News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wingcar Race Body Question

Started by wingcar, August 17, 2012, 03:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcar

I have a question:  During the course of a conversation with a wingcar owner, the question of whether builders of NASCAR race Daytona or Superbirds were allowed to remove the dip railing along the top of the side windows to make the body cleaner and more aerodynamic.  I have looked at a lot of pictures and all of them seem to show the railing as still being attached.  In addition, the A-pillar wind deflector moulding is shaped for use with the dip railing.  so it would seem as if they all kept the railing, no doubt due to the rulebook.  However, I did notice the Red #61 Superbird which this individual sited as his proof doesn't have the railing, but I believe this is not an original race Superbird from back in the day. (But, it is beauiful none the less.) Any thoughts.......
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

odcics2

Per Nascar rules, you HAD to have the drip rail.   USAC was a bit more lenient.  

If you see a vintage photo of a Nascar Daytona, or SuperBird, without the drip rails, plain and simple - It's not Nascar legal.   Maybe you are looking at an ARCA or USAC race car??  

Better example:  The #71 Daytona that ran on the Bonneville Salt Flats...  That run was USAC sanctioned, NOT Nascar. Therefore the body was super cheated up.  
No drip rails, flush rear window, "mini" fender scoops, flush "A" pillar moldings, smaller side glass (especially the 1/4 glass) Lower than the 6.5" frame to ground Nascar rule. Also appears to have two 4 bbl. carbs on it.
And here is a good one: It set a 100 mile record without a pit stop.  Those race hemis got 4 miles to the gallon.   Legal fuel tank size was 22 gallons.    That makes 88 miles. See where this is going??

See the vintage photos on aerowarriors.com.  
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

The red #61 belongs to Tim Hunter in NC.  It is a modern build and has no connection 1970 race car chassis specs.   Tim has done some speed trial runs at Maxton with the car.   By the safety equipment on the car and the way it is configured, his max speed was limited to something under 150 mph.  He would like to take the car a little farther.   It is a well built and very pretty car.