News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Could someone post a pic of how front swaybar mounts on a 69 Charger?

Started by Blakcharger440, February 05, 2006, 06:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Was there a difference in how a front sway bar was mounted on Chargers from 69 to 70 ???
Could someone post a pic of how their front sway bar is mounted on a 1969 Charger??

I would like to install an aftermarket 1 1/8 inch front sway bar my 70 Charger RT but on a 70 the
front sway bar runs between the skid plate and K-frame and it seemed tough just getting the stock
one through there.

8WHEELER

The top picture is the 68 and 69 style, some late 69 models hade the 70 style K-Frame and sway bar.
Bottom picture is the 70 style.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Blakcharger440

Doh! :o, The part where the sway bar links to the lower control arm can't be seen in the 68-69 pic that you posted.
It looks like the 68-69 Sway bar is positioned further ahead of the K-frame than the 70.
Could I just buy 68-69 lower control arms and run it that way or do i have to replace my whole K-frame with a 68-69model?

I am only asking this because I want a much bigger sway bar 1 1/8 on the front of my car than the stocker and I do not think that it will fit through the skid plate on a 70 K frame...

8WHEELER

Here is a better pic of the sway bar on my wifes car, 68 RT as well.

Dan

Blakcharger440

Hmmm...8Wheeler, is the only difference in the front U brackets on the Kframe??? Would I have to drill for new location of the U brackets or change the lower control arm? I cant quit tell from the pics. I appreciate your help.

694spdRT

Here are a couple more. Sorry the pics are not the best due to the flash.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Blakcharger440

Soooo....It looks like the lower control arm as a longer and bigger bracket for the sway bar end links. I am going to try and find some 68-69 lower arms to compare.  It also looks like I will have to drill holes in my K-frame for the U brackets.. :-\

BlueSS454

The K frame that I pulled out of my 69 has both sway bar mounting points in it.  The ones on the front for the 68-69 style are drilled and tapped, yet it also has the holes on the side where the 70-up sway bar bushing brackets would be.  Is there a difference in the control arms??  I'd like to find out before I go to install the wrong sway bar on the car.
Tom Rightler

8WHEELER

It is my understanding the 68-70 B-Body lower control arms are the same. Some 68-69 base model Plymouths
and Dodge's that did not have a control arm mount, are the only ones I know of that would not be the same.
The 70 K-Frame as we can see has a different bolt pattern for the sway bar than the 68-69 models. There are
some very late 69 models that do have the 70 style system, a few on this board have said so.

Dan

BlueSS454

I'll take some pics of the K frame tomorrow and post them up.  I'll also check the control arms to see if they have the mount or not.  The car had no sway bar on it when I bought it, but I found one in the 68 Charger I got when I bought the 69 and it has the little brackets on it that bolt to the front of the K frame.
Tom Rightler

Paul 500

Heres the holes on the drivers side of my 68 (69 the same) K frame + the lower control arm.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

Mike DC

If you're comparing two sway bars of the same diameter, then the one with shorter side arms (the 1970 setup in this case) will automatically be stiffer.  Just a matter of leverage.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if the 1968/69 and the 1970 sway bars are the same diameter or not.  But either one is decent.  The 1968/69 stuff has some aftermarket support (and I'm SURE the 1970 setup does too because it was used on 1970 E-bodies).

8WHEELER

I use the standard 15/16 68-69 sway bars on my cars, but I add the Polly end link bushings and it does help.
I use the black bushing, you will need to cut 1/4in off the Polly bushings to get them to fit. Because they
are not rubber they will not crush at all, they work well and look completely stock.

Dan