News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

just about lost my Superbird yesterday....DUMB!

Started by boss429kiwi, September 22, 2013, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

I was tuning the 6 pack and decided to take it for a test drive without the aircleaner.
All was well, so I put the pedal to the floor, and wow, it took off.
THE THROTTLE STAYED FULLY OPEN!!!! THE TIRES LITE UP AND WENT SIDEWAYS!!!! :o :o :o :o :o
I turned the key off, pushed the clutch in and pulled the Bird to the curb.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
I had left the airfilter gaskets on the carbs and one got sucked into the rear carb, jamming the butterflies OPEN!  :slap: :slap: :slap:    
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

A383Wing

Stevearino

thehemikid

dyslexic teddybear

hemi68charger

Quote from: boss429kiwi on September 22, 2013, 05:03:30 PM
I was tuning the 6 pack and decided to take it for a test drive without the aircleaner.
All was well, so I put the pedal to the floor, and wow, it took off.
THE THROTTLE STAYED FULLY OPEN!!!! THE TIRES LITE UP AND WENT SIDEWAYS!!!! :o :o :o :o :o
I turned the key off, pushed the clutch in and pulled the Bird to the curb.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
I had left the airfilter gaskets on the carbs and one got sucked into the rear carb, jamming the butterflies OPEN!  :slap: :slap: :slap:    

Join the club ( the damn-six-pack-scared-the-dodo-out-of-me club )....

I once experienced something similar...... I too went to go "show off" the six pack to my then-girlfriend. We found an industrial park with a very large parking lot. I nailed it and the car (v-code '70 Charger R/T), launched like nobody's business........ It was AWESOME and I smoked the tires and the car drifted into that fun sure-grip slide....

Well,,,,,,, all was well until I released the accelerator pedal and she just kept going !!!!

My problem? I forgot to reconnect the dang outboard return-connecting rods to the center carb !!!!!    The cent carb closed, but the outboards were still sucking 1000 cfm of air !!!!  :smilielol:   Luckily, I can laugh about it now.......... Of course, this all happened in the span of a couple of seconds, but felt like a lifetime........ Just like you, I turned off the ignition then put it into neutral...... Coasted to a stop and reconnected it, my girlfriend not having a clue to the dilemma. I just said I heard something funny and had to "check it out"....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

Six paks tend to have a lag period in dropping off after full throttle.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

r4daytona

I'm in the club also, Scares the shit out of you.  My dad had a cougar eliminator clone (he bought it at 71 yrs old).  Anyway, the previous owner told us that sometimes the throttle sticks when you punch it but if you just give it a quick hit again it goes back,  and I did that once or twice and it worked.  Well, one spring I went into the state park by us and did it again but this time no unsticking!  I was going about 80 and turned the key off and was able to stop before the intersection I was heading to.  It does get the adrenalin pumping.  Glad you were able to stop !!

FJ5WING

My 6BBL set up was common to hang open, I think it happened three times! The last one was the worst with it going on for about five seconds after I lifted. I did like Kiwi and clutched it and hit the key.....and thast when it happened!

KaBOOOOOM! blew the mufflers out like nobodys business.
wingless now, but still around.