News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

US Car Tool Core Support Brace

Started by TexasStroker, August 28, 2012, 01:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Well, I've waited around 18 months now on XV and I have given up on them.  In the Spring I was told the owner picked up the equipment to make the lower radiator support braces "in house."  That has yet to come to fruition.  To their credit, Scott has almost always gotten back to my e-mails within 1-2 business days, which is oh so rare anymore, but the fact is I don't know if I'll be waiting another 18 months or will never see the part made again.  I really did want to give them the business, but I kind of wanted the brace, front valance, and front spoiler done before last year's Chryslers in the Canyon...Now I'm about 6 weeks out from this year's show.

I have no access to the equipment to bend my own and surprisingly don't know anyone locally that does either.  I am in the process of asking around to others in the club if they know of a local outlet, but as I debated making my own brace (everything would be 90 degrees...not a fan of the look, but all I can personally do) I actually found this:

http://store.uscartool.com/B-E-Body-Core-Support-Brace_p_49.html

I don't know how long it has been around as I quit taking magazines a while back, but this was the first time I had seen it.  I had also never seen it mentioned here (and yes, I just tried searching for it as well, lol).  It looks like a nice alternative, although I must say I personally prefer the look of the square tubing XV offers/offered.  I feel like the price is also a bit high for round tubing, but if I don't have any good local options I might give it a go...If I did wind up with this piece I would almost want to try and have the factory piece extended to cover it...I suppose that might change once I had it welded and blacked out, but it just seems to stick out more being round tubing.

As best I know this was the last thread on the XV piece and if everyone who was also interested in the brace then still is this offering from US Car Tool might be worth checking into...Or if some of you in the thread devised a simple, diy solution that would be much appreciated info as well.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=80758.0

Right now I'm hoping someone here has installed or knows of someone who installed the US Car Tool piece and can give some opinions on it.  If I can't get one bent from square tubing locally I am just debating if I'd rather have 90s under the car or round tubing  :-\
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

dangina

i got the local race shop to bend some 1.75" dom 0.120 wall works great - funny i got sick and tired of waiting for XV as well and just made my own inner fender braces, lower rad brace and subframe connectors.

TexasStroker

Cool.  I am still hopeful someone in the club will have connections.  I know people in pretty much everything but sheet metal and tube bending...

I don't blame you one bit on moving forward...I've literally given up on them stocking the part.  Every thread I pull up someone was waiting on something...seems to be a chronic issue. 

What kills me is that it is a simple part from common material...it should be in stock and ready to ship. 
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Hemidog

Totally agree, I've given up on XV too...

I would prefer square tubing though...

tan top

Quote from: Hemidog on August 28, 2012, 05:59:49 AM

I would prefer square tubing though...

yep me too ,   like the one in this thread  :yesnod:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,80758.0.html

think its a good idea fitting one of these to tie the front frame rails together ,  if i was still in the resto / welding stage doing mine  , would  think about fitting one  , but  no room for a stock  055 /054 OEM radiator  , by the looks of it ,
could bend one up. custom ! , & make it fit tow inches lower may be  :scratchchin: :shruggy: , then it would be visible under the front  , with out a front spoiler  :scratchchin:
:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparguy01

When I had my cage installed, I had my chassis bar build one out of .120 wall Dom tubing. It's welded slightly behind the radiator, and he also welded a loop on the front to hook the winch up to it for pulling it up the trailer. It works slick.

Troy

I have one of the XV braces that I haven't installed yet. I'm not sure exactly what I plan to do at this point.

All of these require work to fit them correctly. Ideally, this brace (any of them) would fit behind the lower radiator support. At times, some people prefer to replace it with the brace in order to have more radiator clearance. It doesn't appear that the US Car Tool brace is the right shape to hide behind the support and it may look odd to replace the support with it.

I don't think it would be terribly hard to find a place to bend you a piece of round tubing. Square may be more difficult. It wouldn't hurt to break out a cut off wheel and "pie cut" the square tubing to make decent looking bends. It will take some work welding it all back together. I guess it all depends on your expectations of the final result. Do you want "functional" or do you want it to blend in with the factory components.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TexasStroker

Still no dice finding someone to bend sq. tubing locally.

I may pick up some small thin walled sq. tubing and play around with bending it to see if I can't get an idea of how to tackle the bigger piece.

As stated, I prefer the square tubing and really want a smooth radius...I'd also prefer this to conceal behind the factory stamped piece...However, if I can get it to look good enough and need the extra space I'd be fine running the fabbed brace solo.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

cdr

weld one end up & pack the tubing with sand pack it very hard,it will help keep it from collapsing
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

if you then make a threaded hole on the open end make a packer out of a bolt & little flat steel,as you bend the tubing tighten the bolt to keep the sand tight ie w thicker steel for the open end drill & tap & weld on ,fill tubing with the sand then thread in bolt in ......it works i have done it,but it is a PITA
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

TexasStroker

That does sound like a pita cdr, lol.

I just looked at some benders that can handle sq. tubing, but the biggest die they'd take is 1 1/2."  I did get a lead on a fab shop that might be able to do it, I'll check on that.  I usually just buy the stuff  I need to do jobs I can't find anyone else to do (or anyone else I don't trust), but I just honestly can't see me using a bender much.  Shear, sure...bead roller, probably multiple times a year, but a bender just wouldn't get much use with what I do.

I never saw the dimensions/specs of the XV piece posted in the thread tan top and I referenced...does anyone have them?

If anyone has any ideas post up...I'll update should I make any progress.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

shart70rt

I bought one (70 B-body) from XV last month or the month before. I had been calling and e-mailing them for a long time also, and really wanted the square one. My 70 Charger RT is starting to go back together, so time was starting to force me to make a decision. They only had some that had a some dimpling on the inside bend of one side, instead of a perfect mandrel bend, but looks fine to me, and he gave me a discount because of it. You might want to try calling XV again. I don't know if he had more with the defect or not.

I have not welded it in yet, will do it in the next few weeks along with the US Car Tool sub-frame connectors. Those things took way more fitting than I thought they would. Finally had to borrow a plasma cutter from a friend to allow me to speed up the work.

I checked fit with OEM 26" radiator, no problem seen, and also with the Be-Cool Radiator Assy  athat will be going in there, looked good also. Came with 2 extra pieces of square tubing to be used if you want to drop the support lower.

When I go out to my shop in the morning, will try to get a picture of it with the problem area, and post it here or PM it to you. Thinking of getting it powder coated go-mango or hemi orange to match the car, if I can find someone locally to do it before I install it.

Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

TexasStroker

Quote from: shart70rt on September 07, 2012, 06:22:14 PM
I bought one (70 B-body) from XV last month or the month before. I had been calling and e-mailing them for a long time also, and really wanted the square one. My 70 Charger RT is starting to go back together, so time was starting to force me to make a decision. They only had some that had a some dimpling on the inside bend of one side, instead of a perfect mandrel bend, but looks fine to me, and he gave me a discount because of it. You might want to try calling XV again. I don't know if he had more with the defect or not.

I have not welded it in yet, will do it in the next few weeks along with the US Car Tool sub-frame connectors. Those things took way more fitting than I thought they would. Finally had to borrow a plasma cutter from a friend to allow me to speed up the work.

I checked fit with OEM 26" radiator, no problem seen, and also with the Be-Cool Radiator Assy  athat will be going in there, looked good also. Came with 2 extra pieces of square tubing to be used if you want to drop the support lower.

When I go out to my shop in the morning, will try to get a picture of it with the problem area, and post it here or PM it to you. Thinking of getting it powder coated go-mango or hemi orange to match the car, if I can find someone locally to do it before I install it.

They offered me a "defect" way back when I first contacted them, but if I remember I don't think the discount was over $10.  At the time I decided to wait for the "new vendor" to ship them...I have been waiting ever since.  Had I known then what I know now I probably would have taken one as it didn't seem like a big deal, just kind of a wrinkled look at the bend if I recall.  I really do think it is the best piece on the market, not that there are many lol, but it just looks right and I have no doubt it will perform the function it is intended to...The price was also something I felt was fair.

I would much rather be posting up a "just installed my xv lower radiator support brace" thread than this, but that is what it came down to...

I'm at the point now where I don't think I can get one made and have the front valance straightened/painted before our big show (Chryslers in the Canyon) so I might wait till late October to tear into it.  I'll be going aftermarket aluminum on the radiator as well.

With the tight window I've basically decided to try and add a few more tricks to the M10 and call it good till after CIC IV...Then the Charger should get some much deserved attention!

Any pics would be appreciated...I think it would look good powdercoated and give you a more durable finish.  Sounds like you'll have a nice setup!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

rebby

I have a friend who has a bender for doing roll cages and the like. He's going to fabricate a lower radiator support and inner fender supports for me. I'm currently waiting on the subframe connectors and torque boxes (ordered Wednesday) so that I can do it all at the same time. If you have access to the tools, or know somebody who does, rolling your own sure seems like the way to go. I'll save about $300 by fabricating my own in the end. It's been a slow process but once they're in I'll be sure to post some pics.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Chatt69chgr

I'm using a piece I got from Auto Rust Technicians.  It is the same design as the original Mopar lower core support but made out of 11 gauge steel.  We just got it installed the other day and it really strengthened the front.  There is no give at all when pulling on that part now.  The original Mopar piece was flimsy as originally installed and kind of like a beer can after we removed it.  I don't know if it will end up making any difference but we also installed frame connectors and torque boxes and the body is very rigid now.   

TexasStroker

Quote from: rebby on September 08, 2012, 11:20:27 AM
I have a friend who has a bender for doing roll cages and the like. He's going to fabricate a lower radiator support and inner fender supports for me. I'm currently waiting on the subframe connectors and torque boxes (ordered Wednesday) so that I can do it all at the same time. If you have access to the tools, or know somebody who does, rolling your own sure seems like the way to go. I'll save about $300 by fabricating my own in the end. It's been a slow process but once they're in I'll be sure to post some pics.

That is my one issue...if this was pretty much anything other than bending square tubing I could handle it or know someone that could.  I do know a few people that "could" bend square tubing, but it would be the small stuff (1" etc).  I agree it is the way to go...

Definitely post the pics up...if ya'l get it right your friend might be able to move a few braces!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 08, 2012, 02:11:21 PM
I'm using a piece I got from Auto Rust Technicians.  It is the same design as the original Mopar lower core support but made out of 11 gauge steel.  We just got it installed the other day and it really strengthened the front.  There is no give at all when pulling on that part now.  The original Mopar piece was flimsy as originally installed and kind of like a beer can after we removed it.  I don't know if it will end up making any difference but we also installed frame connectors and torque boxes and the body is very rigid now.   

I had heard about that...is the item still call-in only or did they list it?  The factory piece was pretty weak.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

shart70rt

Pictures are below:

Stephen Hart
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
Subframe connectors
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
reassembly in progress

shart70rt

Stephen Hart
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Subframe connectors
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
reassembly in progress

rebby

Quote from: shart70rt on September 10, 2012, 05:45:44 PM
Pictures are below:

That's not bad at all. I'd run one of those. I was going to take my car over my friend's shop this week for my custom brace but things got held up a bit. Hopefully next week...

shart70rt, once you get that installed you'll have to post some pics.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

six-tee-nine

I gave up on XV also....

Bought my inner fender braces and XV stlyel subframe connectors also at auto rust techs. However I did'nt like the round tubing either. I decided if I have to use a round tubed lower rad support Then I'll make it myself.

However I once read about a guy that put a lower rad support out of round tubing behind the original rad support thus giving it the extra strength but almost invisible from the front.
I might go that way if I have to fab something myself....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

rebby

Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 11, 2012, 11:49:46 AM
However I once read about a guy that put a lower rad support out of round tubing behind the original rad support thus giving it the extra strength but almost invisible from the front.
I've been considering that option myself. On that note, does anybody have any pics of one done this way? I'd like to go this route but my car is in so many pieces at the moment that I'm just not sure about clearance.
Curt Rebelein, Junior

dangina

Quote from: rebby on September 11, 2012, 01:48:45 PM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 11, 2012, 11:49:46 AM
I've been considering that option myself. On that note, does anybody have any pics of one done this way? I'd like to go this route but my car is in so many pieces at the moment that I'm just not sure about clearance.

I did! works perfect and you can't see it from the front!

moparguy01

Mine is done real close to the last one posted here, but has a larger diameter piece of pipe around it in the middle welded to the first with a loop welded on front. This way I can hook the winch for the trailer up to it easily. :2thumbs:

You really cannot see it from the front unless your kneeling down and looping for it. Also, my radiator fits with zero problems.

Big Sugar

Hopefully you can pull your Oil filter out the top !   But Either way Nice work ! it should help out in the twisties !!

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b