News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which is easiest and most cost effetive for repladment body parts

Started by XH29N0G, August 29, 2012, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

This is a fishing email.  I already have one charger (2nd gen) that will be restored, and I am thinking about getting another one to to work on with my son in the next year or so.  I am assuming anything I will get will need a lot of work and am trying to get a sense of which  generation 1st, 2nd, 3rd is the most straightforward to work on and to get parts/panels for.  I honestly do not know if there is a difference. 

I am kind of leaning to the 1st generation ones, so part of my question is related to whethe rthere is a difference fixing them up vs fixing up others and then the other part is if one type is a better bet than the others.

Thanks,

James
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Mike DC

'68/69 has the most repro parts, at least for Chargers.  But that fact by itself does not make those chargers the easiest to deal with.  They are certainly not the cheapest. 

A lot depends on what car you start with and how nice you want to make it. 

The same basic rule applies to pretty much any car:  If you wanna save money then buy a finished car rather than try to fix one up yourself.   And DO NOT buy a rust bucket.  (These cars virtually all have gotten some amount of rust during the last 40 years.  But how much did the car rust before repairs were made, and how expertly was it repair work done?  Bad repair work is often worse than no repair work at all.) 

XH29N0G

Mike,

Thanks.  Just like you pointed out.  I sent this question because my preliminary searches ended turning up many more panels and parts for 68/69 and less for other years.  Considerably less for 1st Generation chargers which I have always liked (from before I even knew that they were chargers).

In a little more than a month, I will have a nearly finished 2nd Gen charger which is sentimental because it is the car from my childhood (arrived shortly before I started 1st grade), and this next one would be for the experience of working a few years with my son on a project for him, so I am not looking for a finished car, but it makes a lot of sense not to put ourselves too deep in to start.  Part of my thinking on that is related to finding parts we may need.

Out of curiosity to those out there with 1st generation chargers - How do you go about getting parts.  Do most have to be fabricated? Or are there other ways?

James
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....