News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bird conversion

Started by DonC1, August 28, 2012, 12:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonC1

Hemi Runner

Don,
   What does that steel wing weigh?

moparstuart

Don i know larry roper and I both need a set of those scoops

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger-Bodie

Why are people wanting to go away from glass on these? What's the draw to having them steel?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

nascarxx29

Steel scoops wont warp or crack.And you can lean on them
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Hemi Runner

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 02, 2013, 08:44:24 AM
Why are people wanting to go away from glass on these? What's the draw to having them steel?

My concern is weight, the lighter the better, so whichever one weighs less is my choice!

DonC1

I'll weigh my next completed steel wing...overall not that heavy at all and no where near as heavy as a OEM wing.

I rolled out a aluminum - almost 1/8" thick ' tona fender scoop....then sanded it with 600 grit...which looked very cool too...but then polished it-

weight on this scoop is about the same as the ' glass scoop.

Budnicks

you do wonders with sheet-metal  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

JB400

DonC1

fy469rtse

:popcrn: I lve builds like this , getting inspired to build my power bulge bonnet over my victor junior intake

hotrod98

Don, the hood that Tom made for my Black Ice bird was built using an original 70 Roadrunner air grabber hood that he grafted the front of the bird hood onto. Remember, this was done many years ago when no one thought anything of cutting up original parts. He did an excellent job. Looks and operates like a factory part. I have a regular style Superbird hood but would never take this one off. I like it too much.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 17, 2013, 01:50:07 PM
Don, the hood that Tom made for my Black Ice bird was built using an original 70 Roadrunner air grabber hood that he grafted the front of the bird hood onto. Remember, this was done many years ago when no one thought anything of cutting up original parts. He did an excellent job. Looks and operates like a factory part. I have a regular style Superbird hood but would never take this one off. I like it too much.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

DonC1

Larry,
using the RR hood is not as 'easy ' as it looks. The RR hood at cowl is approx. 52 and 3/4" wide and stays that width all the way while the Coronet hood is 52.5" at cowl and narrows down at the front before the insert to 51 and 3/8" so if Tom did indeed use a RR hood he would have had to have taken a narrow pie slice out along each edge of the RR hood to match the coronet/sbird fenders along with matching the hood drop insert edges etc....would be easier to convert a coronet hood but I don't have one...so the RR hood it is. Where is Tom these days?

moparstuart

Quote from: DonC1 on June 20, 2013, 01:04:30 AM
Larry,
using the RR hood is not as 'easy ' as it looks. The RR hood at cowl is approx. 52 and 3/4" wide and stays that width all the way while the Coronet hood is 52.5" at cowl and narrows down at the front before the insert to 51 and 3/8" so if Tom did indeed use a RR hood he would have had to have taken a narrow pie slice out along each edge of the RR hood to match the coronet/sbird fenders along with matching the hood drop insert edges etc....would be easier to convert a coronet hood but I don't have one...so the RR hood it is. Where is Tom these days?
alaska   :icon_smile_big: :rofl:

hotrod98

He told me that it definitely wasn't easy altering the roadrunner hood. He added inner stiffeners on both sides but I can't tell they're there. The hood is definitely heavy. He put fiberglass hood springs inside the stock springs.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

DonC1

I never understood why Ma Mopar stamped offset speaker holes on the rear shelf- I finally got round to 'correcting' that, well at least my 6x9's will match.  :icon_smile_big:

djcarguy

looking good super smooth an clean bottom of floor. what else an pixs an progress ya got going on with this build?? have ya finished the nose cone?    just waiting too see more,thanks for sharing.latter  :popcrn: :popcrn:  :2thumbs:

remta1

Quote from: DonC1 on July 12, 2013, 12:43:21 PM
I never understood why Ma Mopar stamped offset speaker holes on the rear shelf- I finally got round to 'correcting' that, well at least my 6x9's will match.  :icon_smile_big:

yeah why did they do that ? anyone know ..bet ya theres a thread about it somewhere :D

hemigeno

Quote from: remta1 on August 16, 2013, 06:04:36 AM
I never understood why Ma Mopar stamped offset speaker holes on the rear shelf- I finally got round to 'correcting' that, well at least my 6x9's will match.  :icon_smile_big:

yeah why did they do that ? anyone know ..bet ya theres a thread about it somewhere :D

Chrysler didn't offer two speakers for the rear - just a single speaker in the package tray, even if you ordered the R22 AM with stereo tape player.  Sales Code R31 just got you one rear speaker.  If I'm not mistaken, the second hole was for intake air to feed the rear defrost (which exited out the slot in the center).

:Twocents:

DC_1

moparstuart

most of my cars have always had the hack job 2nd hole cut   :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack: :hack:

remta1

Quote from: hemigeno on August 16, 2013, 09:56:18 AM
Quote from: remta1 on August 16, 2013, 06:04:36 AM

Chrysler didn't offer two speakers for the rear - just a single speaker in the package tray, even if you ordered the R22 AM with stereo tape player.  Sales Code R31 just got you one rear speaker.  If I'm not mistaken, the second hole was for intake air to feed the rear defrost (which exited out the slot in the center).

:Twocents:

awesome , thanks for letting us know :2thumbs:

DonC1

Got the other ' tona scoop prototype almost done...still needs a little tweaking

JB400