News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drip Molding Question/Help !!

Started by Mopar Crazy, August 02, 2012, 02:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

68 Charger, new drip moldings. I have the drip rail moldings except by the rear 1/4 window.  I can't figure out how to fit them over the rear 1/4 belt molding:
It has to fit over the lower 1/4 "J" molding.    :brickwall:
Any Help ?????

Thanks Peter
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

bill440rt

You'll have to spread the end of it apart somehow.
Try wrapping the ends of needlenose pliers with tape, then inserting them into the end of the molding. Give them a little spread, and the drip molding end should open up a bit. Might help.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

Yep and cover the area below the quarter glass belt molding with blue painters tape.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

:yesnod:
Electrical tape also works well. It is low-tack, conforms great & will not tear easily like painter's tape. Just a hint.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Patronus

I would also add that sometimes its best to combine the trim prior to installing...Slip it together first and then try different methods. IIRC those pieces require a twist to allow the mounting flanges the room to slide into the quarter.. Best to have 4 hands..4 eyes..and the tape is a must.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mopar Crazy

Gonna give it a try this weekend... I'll let you know..
Thanks to all for the advice.. :2thumbs:

Mopar Crazy

This sucks.....  :flame:   $150.00 for a repro set, and its garbage. Besides being paper thin and flimsy, there is no way to get the drip moldings over the J moldings. In comparing the size, the J molding is wider then the drip.
It looks like crap.
How can these guys repro moldings the same size in diameter when it has to slide over another molding... Plus I had to cut the vinyl off the drip rail to get the molding over it. It was too narrow. This sucks.....
Does anyone know any company that repro's the proper size moldings???? Maybe one that flares the end by the J moldings ????? you would think that would be common sense....

Thanks Pete

twodko

I can appreciate your frustration Pete. From whom did you buy this molding? The drip molding is different for non VT cars, it's made to fit the bare driprail only. VT molding is a bit wider so it will fit over the VT material that should be molded into the driprail channel and right up to the outer edge. Check with your vendor, if they sold you molding for a non VT car or don't know the difference and tell you they are all the same, they're wrong. It's not an easy task for sure...gotta have help and gotta start at the "j" piece by overlapping it roughly 1/2". There is no easy way to roll it over the drip rail just patience. I wore a pair of leather gloves and sorta rolled it over the rail top and smacked in place underneath the rail every few inches. Attaching the "j" to the drip molding makes attaching the belt molding piece a bit easier.
If I lived near you, we'd "git 'er done". Sorry this is stressing you out bro.  :pity:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Mopar Crazy

I bought the set from Vans in Carlisle. I read something about the vt and non-vt moldings a while back. I did ask about that and they said it's all the same.
I also asked Laysons at the show, and they said the same thing. So i went with Vans because they were about $40.00 cheaper then everyone else.   
I ques I'll start calling around to other places and see what I can come up with... If I do find someone selling VT molding I will def. post it for other guys...
Thanks for the good words and advice...... :cheers:
MC