News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird tires, what would you do?

Started by Hoser2455, August 06, 2012, 05:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoser2455

I am in the process of restoring a Superbird.  I have to buy tires for it.  Would you buy the Polyglass GT tires for the original look, or would you buy some other newer style radial tires for the better handling.  Do the Polyglass tires handle that bad for just normal driving?  What would you do?

Ghoste

I don't know that I'd say they "handle" necessarily worse but they definitely feel that way.  They "wander" more when you are driving but as for the ability to go around corners I think they might be better than their reputation today often says.  However I do think the radials offer improvements. 
How much do you plan to drive the car?  If showing more than driving and not expecting the driving to be hard and fast right out at the edge, go reproduction original style.  If you plan to drive it a bunch and you want the better ride and handling of a modern tire, get a good radial.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Ghoste on August 06, 2012, 05:52:44 AM
I don't know that I'd say they "handle" necessarily worse but they definitely feel that way.  They "wander" more when you are driving but as for the ability to go around corners I think they might be better than their reputation today often says.  However I do think the radials offer improvements. 
How much do you plan to drive the car?  If showing more than driving and not expecting the driving to be hard and fast right out at the edge, go reproduction original style.  If you plan to drive it a bunch and you want the better ride and handling of a modern tire, get a good radial.

:iagree:

I had the Goodyear Polyglas GT's on my Daytona... Albeit they looked correct, they were extremely uncomfortable on the road, never mind they "wandered" all over the place. I would get a nice set of raised-white-letter radials of at least a 255/60R/15 (if you have 15's) all the way around.. It'll fill up those b-body wheel wells and create a nice stance...   
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

if your going to drive the car at all get the radials  :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

62 Max

Hope ever wear out !

Ghoste

I had a set of the ST's once, they were a good tire. :yesnod:

pettybird

I'm impressed with the Firestone Indy 500 tires I have on the Daytona.  245/60 here but 255/60 wouldn't hurt the look like Troy said...

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

WINGIN IT

What about redline radials?
Are they a correct style for 70 ?

62 Max

pettybird

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WINGIN IT

Not to go too off topic, or get my head lopped off  :rotz:
how about redlines on a Daytona...  :icon_smile_big:

nascarxx29

Daytonas had white lines and redlines there ok .Superbird had raised letter tires .Does anyone repo the correct raised white letter look on a radial
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

red69superbee

what is the correct tire for charger 500?? red line,white line?

nascarxx29

Red streak for a 500 going by this advertisement.And white at no additional cost
http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/gallery/facts/69_Charger0027
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

Quote from: red69superbee on August 06, 2012, 09:38:53 PM
what is the correct tire for charger 500?? red line,white line?

yes.

it'll be on your broadcast sheet

Hoser2455

I do plan on driving the car quite a bit so the radials would be nicer, but I know having the original GT's on it might help it at a show just a little.  Still a tough decision, could end being a money thing whatever is cheaper.  Did all Superbirds come with the raised white letter Goodyear GT spare?  If so, I could buy 1 GT for the spare if I bought the other 4 being radials.  Thanks.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hoser2455 on August 08, 2012, 03:07:55 AM
I do plan on driving the car quite a bit so the radials would be nicer, but I know having the original GT's on it might help it at a show just a little.  Still a tough decision, could end being a money thing whatever is cheaper.  Did all Superbirds come with the raised white letter Goodyear GT spare?  If so, I could buy 1 GT for the spare if I bought the other 4 being radials.  Thanks.

After doing these shows and cars for over 30 years now, don't worry about the "car show" aspect of it. It'll do great on its own. It's the journey to and fro that's the real fun part and you wanna be comfortable doing it...... Plus, the original GT's really don't fill up those wheel wells as the Mopar-Gods intended...   :D
Troy

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 08, 2012, 07:10:33 AM
Quote from: Hoser2455 on August 08, 2012, 03:07:55 AM

After doing these shows and cars for over 30 years now, don't worry about the "car show" aspect of it. It'll do great on its own. It's the journey to and fro that's the real fun part and you wanna be comfortable doing it...... Plus, the original GT's really don't fill up those wheel wells as the Mopar-Gods intended...   :D

What he said!   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

red69superbee

thanks for the info and answers, i wish i had the broadcast sheet..

Hoser2455

Ok, thanks guys, you might have sold me on the radials now, and it looks like it might be cheaper also.

Ghoste

Oh yeah, the repro tires do not come cheap.