Daytona 500 #6, since they are the same car.

odcics2

Just noticed the vertical cage bar on the right side of the seat to the center hump on the real Speedway car....

odcics2

More differences between the original speedway car and the show car: headrest design & shoulder seat belt retractor location/mounting. Every time you look at old photos, you notice more details...

Patronus

Quote from: Indygenerallee on August 02, 2012, 08:48:57 PM
Can anybody tell me what that is on the passenger side of the dash that appears to be a tach???

My guess is clock/lap timer
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Aero426

Slightly better than the fake Allison car.    This one still can fit a mower deck underneath.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3197132917.html

odcics2

It's an altimeter, similar to this vintage one.  Probably used to fine tune the air-fuel ratio.

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Aside from the street Daytona nosecone & wing, the Canepa car is still a very well-preserved time capsule of a C500 short-track car.  It's better left as-is than any other way.

Ghoste

odcics2

Yes - keep it as it is.  Too bad it has been semi-restored...  The missing wing paint, for example, was part of it's history.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on August 06, 2012, 09:51:22 PM
OK, knee knockers it ain't.  I didn't really like my own answer anyway.    Here is another photo of likely the same car from a different angle.   What we are seeing taped to the bottom of the steering column is a flexible air hose.  It is connected to the left side of the inner cowl and directs air to the driver.   In this case if the photo from the old newspaper at Daytona, it appears to have been sealed.    Ramo's Superbird has a similar setup, but the hose is connected to an actual A/C bezel out of a production car and mounted to the right side of the column.    Sometimes, the answer is right in front of you.

The photo below is of Baker's car in the Owens shop.  Just below the column you can see the ribs of the flex hose running off the right side of the photo.   The carpeted door panels and window cranks are consistent with a speedway car.   The chassis number is written in marker on the rear blower.   DC-84 indicates Dodge Charger and the 84th Nichels chassis in sequence.  Dollars to donuts this is the same car as the photo from Daytona.

Look at the tape on the steering column in the "Daytona 500" photo at the beginning of the thread and this photo.  Same car.
Therefore - there is exact vintage proof the car that ran at Daytona (and Talladega) is not the same car now owned by The Canapa Collection.

Dodge Don

What is the story with the Canadian flag on Tiny Lund's Daytona?

Aero426

odcics2

Quote from: odcics2 on August 02, 2012, 05:01:31 PM
Found an old newspaper with a photo of the Cotton Owens #6 Dodge Charger Daytona, driven by Buddy Baker.  THIS car sat on the outside pole at 192 mph.
Notice the many gauges in the dashboard and the dual ignition switches.  Also, notice the windshield brace is offset to the passenger side. Floor is set up for the 2 way radio.

The extra gauge on the far right could be an air density meter.

wingcar builder

From the dvd The Chargers. Cotton's charger 500 Dash might be the same one.

wingcar builder

Here are couple pics the my friend Mike Ashley took back in the Day while visiting shops. This is the Baker Daytona getting new front end after Hitting James Hylton in the ass at Texas.

Now here is a shot he took also. Note another dash. I'm not sure what the extention is hanging down off the bottom but it looks like it would be in Buddy's way as long legged as he was. Note the 3 spoke wheel in this one.

odcics2

moparchris

Is the "extension" you're referring to the accelerator pedal?  Looks like it's hinged off the floor, not sure what else it could be :scratchchin:

odcics2

He means the black long rectangle under the steering column, riveted to the dashboard.  That's an odd thing!