News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mercury Cyclone question

Started by clausoe, February 04, 2006, 06:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clausoe

I hope this non-mopar post doesn't make me unpopular, :-\

Saw a pic of a white 68 cyclone fastback in a magazine and thought it was really nice. I tried to do a google search and could hardly find any pics of any fastbacks at all. Is this a hard to find car? What do you all think of this car? The thing that got my attention in the magazine was that the first quarter of a second I saw it, it kind of resembled a first generation charger.

Chad L. Magee

They can be relatively hard to find in good shape.  Cougers are much easier to find as they were a byproduct ponycar thanks to the mustang, thus built in large numbers.  Cyclones had a GT option much like the mustang.  They had many different engine combinations avaliable, but a 390 was usually the top engine (except for a few 427s that were possibly built).  Remember, 428 CJ were first released in mustangs and then other cars......  As for Cyclones, most people want the aero cars that raced on NASCAR and had versions avaliable for the street (I think those are 1969 models though) like Dan Gurny specials.......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Silver R/T

first time I see one. Looks like it has few cars put into it, even first gen Charger
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mefirst

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

golden73

Not my cup of tea..... but whatever floats your boat

Troy

The Cyclone is part of the Comet line from Mercury which is roughly equivalent to the Fairlane/Torino and is built on the same chassis. From what I have read, they made Cyclone 6,105 GT fastbacks in 1968, 12,260 Cyclones, and about 150,000 total Comets. The top of the line engine was a Ram Air 428 Cobra Jet. :D I think the main engine was a 302 and you could also get a 390. The "aero" version of the car was called the "Spoiler" and showed up in 1969. It competed with the Charger 500 in NASCAR. There's a 69 428 Cobra at the resto shop where one of my cars was so I had to do some reading... :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nh_mopar_fan

My best friend had a 71 or 72. Man, that was one butt ugly front end.

'CUDA360

Yep.. They are pretty cool. If I were into Dorfs...

There is a local '69 spoiler that goes to the car shows around here and I always stop and look at it.
(mercurys answer to the Charger 500)

RallyeMike

There is one of the later model ones for sale in my neighborhood for sale in the $3500 range. White runner with a good body. I was suprised it was that reasonably priced. The nose is kind of ugly.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Vainglory, Esq.

I like the '68-'70 fastback Torinos and Cyclones, but I drool over the Torino Talladegas and especially Cyclone Spoilers.  They can be had at a much more reasonable price than their winged counterparts on the Mopar side.

Ghoste

A close friend of mine has a 68 Cyclone GT with a 428 CJ in it.  It's an automatic non ram air car.  They are a couple of inches shorter and a couple of hundred pounds lighter than a fastback Charger.  We checked. :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

yea man there on my cars i want to own.  a ford aero car,  Ram Air 428 Cobra Jet. might be fun to drive
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

janimm

There is one cruising around here in my home town. Really a good looking ride! First time I saw it I had to stop to check it out closer...

BrianShaughnessy

A Torino Cobra is one of those cars I'd like if I had an unlimited budget and garage space.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

greenpigs

Is it me or do many Mopar guys\girls like Fords & Mercury's, but would walk before owning a GM product?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

golden73

Quote from: greenpigs on February 05, 2006, 09:23:01 AM
Is it me or do many Mopar guys\girls like Fords & Mercury's, but would walk before owning a GM product?

No, I see that too.... and I don't get it either.

Drache

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on February 05, 2006, 09:02:45 AM
A Torino Cobra is one of those cars I'd like if I had an unlimited budget and garage space.

My friend found a '69 Torino Cobra 4spd with a 428 Cobra Jet but the guy wont sell it. It's just sitting a lean-to sort of structure under a tarp.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Ghoste on February 05, 2006, 01:47:12 AM
A close friend of mine has a 68 Cyclone GT with a 428 CJ in it.  It's an automatic non ram air car.  They are a couple of inches shorter and a couple of hundred pounds lighter than a fastback Charger.  We checked. :icon_smile_big:
Thats why we were shoveling _____ against the tide on the superspeedways.I had the 500 parked beside a Ford Talladega and the 500  looked wider than the Talladega.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

72_rallye

WAY BACK IN 1982,,,,My neighbor across the street from me had an orange with white strips 68' cyclone, 302 2bbl, 3 on the tree. I liked the car but the column shift wasn't cool, so it turned me off( dumb kid). I liked my 71 green charger more,,,here are some pics(if they come out) of my charger and the cyclone is partially in the pic. By the way the cool dude sitting on my hood is none other than 2fast4u..

69_500

Well the Dan Gurney Specials and the Cale Yarburough specials of the Cyclone Spoilers II are great looking cars to me. Personally I prefer the 1969 Talladega's though. Then again one of each would be nice, to add to a collection. To have one of every one of the aero cars that the manufactuers made.