News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Worst new TV shows

Started by ACUDANUT, August 29, 2012, 09:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on August 31, 2012, 12:50:51 PM
Ponch, I'm not the type to watch a TV series back to back from Netflix just to catch up either, but my wife is.   She's watching like 25 different shows right now (either actively or waiting for the new season).   That said, she gave Breaking Bad a spin while I was in front of the TV one night, and I was so hooked after the first episode I wound up watching all they had on netflix.   Then I actually paid Amazon like 20 bucks for the last season becasue it wasn't on Netflix.   Never thought I'd do that, but it's one of my favorite shows ever.

Sons of Anarchy started off strong then turned into a bunch of stupid he said/she said drama and lost what made it appealing to me (you know, Harleys and drinking and fighting)

Walking Dead was cool for about 5 episodes then kind of got stuck in a rut for 10 episodes, then turned good again, so I'll keep watching.  If you were to start from scratch it'd be hard to sit through that dead spot in the middle.  It's still better than every other lame ass zombie/vampire/teeny BS show about that kind of thing out there.

Also the Newsroom is a great show.  I'll respect the 'no politics' rule by only saying that I'm by no means a liberal, and I still love it even though it probably gives Bill O'Reilly conniption fits.

Really like Homeland, it's gripping without being cliche.

Can't do reality TV of any ilk.   Every show is exactly the same:  As close of a rip-off of American Chopper and/or Dog the Bounty hunter as they can manage.    The most amazing thing to me is there are whole shows about people baking cakes.     Just cakes.    If you'd have told me at 10 years old that one day people would sit and watch people bake cakes, and that it wouldn't even be a show about HOW to do it, I'd have laughed at you.    There was more quality on TV when it was 3 networks and a few cable channels.   Having 500 channels means 490 channels of shit.

Maybe some day I'll catch up on those shows and find out what I've been missing. The only "reality" shows I can stomach are the sports related ones (Hard Knocks, 24/7) and some of the car related shows on Discovery or Velocity - Wheeler Dealers, Chasing Classic Cars, Graveyard Carz, and yes, even Fast n Loud. Beyond that and the shows I mentioned in my last post, I tend to stick to stuff on the History Channel or some of the interesting stuff on Nat Geo.

BTW - Am I the only one who hates what TLC has become? I remember back when I was a kid and all those channels (Discovery too) were still somewhat new, they were all about cool stuff like lions eating goats, rockets, and of course, WINGS. Now TLC might as well call itself the freak channel: every show is about midgets, morbidly hyper obese people, sex freaks, women who birth litters of babies like a street cat,  and most repugnant of all, the kiddie beauty pageants.  
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Dodge Don

I'll second the kudos for The Newsroom.

The Walking Dead is my only other must see show....other than that the TV is for kids stuff.

Dino

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 31, 2012, 01:14:28 PM

BTW - Am I the only one who hates what TLC has become? I remember back when I was a kid and all those channels (Discovery too) were still somewhat new, they were all about cool stuff like lions eating goats, rockets, and of course, WINGS. Now TLC might as well call itself the freak channel: every show is about midgets, morbidly hyper obese people, sex freaks, women who birth litters of babies like a street cat,  and most repugnant of all, the kiddie beauty pageants.  

I agree completely, I can't watch that channel anymore and it used to be pretty good.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 31, 2012, 01:14:28 PM

BTW - Am I the only one who hates what TLC has become? I remember back when I was a kid and all those channels (Discovery too) were still somewhat new, they were all about cool stuff like lions eating goats.  

You're right, & most shows on those channels now have so many commercials I can't watch them.   ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

learical1

I used to enjoy American Pickers, but if Abbot and Costello, I mean Mutt and Jeff, sorry Mike and Frank say "break the ice" one more time, I might put my foot through the flat screen.

Mike (to camera): We've been here for hours, and Frank and I both have gas, but this guy won't pull a finger.
Frank:  What'll it take to get you to pull my finger?
Guest:  I'm sorta fond of my nasal cavity just the way it is.
Frank:  How about a little pull, if that will make you more comfortable?
Guest:  Well, I guess so.
[Frank extends hand, Guest pulls Frank's finger.] 
BRAPP
Frank:  You know what we call that?  We call that 'cutting the cheese'.
Bruce

ACUDANUT

Swamp people (show is stupid) also. :brickwall:

Kern Dog

The wife watches Lifelime movies, but doesn't really match the "type".
Sometimes she watches the "Dance Moms" shows... I would rather have an enema with ICY HOT than to watch any episodes of that stuff. Food Network? My moms idiot 2nd husband watches it and often falls asleep during shows. Later he tries to cook something from the show but his food tastes like dirty feet or dishwater.

dukeboy_01

Quote from: stripedelete on August 30, 2012, 08:37:49 PM
Quote from: dukeboy_01 on August 30, 2012, 04:26:04 PM

and tractor pulling on RFDTV. 

Did you catch the worlds longest antique tractor parade at the Nebraska state fair tuesday night? Very cool.

I didn't, but that sounds like something I could get into.  I did and still do some antique tractor pulling.  I've won three state championships and took some top three trophies in the National's.  It is something my dad got me into when I was 15-16 years old and I still enjoy it.  It is like any form of motorsports though...there are those that spend money and those that accuse everyone beating them of cheating. 

dukeboy_01

Quote from: bull on August 30, 2012, 07:58:07 PM
I rarely watch TV but I've gotten into Grimm pretty good. It's filmed here in town which helps a lot. One thing I really enjoy about it is that I can watch it anytime on nbc.com for free. I wish all TV shows were on the network websites like that.

"Reality" TV annoys me for the most part. The best ones I've seen are American Restoration and Pawn Stars but after watching about 20+ episodes of Pawn Stars I've had enough. I haven't gotten tired of American Restoration yet. Probably because they skip a lot of the drama and focus on the topic.

Hey Bull, I too am a Grimm fan.  My wife started out hating that show, but here lately I've caught her watching episodes to get caught up on the story.  I normally don't go for the sci-fi stuff too much, but there is something about this that makes it fun to watch.  I like cop shows, so maybe that is what pulled me into it.  Where at do you live if you don't mind my asking?  I'd be interested to know where it is filmed.  I know they are "supposedly" in the Portland area.