News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Average Delivery Time Expected for USPS Parcel Post?

Started by Old Moparz, August 24, 2012, 12:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Until recently, I've been using UPS to deliver packages but I decided to give the Post Office a shot with the "Parcel Post" option. I did so because someone wanting to buy some Barracuda parts that I had listed, said I can keep the shipping price down this way. I sent parts out to 3 different people last week, all parcel post, but one person who I sent to on Thursday afternoon said they didn't get it yet.

It was well packed like I always do, so I'm pretty sure it didn't open up or get destroyed. The one mistake I did make, AND WILL NOT EVER DO AGAIN, is send it without confirmed delivery with a tracking number, or requiring a signature. There is always the chance that the buyer isn't being honest about getting it, & if that's the case, there probably isn't any way I can prove or disprove it & may have to eat this one & offer a refund.

I know there is no guaranteed delivery date it should arrive with parcel post, but if anyone else on here uses that option, what seems to be the average time it takes to arrive?   :shruggy:

Please don't say never.....  :lol:

(Sent from New York to North Carolina on Thursday, August 16th at about 1:15 pm in the afternoon.)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Parcel Post is akin to Pony Express. There's no rush and those are the last packages processed on any given day. That's why it's cheaper. I'm not sure you can get tracking if you choose that option. I use Priority Mail for small(ish) packages and FedEx Ground for slightly heavier ones (up to about 15-18 pounds). Both are 2 day delivery for the most part and are traceable (if you use USPS online or their shipping too the tracking is free).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

USPS.com states Parcel Post is a 2-8 business day delivery, but I've seen it take 9 days or more.
I use PP quite often (just mailed a package this morning), comes in most handy for packages that don't have to travel very far. If going long distances I'll sometimes use Priority, or FedEx for big stuff. FedEx usually beats UPS and their shipping times are faster. Sometimes you can save a bit using PP for large/heavy stuff if it falls within their size restrictions, but like you're seeing it takes a little longer.
You're on target Bob, ALWAYS get a tracking# when using PP!  :yesnod:   It's only been about 6 business days for you so far, so hopefully your buyer gets it soon.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Old Moparz

Been shipping things since I was in high school & I've never had anything lost or damaged, but there is a first time for everything.  :lol:

I usually tell people who ask shipping questions not to do what I did, send it without some ability to track it. Fortunately the buyer is being patient & not demanding, just concerned. I'd be worried if it was something expensive so if I have to reimburse him it's not going to kill me financially. (Although if it was expensive I'd have never sent it this way.) I told him in an email a short time ago that if he didn't have it by the end of next week & it didn't show up back here with a problem that I'll work something out with him.

I knew as soon as I left the post office that I was going to regret sending it.   ::)

Bob                

bull

I use USPS probably 95% of the time but of that 95% I almost always add tracking, which I don't believe can be used on PP. But even with Priority Mail I find it's cheaper than UPS or FedEx and just as fast. Tracking is like an additional $.75 so it's very cheap insurance. Never had a problem doing it that way.

nvrbdn

i sent a headlight motor to new york one time. they wanted it to go to their business.  it took a total of 2 weeks to get there. they kept emailing and i kept emailing after it hit 7 days. i got pretty nervous about the time length. but then they finally got it. yep 2 whole weeks. thats alot of days of sweating. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

I sent a set of 4spd pedals once it took over 3 weeks.  This was near Christmas.  I let people know USPS is much less $ than UPS or Fedex but it takes at least twice the time.  I always get confermation and insure :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on August 24, 2012, 01:52:30 PM
I use USPS probably 95% of the time but of that 95% I almost always add tracking, which I don't believe can be used on PP. But even with Priority Mail I find it's cheaper than UPS or FedEx and just as fast. Tracking is like an additional $.75 so it's very cheap insurance. Never had a problem doing it that way.

You can add Delivery Confirmation to PP shipping. It's an additional $0.85 cents.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

Quote from: 41husk on August 24, 2012, 02:49:53 PM
I sent a set of 4spd pedals once it took over 3 weeks.  This was near Christmas.  I let people know USPS is much less $ than UPS or Fedex but it takes at least twice the time.  I always get confermation and insure :Twocents:

I always ship stuff this way too......takes longer but it's much less expensive.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

A383Wing

I had Steve in California mail me back my game CD....it took 3 weeks to get to me up here in Washington State

Bryan

FC7 V code

I have worked there(USPS) for 36 years. Try not to crucify me :icon_smile_big:. Shipping times for PP tend to run from 7-9 business days depending on the distance shipped and where in the US you are shipping to. Some areas seem to move a bit faster while others drag a little slower. As long as the shipping times don't pose a problem for the seller or buyer, Parcel Post is probably the cheapest way to go. I have been having my Son sell a huge amount of model RR stuff on ebay that I had accumulated over the years to finance his 70 Challenger resto. We have used Priority Mail with tracking/confirmation on all the items sent. The transit times have been pretty darn good, easily comparing with UPS at a lower cost. Just my  :Twocents:.
1968 Chrysler 300
1969 Charger
1969 Charger RT/SE
1970 Charger RT/SE
1970 Cuda AAR
1970 Challenger SE
1970 Roadrunner
1982 Trans Am

Alaskan_TA

adauto

Barry's right! I really like FED because you can track thing so E Z! USPS, ya its tracked @ the post office its mailed from...... and thats it till the day you get it!
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

twodko

Quote from: FC7 V code on August 24, 2012, 08:56:43 PM
I have worked there(USPS) for 36 years. Try not to crucify me :icon_smile_big:. Shipping times for PP tend to run from 7-9 business days depending on the distance shipped and where in the US you are shipping to. Some areas seem to move a bit faster while others drag a little slower. As long as the shipping times don't pose a problem for the seller or buyer, Parcel Post is probably the cheapest way to go. I have been having my Son sell a huge amount of model RR stuff on ebay that I had accumulated over the years to finance his 70 Challenger resto. We have used Priority Mail with tracking/confirmation on all the items sent. The transit times have been pretty darn good, easily comparing with UPS at a lower cost. Just my  :Twocents:.

Crucify you? Man, I applaud all USPS workers, thanks for serving us very well despite our gov.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

nvrbdn

:iagree: you know it will be slower, but ive sent hundreds of packages through the postal service and never lost a single one. i tell people up front the timing and the savings. you guys do a great service. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Old Moparz

Thanks for the replies, it gives me a little more hope that the guy gets his parts.  :icon_smile_big:

One thing that comes to mind about lost packages or damage, is that the person shipping whatever it is has no clue about how to wrap something.   ::)  Once in a while I see people at the post office with large boxes taped shut with a few pieces of scotch tape. There is a huge difference between 2" wide packing tape & that thin stuff. And I also see writing that is so bad I wonder if the postal workers should be trained in Egyptian hieroglyphics?   :lol:

Bob                

ACUDANUT

Old, you still have your reciept that show hows much and what zip code it went to.  I wouldn't pay anything.

ITSA426

FedEx has lost some expensive stuff being sent to me that tuned up about a month later.  Their attitude about it was indifferent at best.  UPS seems most reliable for me but they are getting really expensive, especially if you use one of their stores.  I generally prefer USPS but if I'm sending to someone I don't know I always get delivery confirmation. 

In one USPS case I had confirmation but the receiver claimed he didn't receive it.  The item turned up later in his garage where someone in the family placed it without mentioning it. 

I think you get what you pay for but I've had small problems with all of them.  USPS delivery confirmation doesn't have location tracking but that only lets you know who had it last if there is a problem.  Insurance seems to work best because no one wants to pay for your junk.

bull

Quote from: twodko on August 25, 2012, 12:08:14 AM
Quote from: FC7 V code on August 24, 2012, 08:56:43 PM

Crucify you? Man, I applaud all USPS workers, thanks for serving us very well despite our gov.

This may not be the place or time but it seems to me that if the USPS would just suspend Saturday delivery it could solve a lot of its financial woes. I've talked to a lot of people about this and none of them care if the mail comes on Saturday. I'm sure someone cares but none I've talked to.

ITSA426

Probably not the place, but if congress hadn't required the postal department to fund the retirements of employees that aren't even born yet they could also solve some of their money problems.  That retirement account looks like another one to be looted later.  Maybe they should put it in a lock box.  My local post office people seem to work hard for the money.

Old Moparz

Quote from: ITSA426 on August 25, 2012, 08:15:04 PM
Probably not the place, but if congress hadn't required the postal department to fund the retirements of employees that aren't even born yet they could also solve some of their money problems.  That retirement account looks like another one to be looted later.  Maybe they should put it in a lock box.  My local post office people seem to work hard for the money.

This thread may as well be the place, why not? I've derailed my own threads before.  :lol:

I agree with you 100%, the "let's cut more or privatize the PO" mentality is complete BS. Nobody I ever talk to seems to understand that the ridiculous mandates put on the retirement fund is the reason why they're broke.   ::)  The cuts that closed 100's are the equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot. We have one PO in my town & they just closed it. It was busy all the time, & now I have to go to the next town over where they have two. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/postal-service-default-retiree-payment_n_1686416.html

Anyway, I just got a message from the buyer that the parts finally arrived safe & sound.  :cheers:
               Bob                

A383Wing

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 25, 2012, 11:16:50 PM

Anyway, I just got a message from the buyer that the parts finally arrived safe & sound.  :cheers:

:2thumbs:  now you can sleep at night

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

charger Downunder

For packages shipped to Australia USPS has always been good to me and way way cheaper than the others, plus they ship to PO Boxes.
[/quote]

71charger_fan

It generally takes about a week to 10 days for a package I mail myself from MD to show up in the embassy mailroom in Islamabad. However, the APO system almost always gives it a mandatory stomping.