News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CONGRATS TO JOHN A. ON WINNING OE GOLD!

Started by Mopar John, August 13, 2012, 01:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

unrulyprocuda

Congrats John I have watched your build from day one and i would say that its probably the finest mopar restoration that Paul Jacobs has ever done of course the talents of Troy Angelly on paint and Body work is the best in the country having said that i think it sucks that Paul is retiring from full restorations he wants to do a few custom builds and im sure he will set the car community on fire with the cars hes going to do next and with any luck someone will retain him to do another perfect Daytona or Superbird in the future.Enjoy it and im sorry we didnot hang out when you were in town hope to see you soon at another car show.

Ghoste

ECS

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGIN IT on August 16, 2012, 11:48:13 AM
No trophy, no plaque, just your head held high and your pockets empty.
I think that's a pretty good image... :smilielol:

Ahhhhhhhh, no form of documentation that a particular car has earned OEM-whatever? Come on.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 18, 2012, 02:19:12 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, no form of documentation that a particular car has earned OEM-whatever? Come on.........
Here is what happened in 2010 when we won OE GOLD with our Daytona. When we went up to the awards ceremony and drove down the dragstrip at National Trail we were given an EMPTY wooden frame! We were told about this before hand and that we would recieve the offical certificate with the gold seal and the judging summary in about 3 months! That is what happened and here is a picture of ours from 2010!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on August 18, 2012, 08:36:24 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on August 18, 2012, 02:19:12 PM

Here is what happened in 2010 when we won OE GOLD with our Daytona. When we went up to the awards ceremony and drove down the dragstrip at National Trail we were given an EMPTY wooden frame! We were told about this before hand and that we would recieve the offical certificate with the gold seal and the judging summary in about 3 months! That is what happened and here is a picture of ours from 2010!
MJ

Thanks John.
That's what I was referring to......... Too bad the Three Amigos didn't get anything this year ( or appears they aren't). I would think that such a pinnacle of achievement and high standards would always have a memento of accomplishment.. ( Plus it would chronicle the car's pedigree for values sake )
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ECS

Here is what happened in 2010 when we won OE GOLD with our Daytona.........the judging summary.........from 2010!
MJ

Hi John,
I was just curious.  Did you use "red" power steering/transmission fluid in your reservoir at the 2010 OE Nationals?  If not, was there any mention at all on that particular subject matter anywhere in your Judging Summary?  Thanks!

DW

Mopar John

Quote from: ECS on August 19, 2012, 11:05:51 PM
Here is what happened in 2010 when we won OE GOLD with our Daytona.........the judging summary.........from 2010!
MJ

Hi John,
I was just curious.  Did you use "red" power steering/transmission fluid in your reservoir at the 2010 OE Nationals?  If not, was there any mention at all on that particular subject matter anywhere in your Judging Summary?  Thanks!

DW
Dave,
Funny you pop up with a question for me! I have been thinking about contacting you about some items you have done recently. I will pm you on that.
 To answer your question, We put a clear or close to clear fluid in the power steering resevoir. No mention of any fluids on the summary.
John

69daytona

Thanks John.
That's what I was referring to......... Too bad the Three Amigos didn't get anything this year ( or appears they aren't). I would think that such a pinnacle of achievement and high standards would always have a memento of accomplishment.. ( Plus it would chronicle the car's pedigree for values sake )
[/quote]
Seeing as this is Dodge's last year in NASCAR Cup Racing, it would be even more fitting for All the OE Gold Daytona winners at all events this year to receive a plaque or anything else to commemorate the connection of the Daytona's to NASCAR Racing.
What took the Best in Show?

ECS

Quote from: Mopar John on August 20, 2012, 07:22:36 PM
Funny you pop up with a question for me! I have been thinking about contacting you about some items you have done recently. I will pm you on that.
To answer your question, We put a clear or close to clear fluid in the power steering resevoir. No mention of any fluids on the summary.
John

Hi John,
You just confirmed more than two years of suspicion and "paranoid" speculation. :lol:  Thanks for your response.  Your PM on Window Stickers has been one of a few that I have received.  I would have responded before now but there are those who consider the Facts and Education of the Automotive Industry as "gutter" talk.  I always thought "gutter" talk consisted of falsehoods and/or unsubstantiated attacks from the shadows.  When incorrect aspects are accepted as "correct" the Hobby is mislead and there is a danger of History being re-written!

You observations about Gene's and John's Window Stickers being "authentic" is absolutely correct.  I spent months recreating the precise size, option codes, horizontal perforations and vertical collated edges for the 1969 style.  Gene Lewis brought in copies of various originals and Tom Barcroft provided an original 1969 Window Sticker from his car.  These were Federally Mandated and required on all vehicles after the Automobile Information Disclosure Act took effect in 1959.

1969 Monroney Labels were COMPLETELY different than 1970 versions which were printed in July of 1969.  They were much larger than the 1970 version and had to be placed in the front window of the vehicle because they were too large to fit in the quarter window area.  You would never see "ANTI-THEFT LOCK TRANSMISSION & STEERING WHEEL" on a Daytona Window Sticker because that option did not come out until the 1970 model year.  For those who saw this displayed on one of the other vehicles, it was incorrect!  Who ever made it did not understand the details surrounding the codes and format of a correct 1969 Monroney Window Sticker.  It would be interesting to see if the Judges noticed the difference between the correct ones and the one that represented a hybrid of the 69 & 70 versions.  :shruggy:

nascarxx29

:Twocents:  The one thing I notice on window stickers When I compare to my originals is the fonts.Another good daytona paperwork reference

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,84332.msg947481.html#msg947481
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

FJ5WING

just to get the thread back on track and Johns car,

I was at Englishtown and got to see the beauty in person. The car is awsome and couldnt wait to see it and congratulate John for all of his hard work. sorry no pics because I never have a camera.......
wingless now, but still around.

nascarxx29

I Had a chance to go early Sun only seen the B5 Superbird from MD
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

resq302

I was lucky enough to see Johns car finally in person and all I can say is the pics do not do it any justice!  Fantastic car and even learned a lot about the car and how daytonas were done.  The book that John had on it also was phenominal.

So Dave, how close are your fonts on the window stickers that you make up?  Lets see some examples! :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

johntpr

Thanks Brian, and thanks for your help at the Show !

resq302

No problem John.  You know anytime you need help with something you can call on me!  Glad we figured it out got the car into the trailer before it started really coming down!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemigeno

What is it with rain and car shows this August?  Drought conditions all summer - and the moment it's time to display something you'd prefer not see rain, boom... 

:brickwall:

Also hope you're getting around a little better, John. 

resq302

Gene,

Its not that it was a torrential down pour.  It started spitting and John wanted to load up the car before it got any worse.  While we were loading up the car in the trailer, it started coming down more steady.  Not the point of drenching a car (as mine was still outside) but it was enough on the car to make it look like a nice picture with all the rain drops on it.  Picture a car having the chicken pox.   :lol:  Since I was in the invitational display, they had a tent where we could have put our cars under or have them out in front to display them in the sun.  I opted for the sun but when I was done helping John get it inside the trailer, I went back and moved the charger under the tent and went back to help John with tying the daytona down.  When I got back to my car, it had all the rain drops dried off by the heat and all I needed to do was a quick wipe down to remove any dirt the rain picked up on the way down.
Brian

paul jacobs

Hello Dave!
Again I would like to thank you for your help with Johns car, as well as many others who helped along the way. Unfortunately, you are correct on many points.
You see, right now there are people, who frequent this board, are working behind the scenes. They have the ear of magazine publishers, web site moderators and others in the hobby. They are trying to PURPOSELY discredit what was accomplished at the nationals and turn it into their own agenda.  They have spoken negatively about the Nationals staff, as well as other contestant's, and it is without justifyable cause.
I'm sick and tired of getting phone calls and emails in regards to whatever "atrocity" took place at the Nat's.  GROW UP, and deal with it. You know who you are, and if it keeps up, I will in fact start posting pictures and documents to put you in your place. This is supposed to be a fun hobby for everyone to enjoy, not cut each others throats!!!!!!

paul jacobs

Now that I go the petty stuff out of the way how bout some pics!
Exterior shot. The car was color matched to the paint under the windshield gasket. We used PPG enamel as original.

paul jacobs

Interior
Thanks to the low 26000 miles on the car, we were able to use nearly every original interior componenets-seat covers, carpet, all door and dash pads, seat belts/labels etc! The front seat covers were from NOS material I had purchased 17 years ago for a project that never came to be. Dave Walden provided a new detail cream that will be to interior what RPM is to bare metal! Mike Mancini made the gauges look & worl like magic.

paul jacobs

Even with the low mileage, we examined the engine and found the bearings to be pretty dirty. Everything else was perfect and reused with a good cleanup and hone. We were even able to restore the original belts! The hoses are NOS assembly style. New PCV hoses were stamped using the originals as a pattern-they are not like the current reproduction Gates yellow 11/32" stuff out there. They were actually KV brand. I remember John Borzychs car actually had white Gates dated hoses on his. There are at least 4 original style PCV hoses I have founc in mid 69 alone!  ALL original underhood wiring, battery cables and hoses were restored to new by unwrapping, cleaning and re-wrapping them. NOS pluga and wires were used, though we had to modify a few date codes because locating a 1st/2nd quarter set ended up being an impossible find, even after a couple of years! The original alternator and starter were restored by Jim Ridge with excellent results! He matched every diode date code to the originals. Even the original washer jug and pump were restored and look great. This is the advantage of starting with such a good car.

paul jacobs

We were pretty conservative on the yellow overspray on the underhood components because that's the way on this car. Gene's car was quite different and showed more, but they were all different anyway.