News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much for paint?

Started by Dmichels, August 23, 2012, 09:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

I know this is a very open ended question.
what I have
  1968 Dodge charger  I have replaced quarter panels and done 90% of all the body work on the rest of the car. The car is a rolling shell all stripped down no glass chrome or engine. Most of the paint has bees sanded down .
What I need done. The final sanding and body work needed for paint. Really not much needed.  I need Door jams, around the doors, under the hood, engine compartment, under trunk lid painted I do not need a show car finish I want something that duplicates the factory paint.
What should I expect to pay?
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

x73CHARGERx

I'm painting my 73 and I'm using dupli color from advanced auto parts and it's like 25 a quart for base and 25 for clear so I'm expecting to use 1.5 gallons of each so like 300 give or take. you might want to check out this store
www.thecoatingstore.com

myk

Are you painting it yourself, or farming out the work? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

x73CHARGERx

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dmichels

Body shop, sorry I was not clear
68 440 4 speed 4.10

tan top

what color  primer going on car  ?  what color top coat ? bace & clear or single stage ?  are they using  old style paint guns  or  hvlp  ?

woopps miss read tha post  :cryin: :slap:  ;D thought how much paint in volume  gallons pints etc
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

After my local PPG vendor quoted me 1400.00 for a gallon of B5blue with a gallon of clear, 300.00 or so for a gallon of epoxy primer I was fairly stunned. Figuring that's not enough material to paint a whole Charger and all the other stuff needed I re-thought things and ended up using Eastwood's epoxy and have Kirker for topcoat. Eastwood epoxy runs 99.00 for 2 gallons and Kirker is about 110.00 per gallon for single stage urethane in factory mixed colors. (Not color matched to your car's original code.) 
  The cheapest code matched paint was in acrylic enamel not urethane and was about 400.00 per gallon. 

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

myk

Quote from: Patronus on August 24, 2012, 08:42:17 AM
$7 large  :shruggy:

Sounds right to me, and that's WITHOUT body work, although I guess the 'OP has that covered already...

Dmichels

I have preped cars before for paint before a  Maaco paint job and they have come out ok So I know my body work is not too bad. I was wanting some better quality  paint as well as a pro doing the final prep. That is why I started calling "real" body shops. Not trying to diss Maaco I have used them before and I have no gripes for the price paid. I have been quoted 6 to 9 thousand  I understand materials will be about 1200. That leaves alot of room for profit. I am not new at working on cars and I know that bodywork takes time. I was shooting for a 3 to 4000 job It seams like you jump form the 299 Maaco special to the 6000 job I am surprised there is nothing in between.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

skip68

I was going to say Maaco.  I stripped and sanded my car, ordered the paint and found a shop to shoot it.   
That was about $1,900.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Dmichels

68 440 4 speed 4.10

1970chargerrt

Quote from: b5blue on August 24, 2012, 07:02:23 AM
  After my local PPG vendor quoted me 1400.00 for a gallon of B5blue with a gallon of clear, 300.00 or so for a gallon of epoxy primer I was fairly stunned. Figuring that's not enough material to paint a whole Charger and all the other stuff needed I re-thought things and ended up using Eastwood's epoxy and have Kirker for topcoat. Eastwood epoxy runs 99.00 for 2 gallons and Kirker is about 110.00 per gallon for single stage urethane in factory mixed colors. (Not color matched to your car's original code.) 
  The cheapest code matched paint was in acrylic enamel not urethane and was about 400.00 per gallon. 

You should be able to get a gallon on PPG Omni and hardener and reducer for about $200.  I priced out a gallon of epoxy, gallon of high build primer, gallon of Omni and a gallon of clear for a pickup I am thinking of painting and with hardener and reducer it was between $500 and $600.  The epoxy, primer and clear were "shop" brands but are used a lot locally on production body work and nobody seems to complain about them for the price.  I know they have codes for Omni for more modern cars but I've never checked if the 60's/70's PPG codes apply to Omni also but they should be able to match almost anything even if there isnt a code for it.  It's not paint for a numbers matching hemi show car but for anything that you are going to paint yourself it should be fine.

Dmichels

I am not sure if I could pull off the paint job myself and have it look good I have painted trucks and cars before but they look just that OK for a driver. Anybody recomend anyone in the Easton PA area?
68 440 4 speed 4.10

charger_fan_4ever

Most reputable places won't want to touch what someone else has done. 1 pinhole in the weld under the bodywork and it bubbles out in 6 months and the customer comes back wants it fixed gratos and you end up having to strip it to bare metal and start over.

My brothers shop stopped doing this years ago. Does not want to spray it not knowing whats underneath and then in a year if/when it bubbles out and john doe asks the owner who painted it he gives you a bad name as they are going to throw the shop under the bus.

Not referring to the OP in particular, lots of times when a car shows up "ready for paint" its nowhere near that.

You said most of the paint is sanded. You didn't strip it to the bare metal ? Unless its an original paint car who knows whats under there. :S

All that being said i think your hopes are high at 4k for finish work and painting the bay,trunk,jambs. Now days a smaller sedan paint job is 1500-2000 if there is no major work.

Cooter

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on August 30, 2012, 10:39:18 PM
Most reputable places won't want to touch what someone else has done. 1 pinhole in the weld under the bodywork and it bubbles out in 6 months and the customer comes back wants it fixed gratos and you end up having to strip it to bare metal and start over.

My brothers shop stopped doing this years ago. Does not want to spray it not knowing whats underneath and then in a year if/when it bubbles out and john doe asks the owner who painted it he gives you a bad name as they are going to throw the shop under the bus.

Not referring to the OP in particular, lots of times when a car shows up "ready for paint" its nowhere near that.

You said most of the paint is sanded. You didn't strip it to the bare metal ? Unless its an original paint car who knows whats under there. :S

All that being said i think your hopes are high at 4k for finish work and painting the bay,trunk,jambs. Now days a smaller sedan paint job is 1500-2000 if there is no major work.

EXACTLY! Maaco is the only place willing to overlook their reputation opn someone else's bodywork these days with the picky ass public wanting perfection for little to nothing.

$5-$10K on a really nice paint job....Maaco if your under that and buy yourself a buffer and video how-to...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Stay away from Omni. Pure garbage.  :rotz:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1970chargerrt

Quote from: bill440rt on August 31, 2012, 07:10:15 AM
Stay away from Omni. Pure garbage.  :rotz:

I've used the single stage Omni on a couple daily driver trucks and thought it was OK.  I've never painted with anything else though.  It's by far the most popular paint that the local auto body supply store sells. 

Dmichels

Thanks for all the info guys I can certainly understand a shop wanting to protect their name. I also can see why they would not want to paint on top of someone elses body work. I guess I just need to save up a little bit more and have a pro paint it. I have way too much time and money to half ass it now.
Anybody have a shop in western NJ/Easton PA area they could recomend?
THanks
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Silver R/T

Screw PPG, there are better products at lower prices. I've been using SPI products and Sherwin Williams (I get discount on Sherwin Williams products)
I would find someone who does this on side and you could save quite a bit of money compared to body shop
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

myk

I'll second the count for Sherman Williams.  When my body shop first told me about using Sherman Williams I asked them why they wanted to put house paint on my car, and to put on PPG or House of "K"olor instead.  They told me the price would go up considerably and no one would be able to tell the difference anyway.  So far, I like how the house paint looks on the car...

Dmichels

Here is where I am at
1 MAcco $500 +- No thanks
2 friend of a friend $3000 no paint booth never saw his work
3 body shop 1 would not give a price but he said he painted a Charger the need more work then mine for $9000 Works by the hour
4 Body shop 2 $6000 Older guy into old hot rods. Less then a mile from my house.
5 two local guys who do this on the side to pay for their race care Nice work No paint booth $5000
I like #4 works by himself I do not need to worry about things going missing I have seen his work he is very detail oriented. I can also vist the car on the way home from work. He is stopping by next week.
I have had this car for 23 years it was my DD for 10 years Everything is done It just needs paint and me to put it back together
I can't wait
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

rebby

Based on what you posted, I'd go w/the #4 as well. We're on the same path that the moment. My car is nearly ready for paint so I'm searching for shops to finish the job as well.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

b5blue

What ever you pick stay on top of them. Tell them you REQUIRE regular check in's and want to take pics as they go. A well meaning auto body/paint guy I knew for over 8 years was screwing everything up, had I not checked in regularly it would have been too late! (I pulled the car and cut my losses.)  :scratchchin: