News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Dino on September 13, 2018, 07:41:55 PM
It's starting to look like a car again. Lots to do still but it's nice to see less parts on the shelf and more on the car.

Looking good. One part at a time and you'll be cruising in no time!
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on September 13, 2018, 08:14:02 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 13, 2018, 07:41:55 PM
It's starting to look like a car again. Lots to do still but it's nice to see less parts on the shelf and more on the car.

Looking good. One part at a time and you'll be cruising in no time!

Thanks!

Once I'm done assembling the parts I have I'll have to spend a bit of dough on a fuel system, and I need some brake parts still. MC, lines, little things. I'm not there yet but I feel I'm getting closer every day!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

I found keeping a small note pad in the car helped. Things like the clips for door pads, little details that may halt completion can pile up. Playing "Where did I put that" cost me many hours of delay!  :eek2: 

Dino

It's even worse! I have all my parts in boxes and on shelves so when I can't find something it can take me a while to figure out I never had it in the first place! Today I wanted to install the inner front fender shields and I was missing 3 of the screws. Took me half an hour of looking to realize they'd been gone before I got the damn car!   :lol:

Once the side glass is aligned I need to tackle the alarm and remote starter install. I sure wish I would remember how to do that!  :eek2:

b5blue

Oh boy just like me! Wasted about 2 hours looking for stereo's manual so I can adjust to test possible new front speakers. Found it last night by accident.  :lol:  (After downloading and printing one days ago.)

Dino

Took the dash apart, while it's in the car, and prepped it for paint. Headliner is prepped as well. Bottoms of the doors need some sanding and primer before the lot can be painted black.

Dash pads, arm rests, and a bunch of other stuff went from green to black today, very satisfying! SEM Landau black on all soft parts and Trim black on al metal and plastics parts (yet to do)

Tomorrow I'll do the door panels, after some minor repairs. I had to order a dash pad repair filler for the upper pads. They don't look great but for now they'll have to do.

INTMD8

Not entirely what I did though I did modify the seats for the stock head rests.  Got my seats back from the upholstery shop. They are from a 2013 Chrysler 200 convertible. 6 way power, flip forward and integrated seat belts.

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

TexasStroker

Quote from: INTMD8 on September 23, 2018, 09:37:53 AM
Not entirely what I did though I did modify the seats for the stock head rests.  Got my seats back from the upholstery shop. They are from a 2013 Chrysler 200 convertible. 6 way power, flip forward and integrated seat belts.

Nice...would be interested to see them in the car!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

twenty mike mike

The car was put back rather hastily after it was painted, since I was moving. I finally have time to do the things I wanted to do before it went together, such as clean up the upper and lower radiator support and install the Classic Air condenser.

Dino

Looks awesome!   :2thumbs:

I've been busy on mine. The interior is no longer green. Dash, inner doors, and trim was painted SEM Trim Black. Soft parts and headliner were painted SEM Landau Black. Lots of parts!

Door and quarter panels were decent but for the price of new ones I'll just go that route. Seat covers will be replaced as well. No point saving mine.
I tried to restore the upper pads but I'm just not happy with how they're turning out so I'll be recovering them. I have 3 different kinds of vinyl so I'll use something that looks good in the car, whatever that is.

Today I started covering the floors with insulation. Main cabin is almost done, I ran out of material. Tomorrow I'll finish up and will do the trunk as well.

After that it's time to finish the electrical project which is going to be a good amount of work. Once that is done I'll tackle the EFI and finish up the brake work.

Getting closer!

igozumn

I have not had a horn button/cap on my Grant wheel, well, ever.  The horn switch plate was old and worn and wouldn't hold the cap.  Didn't want to spend the money to fix it, so rigged a rubber plug with foam over it to hold the switch plate out, like a spring, so it would still function.  I've been fixing up the interior over the last couple years.  Since the Fitech cured the exhaust fume issue (severely out of tune carb), I finally felt confident in replacing stuff that before would have just become stinky from fumes.  First carpet, then back seat cover.  Few months back, door panels, armrests and bezels.  I've been thinking about front seat covers this winter, but will wait and see.  SE leather is not cheap.

Anyway, my buddy mentioned the other day about the steering wheel becoming about the last eyesore in my interior, that is to say, once the front seats are done.  I'd been thinking about it, so I told him what I'd been thinking.  I really like the wood 13.5" Grant wheel I pulled out of an abandoned truck on a friend's farm.  Right size, right feel, and the poorly assembled pieces of wood had loosened up over the years.  Like girls back in grade school playing with their hair, the rivets and wood gave me something to fiddle with at lights and while running down the highway.  

Grant makes a stainless wood version, but only in 15".  A new 13.5" chrome, which is what I have (though scratched, faded, etc.), would not be expensive to replace if my experiment didn't go well.  The normal Grant caps are domed, so attaching something to the center would be difficult, but they make caps with a flat center and also logo'd.  But the none of the logos appealed to me.  I ordered the cheapest cap I could find on ebay and when it arrived, I popped out the center of an original cap I had laying around.  With the lip of the center medallion trimmed off, it should fit well in the Grant cap depression.  Ordered a new medallion, as the one I had laying around had a deep scratch in it, and ordered a new Grant adapter, as I needed the new switch plate and spring.  

Taped up the wood and bead blasted the chrome on the wheel and the cover for the turn signal switch and the horn button.  I used Krylon Professional satin stainless spray paint for the wheel.  It goes on super thin and does dry to a rough, sandpaper-like finish.  You could still see the blast pattern on the chrome after 3 coats, so it took many, many coats for complete coverage.  I had painted an ashtray and the steering column 25ish years ago with whatever I could find at Hobby Lobby, and it matched pretty well.  I knew finding the exact same paint would be impossible.  But, I had some flat brown spray paint (krylon again?) from a camo project and it should match close enough.  

It did.  Trimmed off the lip on the new medallion, taped up the edge and painted it flat black.  Initially tried it with the same camo brown, but it just made that edge stand out more and it needed to be hidden.  3M trim tape to hold it on.  

When I pulled the tape off, the tape pulled a good portion of the grease and grime off with it.  Now the wheel looked nasty.  Started to steel wool the entire wheel and it was taking forever.  Plus the grime in the finger grooves would be a problem.  Used a small wire wheel on the dremel and cleaned every groove as best as I could.  Got back on the steel wool and was about to give up when the light bulb lit upstairs.  It's grease and grime, right?  I wonder.....if....wax and grease remover would remove "grease"?  Hey, I have some of that over here.  Let's try it.  Put some on a rag and....wipe wipe wipe, done.   Holy cow!  Took 4 minutes to do the entire wheel!  Went back over the finger grooves and it was done, but looking a little dry.  Some cutting board oil (from the kitchen) and the wood was now looking new.  Clamped a center punch in the vise and rotated the wheel to set each rivet on it.  3 light taps with a large roll pin punch tightened up the aluminum rivets.  I think the holes were drilled wonky in either the rim or the wood pieces, hence the poor fitment.

It would of course look better if the medallion was flush with the horn button, but very happy otherwise.

A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

HeavyFuel

Ghoste

Had it in the local Christmas parade just alst Friday night.  Probably be hibernating the rest of the season now as the salt should start any day now.

Sendero

After 15 or so years... putting in a new "Mr. SixPack" cam with the much needed intake gaskets. Also putting on a new Accurate Exhaust system bought in July. Getting stock intake and valve covers powder coated. Shipped out the original air conditioning to have restored as well.

70 sublime

I moved my 69 Charger back into the main shop today
Been sitting outside in another non heated shed for the last 2 months
Just at the freezing point today
Cranked it over and pumped the gas , after 4 tries it caught and ran like a top ( 383)
Backed it out of shed all the way around and right into the main shop where it is sitting by the 70
Probably the last time they will be sitting side by side for quit some while as when weather cooperates I wil be moving the 70 to my house garage ( once I get enough junk moved )

Strange how they both seem to be about the same colour black with white top
Dam I need to get some green paint on the 69 soooon 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

Installed a new gear in my headlight door motor fixing the doors down buzzing sound.  Thanks to Chris!   :2thumbs:

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

qwick68

Put mine on dollies and pushed it further in the corner away from the wifes car....got a go cart project im getting ready to do for my daughter who will be 5 this summer.....
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

WHITE AND RED 69

Since the stock a/c box doesn't work with the updated harness I have, I just bought a Vintage Air unit to replace the stock box. Looks like a great kit and has the weight of a feather compared to the old anchor that is in there now.

Going to route the hoses a little different than the kit instructs but will still go for a clean look in the engine bay.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

69rtse4spd

Nothing lately but have a guy coming over Sat. to look at the 69 Red S.E., might just sell. Just had a buddy pass away at 62 on Monday. 

dodgey68

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on February 18, 2019, 09:10:36 PM
Since the stock a/c box doesn't work with the updated harness I have, I just bought a Vintage Air unit to replace the stock box. Looks like a great kit and has the weight of a feather compared to the old anchor that is in there now.

Going to route the hoses a little different than the kit instructs but will still go for a clean look in the engine bay.

hey WHITE AND RED 69
Have you made a post on fitting this kit as i was thinking  of doing the same,, keep us posted on how this goes,, pics would be nice,,  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: dodgey68 on February 22, 2019, 08:25:38 PM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on February 18, 2019, 09:10:36 PM

hey WHITE AND RED 69
Have you made a post on fitting this kit as i was thinking  of doing the same,, keep us posted on how this goes,, pics would be nice,,  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Not yet, I'm waiting on some final parts and a crimper but I'm hoping to get started in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to get a bunch of photos and post em up.   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Making some progress. Front and rear 3 point retractable seat belts are mocked up so I'm just finishing up the esthetics. Most of the front belts are hidden behind the interior panel and upper pad. I just bought some trim bezels for the rear belts where they come through the package tray, and of all cars they're from a Delorean! I hope they work out.

New seat covers and panels are on the way from Legendary.

I'll have to redo a bit of paint work here and there. I scratched the hell out of the roof rail trim covering the headliner edge by putting on a rear upper pad with a bent corner.  ::)   Oh well, she ain't a spring chicken anymore so it's not the first nor the last scratch.

All electronic and electric upgrades are done so we've got power doors, trunk, one touch windows and all remote operated. Alarm, remote start, and GPS tracker installed. Now if I get a manual transmission then the alarm will be redundant!   :lol:  Next winter.   :coolgleamA:

Once it warms up I'll finish and install the hydroboost sytem and start work on the EFI system. Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 coming up!

I really should remove the old exhaust system and install new 2.5" pipes with an H pipe. Who's got the best fitting aluminized system from HP manifolds back? No need for anything stock looking, just something that works and fits. Dynamax Ultra Flo's are still the go to muffler I'm assuming? Or is there better ones? Nice rumble at idle, screaming at high revs, and a smooth deep growl when cruising. Not asking for much.   :icon_smile_big: