News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

INTMD8

Quote from: darbgnik on May 09, 2019, 04:48:09 PM

Wheel Vintiques? The poverty caps fit on them no issues? Asking for a friend.... lol.

Haha, yes to both  :yesnod:
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

TexasStroker

Quote from: garner7555 on May 06, 2019, 06:47:13 AM
I built and installed a console to put my radio/GPS and speakers in a couple months ago.  It's main purpose is to tie the modern challenger center console into the dash so that it will all somewhat flow.  I know a lot of people will not like my interior and that's ok, we all have different taste and opinions.   :2thumbs:  Mine is more for purpose than for looks.  A lot of the time when I am driving it I have my wife, my 4 year old, and my 1 year old all with me so cupholders, armrest, and an extra storage compartment are very important to me.  Plus to make all the purist feel better, it all could be unbolted and returned to stock in less than a day.   :smilielol:      P.S.   Ignore the mess in the car, I cleaned it up when finished

Nice...I like it!  That is very similar to what I have had drawn up for years.  Any issues seeing the screen in full sunlight?  I had an MDF frame I made, but was in too big a hurry to install the head unit to test it in the Charger.

Also of note...I've got the same console in my Mopar 10 and if there are 2 modern sized cups in place the factory T-Handle will punch a hole in the styrofoam cup any time you ratchet down into drive.  The shift ball might not pierce the cup as quick as the T-Handle does, but hopefully you will never be in that situation.  If you are rolling solo always use the back cup holder to play it safe.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

garner7555

Quote from: TexasStroker on May 11, 2019, 11:20:26 PM
Quote from: garner7555 on May 06, 2019, 06:47:13 AM
I built and installed a console to put my radio/GPS and speakers in a couple months ago.  It's main purpose is to tie the modern challenger center console into the dash so that it will all somewhat flow.  I know a lot of people will not like my interior and that's ok, we all have different taste and opinions.   :2thumbs:  Mine is more for purpose than for looks.  A lot of the time when I am driving it I have my wife, my 4 year old, and my 1 year old all with me so cupholders, armrest, and an extra storage compartment are very important to me.  Plus to make all the purist feel better, it all could be unbolted and returned to stock in less than a day.   :smilielol:      P.S.   Ignore the mess in the car, I cleaned it up when finished

Nice...I like it!  That is very similar to what I have had drawn up for years.  Any issues seeing the screen in full sunlight?  I had an MDF frame I made, but was in too big a hurry to install the head unit to test it in the Charger.

Also of note...I've got the same console in my Mopar 10 and if there are 2 modern sized cups in place the factory T-Handle will punch a hole in the styrofoam cup any time you ratchet down into drive.  The shift ball might not pierce the cup as quick as the T-Handle does, but hopefully you will never be in that situation.  If you are rolling solo always use the back cup holder to play it safe.

Thanks.   :2thumbs:   Yes I can see the screen very well out on a sunny day, but I have 5% window tint on all the side windows and 50% on the windshield.  The tint does cut down on the amount of light that makes it inside the car, so I can't say for certain that you wouldn't have trouble seeing the screen.  Although I have driven the car in full sun with all the side windows rolled down and don't remember having any trouble seeing the screen.  :shruggy: 

I did notice the shifter goes back over the front cup holder some.  I normally just leave it in drive and let it shift own its own, but if I wanted to manually shift it then I would need both cup holders to be empty I believe just to be safe.  I would kinda like a pistol grip but I worry it would look strange on the sidewinder shifter.    :shruggy:    I may try one someday.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

HeavyFuel

New steel wheels and tires...  

Front: 235 60 x 15 x 7
Rear: 255 60 x 15 x 8

I've got the '68 poverty caps to put on yet, after the base/clear on the wheels hardens a bit more.  The wheels are from Coker (Specialty Wheel makes them)

...and Bilsteins all around.

Last night was was first drive after sitting in the garage covered for over six months.  Started up nice, ran great.  Handles like a dream with the new stuff on.

Friggin love this car.

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

nvrbdn

Heavy Fuel, those wheels look awesome!!!! Love the look.

I just installed an electric vacuum pump to go with the disc brake conversion I did on my Charger.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

NHCharger

Quote from: nvrbdn on May 17, 2019, 04:13:37 PM

I just installed an electric vacuum pump to go with the disc brake conversion I did on my Charger.

What brand did you get and where did you buy it? Where did you install it?
After 4 years of shitty brakes I finally have working brakes on my 68. I bought a vacuum pump from Summit, brakes were still shitty and now the booster had a loud groan when I hit the brakes, plus the vacuum pump never shut off. I got the  power booster from here  https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/  They also gave me the wrong proportioning valve.

Just Ordered a booster, M/C and proportioning valve from Dr. Diff. Wow-real brakes, and the vacuum pump only runs when I apply the brakes, the problem is I can feel the vibration of the vacuum pump in the steering wheel, not happy about that.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ACUDANUT

I remember the days we couldn't wait to throw them away for a set of Cragars.

twenty mike mike

I'd been struggling with how to install a stock looking cooling fan with a clutch in the narrow space between the Classic Auto Air compressor and the radiator. I tried a number of different spacers, but either the compressor would still be in the way of the fan blades, or the clutch would be jammed against the radiator.

As a last ditch effort before having to go with an electric fan setup, I tried slicing off the trailing edge of the fan blades. Removing the material from the part number back of the 2863 216 repop air conditioning type cooling fan gave me sufficient space between the fan blades and the compressor, using the spacer provided by CAA. I'm using the Jaguar clutch.

Lest anyone think this will lead to massive overheating, I let the car idle for 20 minutes on a 90 degree day and the coolant temperature stabilized at 200 degrees, as measured by the MSD temperature sensor. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, since I've only reinstalled the grille, and have the bumper and valance to go.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had the air conditioning running while testing the cooling fan. I was also surprised and pleased to see that the ammeter doesn't react to the compressor clutch engaging, making a larger alternator and an aux fan unnecessary.

nvrbdn

Quote from: NHCharger on May 17, 2019, 09:14:33 PM
Quote from: nvrbdn on May 17, 2019, 04:13:37 PM

What brand did you get and where did you buy it? Where did you install it?
After 4 years of shitty brakes I finally have working brakes on my 68. I bought a vacuum pump from Summit, brakes were still shitty and now the booster had a loud groan when I hit the brakes, plus the vacuum pump never shut off. I got the  power booster from here  https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/  They also gave me the wrong proportioning valve.

Just Ordered a booster, M/C and proportioning valve from Dr. Diff. Wow-real brakes, and the vacuum pump only runs when I apply the brakes, the problem is I can feel the vibration of the vacuum pump in the steering wheel, not happy about that.

I used the pump from Auto City Classics.    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-volt-electric-vacuum-pump-brake-booster-vacuum-pump-12-volt-new/351048719483?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I mounted it between the radiator and the grill on the drivers side next to the radiator. Plus it mounts on rubber blocks to kill the vibration.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

NHCharger

Quote from: nvrbdn on May 18, 2019, 09:05:59 PM

I used the pump from Auto City Classics.    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-volt-electric-vacuum-pump-brake-booster-vacuum-pump-12-volt-new/351048719483?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I mounted it between the radiator and the grill on the drivers side next to the radiator. Plus it mounts on rubber blocks to kill the vibration.

Same one I have. I mounted mine in the engine bay passenger side. Don't know if moving it to your location will help the vibration issue. I actually tried replacing the rubber mounts with a built up layer of large rubber washers, no difference.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Slowpoke

changed the master cylinder to a disk brake version to go with the
Wilwood disk brakes on the front
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

alfaitalia

Sold my engine...for a very good profit I might add. The body is taking rather longer and costing lots more than I thought it would so I will have plenty of time to get another motor built...probably end up selling that one too if I can make as much....and the bodywork drags on much further!! The only sad thing is that it will be living life a quarter mile at a time now in an old 1938 Plymouth pick up truck of all things. Not at all what I had planned for her..but needs must.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

twenty mike mike

I installed the side air conditioning vents that I got from VegasCharger four years ago. Never let it be said that I rush into anything. I'll install the guts at some future date.
I got the idea from bill440RT's post, but I used the adapter that Classic Auto Air makes for factory air cars. P/N is 2-2066FA-2.
If I can't find a factory air center pad, rather than installing the CAA center vent under the dash, I'll just leave the center hoses loose under the dash. That'll help keep the MSD ignition control box that is installed on the firewall cool.

VegasCharger

Quote from: twenty mike mike on May 30, 2019, 01:11:21 AM
I installed the side air conditioning vents that I got from VegasCharger four years ago.

I got the idea from bill440RT's post, but I used the adapter that Classic Auto Air makes for factory air cars. P/N is 2-2066FA-2.

Wow thanks for remembering me, I remember selling those vents awhile back lol.

Yes, Bill's idea is great to make the dash side of it to look like factory A/C.  :2thumbs:

:cheers:

twenty mike mike

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 30, 2019, 04:01:46 PM
Quote from: twenty mike mike on May 30, 2019, 01:11:21 AM
I installed the side air conditioning vents that I got from VegasCharger four years ago.

Wow thanks for remembering me, I remember selling those vents awhile back lol.

Yes, Bill's idea is great to make the dash side of it to look like factory A/C.  :2thumbs:

Lennard

nvrbdn

Quote from: NHCharger on May 19, 2019, 07:51:29 AM
Quote from: nvrbdn on May 18, 2019, 09:05:59 PM

Same one I have. I mounted mine in the engine bay passenger side. Don't know if moving it to your location will help the vibration issue. I actually tried replacing the rubber mounts with a built up layer of large rubber washers, no difference.

I can feel the vibration a little when the key is on and engine not running, But when it fires up I don't notice the pump. And you are not kidding, I have a ton of brakes now. So nice!!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bakerhillpins

Replaced the leaf springs on the 69 this weekend. Came off pretty easily though it did take me a big longer than it probably should have. Only had to cut the drivers side pivot bolt off of the hanger. I'm getting to old to do this kind of s**t on a gravel driveway.  :icon_smile_dissapprove: Only the drivers spring was stamped with numbers. Wondering if the passenger side was a after market replacement.  Hope to get under the dash this year and get the radio and heater working again! We shall see though. Followed up the leaf springs by doing a complete brake/rotor job on the 14' RAM. Those internal drum parking brake setups suck balls!  :down:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

71charger_fan

Started swapping radios and installing an uncut dash bezel.

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

VegasCharger

Quote from: 71charger_fan on June 05, 2019, 10:55:40 AM
Started swapping radios and installing an uncut dash bezel.

Nice radio unit. I've seen those up close in person at Herb's spot MATS 2016. Herb is a good guy to deal with and those radios were nice.

However whoever was in charge of production of making the owner's manual doesn't know Mopar. No such car as a Plymouth Belvedere after 1970.

:smilielol: :smilielol:

EDIT: So they display "Belvedere" which doesn't exist after '70 and Coronet (which are 4 doors 71-74) but don't mention Road Runner or GTX??

Who's running that show?

71charger_fan

While doing the radio swap, I decided to rip further into the dash and figure out what was going on with my A/C-heater vacuum system. When I did finally get in there and trace things out using the FSM, I found the shop that I'd paid to work on the car had made a mess of it. Dodge made it modular and pretty much idiot proof. No need to remove individual vacuum lines. Alas, nothing is idiot proof. There should have been one hose pulling engine vacuum. They had hooked two lines to engine vacuum and left two vacuum ports open to the atmosphere. Explains why it never seemed to idle correctly after I got it back. Luckily, I had a complete heater-A/C box assembly from a parts car with its vacuum harness intact to use as a guide since there were two hoses marked with white stripes and two with red stripes.