News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Mount Shims

Started by wldside, August 06, 2012, 07:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wldside

Hello,

I just recently put the 440 in my 69 and upgraded to the heavy duty motor mounts. Well, after talking with Firefighter, it seems that these new mounts might not be as thick as the origionals. My idler arm is touching on my TTI headers...... I dont really want to take a hammer to my new headers. I am willing to try to make a set of shims, but could really use some measurements for making them. I have an appointment to have the car at the alignment shop on thursday and can't drive it like this so any help is very much appteciated... Also, what is the easiest way to get these shims in?

Thanks, :cheers:
Dave

firefighter3931

Dave, you need to raise the engine or dent the headers to clear the idler arm. The shim idea will work but you'll need to remove the mounts from the engine bay and disassemble.

(1) seperate the mount from the bracket
(2) measure the size of the rubber biscuit....it's something like 4''x 2.75" or in that ballpark
(3) get some 3/8 steel or aluminum plate and have it cut to the same dimension as the flat rubber that faces directly onto the steel bracket.
(4) drill a hole for the thru bolt and silicone the plate to the rubber mount.

While you have it apart i'm going to recommend that you add extra hardware to reinforce the whole assembly. With 500hp on tap those mounts won't last long once the engine starts loading against the mount....particularly the driver side. I'll recommend you do both sides because of the added shim height.

The extra bolts will keep the plate located properly in conjunction with the silicone.

See link below for details on this modification.  :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13216.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Paul G

Dave, You really need to do something with the drivers side mount to strenghten it like Ron is suggesting. I will just blame the cheap Chinese crap we are forced to buy these days being the majority of the problem. I have pulled apart two drivers side mounts and I only make 300 HP. I ended up using a torque strap because I did not want to take the mount off again. Much easier at this point to just install the torque strap.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#