News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Worst new TV shows

Started by ACUDANUT, August 29, 2012, 09:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

IMO: Lizard Lick, Operation repo, Ice road truckers.

chargerboy69

Storage Wars- Texas

Pawn Stars- Cajun
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Cooter

Counting cars....Gas Monkey Garage.....Barrett Jackson.....Mecum auctions.....Etc....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

ACUDANUT

I do like American Pickers and Pawn Stars.  They are "staged" but still interesting.
Counting cars is a joke and "count" looks like a dirt bag.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Fred on August 29, 2012, 09:52:12 PM
All of them!
I agree , the last time I had TV was in the 90s

ACUDANUT

Really, no TV. ?  No Movies, no nothing ?

Ponch ®

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 29, 2012, 09:08:33 PM
IMO: Lizard Lick, Operation repo, Ice road truckers.

Operation Repo's been around for like 6 years, so i don't know if it qualifies as new (unless youre one of them geezers for whom "new" is anything that's come out since Gunsmoke went off the air  :icon_smile_big:) And it's not even "staged"....its reenacted.  :rotz:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 30, 2012, 01:41:26 PM

Operation Repo's been around for like 6 years, so i don't know if it qualifies as new (unless youre one of them geezers for whom "new" is anything that's come out since Gunsmoke went off the air  :icon_smile_big:) And it's not even "staged"....its reenacted.  :rotz:

:smilielol: 

I think most new shows, & by new I mean anything within the last 20 or so years, are just rehashed older shows from way back. I'd sit through old reruns as a kid watching the stuff my parents watched when it was new. Shows like I Love Lucy or The Honeymooners, which were funny, but have had characters & story lines recycled so many times you need a scorecard.

A few weeks ago my daughter is telling me about this show she used to watch called Drake & Josh. The two had gotten a job in a sushi factory on the assembly line & couldn't keep up with the conveyor belt & started to eat the sushi to hide it. Which sounds to me like when Lucy & Ethel had gotten jobs in a candy factory on the assembly line & couldn't keep up with the conveyor belt & started to eat the candy to hide it.

There isn't really anything worth watching on TV.

Except maybe Mexican weather forecasts.   :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Dino

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 30, 2012, 03:31:31 PM

There isn't really anything worth watching on TV.

Except maybe Mexican weather forecasts.   :D

That's it!  I'm moving!

Edit: forgot about the thread subject for a moment, I don't know why...

What do I watch lately....nothing really.  All I watch is the occasional ball game and reruns of older and better shows.  Lots of movies though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

dukeboy_01

I'll have to cast a vote for anything on the food network....  Hear me out before you tear me up on this!  My wife watches this channel every moment she is able to.  Not only does that cut in on my TV watching (we only have 1 TV), but she usually is watching it when I get home from work and am hungry.  It is torture to watch that and then have to eat a cold sandwich.  That isn't every night, but on the nights she has a lot of school work to do it is... 

I will second the Lizard Lick Towing vote as well.  That Bobby may be a good sized lad, but you can't tell me that in two years (or however long they've been on) of doing repos and getting into a scrap at every turn that he hasn't crossed paths with someone that absolutely mopped the floor with him?

I'll stick with my DVR'ed episodes of Hee-Haw, The 3 Stooges, and tractor pulling on RFDTV. 

TruckDriver

All of them!
:iagree:

I watch the news WAYYYYYY more then any regular tv.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Chryco Psycho

Just DVDs , if I want to watch Mythbusters I can watch on Youtube with zero commercials

bull

I rarely watch TV but I've gotten into Grimm pretty good. It's filmed here in town which helps a lot. One thing I really enjoy about it is that I can watch it anytime on nbc.com for free. I wish all TV shows were on the network websites like that.

"Reality" TV annoys me for the most part. The best ones I've seen are American Restoration and Pawn Stars but after watching about 20+ episodes of Pawn Stars I've had enough. I haven't gotten tired of American Restoration yet. Probably because they skip a lot of the drama and focus on the topic.

stripedelete

Quote from: dukeboy_01 on August 30, 2012, 04:26:04 PM

and tractor pulling on RFDTV. 

Did you catch the worlds longest antique tractor parade at the Nebraska state fair tuesday night? Very cool.

Fred

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 30, 2012, 09:03:14 AM
All of them!
I agree , the last time I had TV was in the 90s

The only thing I watch live these days is the news. Otherwise if it wasn't for dvd's (mostly old favourites) it's not even worth switching the box on anymore.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

mrsskip68

That large woman on Operation Repo looks like the sea witch from little mermaid. Euugh!  :eek2: (Yes, you can put your man card down temporarily to go grab the movie from your child's dvd collection! Trust me, shes a spitting image!) Lol!

stripedelete

Does the woman from the auction house show creep anyone else out?

bill440rt

Quote from: stripedelete on August 30, 2012, 11:53:51 PM
Does the woman from the auction house show creep anyone else out?

The auctioneer from Storage Wars kinda creeps me out a bit. Sounds like he's swallowing air.
The more I watch Counting Cars the less I like it.

I still like Pawn Stars & American Pickers, even if the "find" is staged at least it is educational.

One show that has totally grown on me is Top Gear (US). Pure entertainment, and funny!  :rofl:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Indygenerallee

That Mexican weatherwoman can cross my border anytime!!!  :drool5:, Back on topic I turned off DirecTV over 2 months ago because I was paying good money for absolute crap, went back to the antenna....
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

surmanajaja

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 30, 2012, 08:38:11 AM
I do like American Pickers and Pawn Stars.  They are "staged" but still interesting.
Counting cars is a joke and "count" looks like a dirt bag.

he actually looks like he stepped on the wrong set, he should be a cast member in "sons of anarchy".

pickers guys are sympathetic, and its fun to watch when they go to some hoarders place full with old cars..

Ponch ®

But I digress...I don't have much time to watch TV nowadays, but there are a few shows that I make time for:

Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire are probably the best shows on TV right now.

I still watch True Blood, but the last couple of seasons have been "heh".

Episodes on Showtime is pretty clever ("YCOMT" :smilielol:).

The Borgias and Shameless are two underappreciated shows.

And finally, the funniest, weirdest show on TV: Wilfred. It's on FX, and sometimes it even leaves me going "WTF?"

I keep hearing all the hype about Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and the Walking Dead. I'm sure theyre great shows, but since I didn't watch them from the beginning and I'm not the the type to sit in front of the TV watching Season DVDs, I can't opine on them.

BTW, I know some of you guys hate the thought of paying for TV, but the best stuff really is on cable. Less constraints on content and, in the case of the HBO and Showtime shows, not advertiser driven.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

NYCMille

"YCOMT" - Best. Thing. Ever.

AKcharger

I like twin peaks...it's still on the air isn't it?

hatersaurusrex

Ponch, I'm not the type to watch a TV series back to back from Netflix just to catch up either, but my wife is.   She's watching like 25 different shows right now (either actively or waiting for the new season).   That said, she gave Breaking Bad a spin while I was in front of the TV one night, and I was so hooked after the first episode I wound up watching all they had on netflix.   Then I actually paid Amazon like 20 bucks for the last season becasue it wasn't on Netflix.   Never thought I'd do that, but it's one of my favorite shows ever.

Sons of Anarchy started off strong then turned into a bunch of stupid he said/she said drama and lost what made it appealing to me (you know, Harleys and drinking and fighting)

Walking Dead was cool for about 5 episodes then kind of got stuck in a rut for 10 episodes, then turned good again, so I'll keep watching.  If you were to start from scratch it'd be hard to sit through that dead spot in the middle.  It's still better than every other lame ass zombie/vampire/teeny BS show about that kind of thing out there.

Also the Newsroom is a great show.  I'll respect the 'no politics' rule by only saying that I'm by no means a liberal, and I still love it even though it probably gives Bill O'Reilly conniption fits.

Really like Homeland, it's gripping without being cliche.

Can't do reality TV of any ilk.   Every show is exactly the same:  As close of a rip-off of American Chopper and/or Dog the Bounty hunter as they can manage.    The most amazing thing to me is there are whole shows about people baking cakes.     Just cakes.    If you'd have told me at 10 years old that one day people would sit and watch people bake cakes, and that it wouldn't even be a show about HOW to do it, I'd have laughed at you.    There was more quality on TV when it was 3 networks and a few cable channels.   Having 500 channels means 490 channels of shit.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ponch ®

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on August 31, 2012, 12:50:51 PM
Ponch, I'm not the type to watch a TV series back to back from Netflix just to catch up either, but my wife is.   She's watching like 25 different shows right now (either actively or waiting for the new season).   That said, she gave Breaking Bad a spin while I was in front of the TV one night, and I was so hooked after the first episode I wound up watching all they had on netflix.   Then I actually paid Amazon like 20 bucks for the last season becasue it wasn't on Netflix.   Never thought I'd do that, but it's one of my favorite shows ever.

Sons of Anarchy started off strong then turned into a bunch of stupid he said/she said drama and lost what made it appealing to me (you know, Harleys and drinking and fighting)

Walking Dead was cool for about 5 episodes then kind of got stuck in a rut for 10 episodes, then turned good again, so I'll keep watching.  If you were to start from scratch it'd be hard to sit through that dead spot in the middle.  It's still better than every other lame ass zombie/vampire/teeny BS show about that kind of thing out there.

Also the Newsroom is a great show.  I'll respect the 'no politics' rule by only saying that I'm by no means a liberal, and I still love it even though it probably gives Bill O'Reilly conniption fits.

Really like Homeland, it's gripping without being cliche.

Can't do reality TV of any ilk.   Every show is exactly the same:  As close of a rip-off of American Chopper and/or Dog the Bounty hunter as they can manage.    The most amazing thing to me is there are whole shows about people baking cakes.     Just cakes.    If you'd have told me at 10 years old that one day people would sit and watch people bake cakes, and that it wouldn't even be a show about HOW to do it, I'd have laughed at you.    There was more quality on TV when it was 3 networks and a few cable channels.   Having 500 channels means 490 channels of shit.

Maybe some day I'll catch up on those shows and find out what I've been missing. The only "reality" shows I can stomach are the sports related ones (Hard Knocks, 24/7) and some of the car related shows on Discovery or Velocity - Wheeler Dealers, Chasing Classic Cars, Graveyard Carz, and yes, even Fast n Loud. Beyond that and the shows I mentioned in my last post, I tend to stick to stuff on the History Channel or some of the interesting stuff on Nat Geo.

BTW - Am I the only one who hates what TLC has become? I remember back when I was a kid and all those channels (Discovery too) were still somewhat new, they were all about cool stuff like lions eating goats, rockets, and of course, WINGS. Now TLC might as well call itself the freak channel: every show is about midgets, morbidly hyper obese people, sex freaks, women who birth litters of babies like a street cat,  and most repugnant of all, the kiddie beauty pageants.  

Dodge Don

I'll second the kudos for The Newsroom.

The Walking Dead is my only other must see show....other than that the TV is for kids stuff.

Dino

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 31, 2012, 01:14:28 PM

BTW - Am I the only one who hates what TLC has become? I remember back when I was a kid and all those channels (Discovery too) were still somewhat new, they were all about cool stuff like lions eating goats, rockets, and of course, WINGS. Now TLC might as well call itself the freak channel: every show is about midgets, morbidly hyper obese people, sex freaks, women who birth litters of babies like a street cat,  and most repugnant of all, the kiddie beauty pageants.  

I agree completely, I can't watch that channel anymore and it used to be pretty good.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 31, 2012, 01:14:28 PM

BTW - Am I the only one who hates what TLC has become? I remember back when I was a kid and all those channels (Discovery too) were still somewhat new, they were all about cool stuff like lions eating goats.  

You're right, & most shows on those channels now have so many commercials I can't watch them.   ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

learical1

I used to enjoy American Pickers, but if Abbot and Costello, I mean Mutt and Jeff, sorry Mike and Frank say "break the ice" one more time, I might put my foot through the flat screen.

Mike (to camera): We've been here for hours, and Frank and I both have gas, but this guy won't pull a finger.
Frank:  What'll it take to get you to pull my finger?
Guest:  I'm sorta fond of my nasal cavity just the way it is.
Frank:  How about a little pull, if that will make you more comfortable?
Guest:  Well, I guess so.
[Frank extends hand, Guest pulls Frank's finger.] 
BRAPP
Frank:  You know what we call that?  We call that 'cutting the cheese'.
Bruce

ACUDANUT

Swamp people (show is stupid) also. :brickwall:

Kern Dog

The wife watches Lifelime movies, but doesn't really match the "type".
Sometimes she watches the "Dance Moms" shows... I would rather have an enema with ICY HOT than to watch any episodes of that stuff. Food Network? My moms idiot 2nd husband watches it and often falls asleep during shows. Later he tries to cook something from the show but his food tastes like dirty feet or dishwater.

dukeboy_01

Quote from: stripedelete on August 30, 2012, 08:37:49 PM
Quote from: dukeboy_01 on August 30, 2012, 04:26:04 PM

and tractor pulling on RFDTV. 

Did you catch the worlds longest antique tractor parade at the Nebraska state fair tuesday night? Very cool.

I didn't, but that sounds like something I could get into.  I did and still do some antique tractor pulling.  I've won three state championships and took some top three trophies in the National's.  It is something my dad got me into when I was 15-16 years old and I still enjoy it.  It is like any form of motorsports though...there are those that spend money and those that accuse everyone beating them of cheating. 

dukeboy_01

Quote from: bull on August 30, 2012, 07:58:07 PM
I rarely watch TV but I've gotten into Grimm pretty good. It's filmed here in town which helps a lot. One thing I really enjoy about it is that I can watch it anytime on nbc.com for free. I wish all TV shows were on the network websites like that.

"Reality" TV annoys me for the most part. The best ones I've seen are American Restoration and Pawn Stars but after watching about 20+ episodes of Pawn Stars I've had enough. I haven't gotten tired of American Restoration yet. Probably because they skip a lot of the drama and focus on the topic.

Hey Bull, I too am a Grimm fan.  My wife started out hating that show, but here lately I've caught her watching episodes to get caught up on the story.  I normally don't go for the sci-fi stuff too much, but there is something about this that makes it fun to watch.  I like cop shows, so maybe that is what pulled me into it.  Where at do you live if you don't mind my asking?  I'd be interested to know where it is filmed.  I know they are "supposedly" in the Portland area.