News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE 2012 AERO CARS

Started by Mopar John, August 18, 2012, 09:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

On wednesday after work I went home and changed clothes and helped 426 Linda load up for our trip to the 2012 Woodward Dream cruise! I had been told a lot about this event and had been wanting to go since 2007! I heard that it actually starts on Monday and builds up to the big day on Saturday. I thought we would get there Wednesday night and go from there. We left about 4:30 Central time and arrived around 9:30pm eastern time to our hotel. After checking in we unloaded our 2012 cruise/aero spy vehicle shown in the first picture! After checking things out we decided that not much was happening and to get a good nights sleep and try to cruise the whole route on Thursday. On thursday we had a late breakfast and headed for Woodward! We cruised the entire 17 miles up and back. We took notes and found all the important venues. We then decided to stop and have lunch at one of the more talked about eateries the
RED COAT TAVERN! This place has great burgers cooked the way you want with a very large choice of toppings. Our biggest diasappointment was the VERY salty french fries. The second picture is of the sign on the wall. We cruised some more and settled in near the big Mopar display at 13 mile road. We watched for quite a while and the amount of cars was way up from Wednesday! But no AERO cars? Linda and I decided that we would start out around the same time on Friday which was around 11am. When we got to Wooward it was unbelieveable! It was already packed with about 1/3 of the cars being cruise cars! The lots were full and in most places people in chairs two deep watching! WOW! It took us a good while to find a spot for Linda's Shelby somewhere near where we wanted to be!
On Friday we did spot 1 Superbird that was lime green and it did cruise by! It is in my third picture. When we had time we walked through the Mopar display that had new cars, concepts and about 30 other muscle cars. In there was an orange first gen Charger with a white wing! The license plate said "WING 1" and many people were taking pictures of this car thinking it was the first Daytona built! I have seen pictures of it before but I have attached one here. By 3pm Friday the cruisers were definately taking over and it was a sight to see! They were estimating 50,000 cars and a million people for Saturday! Linda and I both had to work today so we left early Friday evening having enjoyed the experience!
MJ

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Thanks for sharing... Sounds like you two had fun regardless of the aero-turnout.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

That 1st gen with the wing would have a fair drive to Woodward.

hemi-hampton

It was packed Saturday with perfect weather. You mean you left before the big day? LEON.

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 19, 2012, 10:44:20 AM
It was packed Saturday with perfect weather. You mean you left before the big day? LEON.
Leon,
This year was a first time deal and we heard that on Saturday it would be grid lock! Linda and I both had to work Saturday so yes we missed the big day. Friday was awesome and at that point was the biggest cruise that we had ever taken part in! With more planning we will be back again!
MJ

limelightsuperbird528

Hello , I am Jim Palazzolo. That is my lime green bird clone at woodward this past weekend. Same spot with it since the first cruise back in '95. As soon as I finish fabricating the leading edge of the scooped hood I am going to clone it into the rainbow striped bird that I remember as a kid. It has been finished in lime green for almost 2 decades and time to get really wild and bring back memories and make new ones. Any other pictures or info of this car would be helpful. Thanks, Jim

moparstuart

Quote from: limelightsuperbird528 on August 20, 2012, 11:57:51 PM
Hello , I am Jim Palazzolo. That is my lime green bird clone at woodward this past weekend. Same spot with it since the first cruise back in '95. As soon as I finish fabricating the leading edge of the scooped hood I am going to clone it into the rainbow striped bird that I remember as a kid. It has been finished in lime green for almost 2 decades and time to get really wild and bring back memories and make new ones. Any other pictures or info of this car would be helpful. Thanks, Jim
:popcrn:

moparstuart

moparstuart

moparstuart

moparstuart

:popcrn:  this is how the car looks today 
its a real six pac 4 speed bird and its currently freshly restored and for sale

moparstuart

wayne still has the wing , its on his bird clone , hes building a race car numbered car clone

limelightsuperbird528

Hello, this is Jim.  Nice to talk to you again. I joined back around January 2011 "Cross country travels with my superbird" thread.  I got busy building a 1969 Cadillac McClain flower car. With that done I can finally get to building that rainbow bird I saw as a kid. When I first showed my wife a picture of it she said "Wicked Bird". That was almost 20 years ago and that name always stuck with me. Time to go back in time and get really wild. I love all the crazy 70's lace print, pearl metallic way out paint jobs on old drag cars or street cars. If the original artwork is still on the wing is it possible to get some other close up shots so I can digitally reproduce the bird exactly. Does anyone know the original color names or paint codes. Does any of the original stripes still exist for computer or eye color matching paint mixes. Were the Plymouth letters still under the paint and also bird decal on nose. I think that might look good similar to ghost flames effect, maybe even psychedelic. Are the side pipes still around. Are they Hooker brand? For sale maybe? I'm not sure how the stripes ended at rear of hood. Any other facts about this car would be interesting to me. Anyone have a copy of the issue it appeared on way back when? I would like to get better copys of some hard to see pictures I've seen posted on this site. Thanks for posting the pics.  Any help making this car exact is very much appreciated, Jim.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: moparstuart on August 21, 2012, 08:37:39 AM

Nice , how much?

moparstuart

Quote from: limelightsuperbird528 on August 21, 2012, 11:09:05 AM
Hello, this is Jim.  Nice to talk to you again. I joined back around January 2011 "Cross country travels with my superbird" thread.  I got busy building a 1969 Cadillac McClain flower car. With that done I can finally get to building that rainbow bird I saw as a kid. When I first showed my wife a picture of it she said "Wicked Bird". That was almost 20 years ago and that name always stuck with me. Time to go back in time and get really wild. I love all the crazy 70's lace print, pearl metallic way out paint jobs on old drag cars or street cars. If the original artwork is still on the wing is it possible to get some other close up shots so I can digitally reproduce the bird exactly. Does anyone know the original color names or paint codes. Does any of the original stripes still exist for computer or eye color matching paint mixes. Were the Plymouth letters still under the paint and also bird decal on nose. I think that might look good similar to ghost flames effect, maybe even psychedelic. Are the side pipes still around. Are they Hooker brand? For sale maybe? I'm not sure how the stripes ended at rear of hood. Any other facts about this car would be interesting to me. Anyone have a copy of the issue it appeared on way back when? I would like to get better copys of some hard to see pictures I've seen posted on this site. Thanks for posting the pics.  Any help making this car exact is very much appreciated, Jim.
you might direct anymore questions to wayne , because I have supplied all the info i personally know .

wayne Perkins(farmboy36b@comcast.net)

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGIN IT on August 21, 2012, 01:38:52 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on August 21, 2012, 08:37:39 AM

Nice , how much?
wayne Perkins(farmboy36b@comcast.net)

odcics2

Now, all it needs is to be restored back to "The Rainbow Car", so it can be a unique, 'one off' car again!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

limelightsuperbird528

Moparstuart, thanks for all of the pictures, they are very helpful. I will email Wayne for more info. I really appreciate the lead for him.

moparstuart

Quote from: limelightsuperbird528 on August 22, 2012, 10:34:16 AM
Moparstuart, thanks for all of the pictures, they are very helpful. I will email Wayne for more info. I really appreciate the lead for him.
no problem hes a great friend and only lives about 10 minutes from me .

moparstuart

Wayne said the side pipes were rotting out from the inside and he gave them away 

moparstuart

Quote from: limelightsuperbird528 on August 21, 2012, 11:09:05 AM
Are you saying this car was in a magazine  ???     way back when  ??  wayne didnt know anything about magazine coverage of it
:shruggy: 

odcics2

YUUUP!    Back in the day, it did have magazine coverage.   Early eighties perhaps?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

limelightsuperbird528

I know it was on the cover for sale, either the  National Autotrader or Old Car Trader late 80's I believe. Does anyone know if someone still has the sidepipes laying around ? I am pretty sure it's the National Autotrader with the cars cut out and pasted on the cover in color if anyone has old copies. Looked like the car was cut out of the shot of it on the grass with the white houses in the background. Wayne said he can help out later with measurements and colors of the stripes so I can get it real close. I want to have the wing bird reproduced on wrap and I'll just wrap it on after I paint the wing white. Unless someone could airbrush it exact? I'm going to try real hard to locate a copy of that magazine and others. Can't wait until winter gets here to tear the green car apart. I'm looking for a set sidepipes with the seperate tubes at the front if anyone has some. Thanks,  Jim