News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1st Generation Charger Restoration Tips

Started by XH29N0G, August 31, 2012, 09:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I am thinking about looking into a 1st gen for my next project with my son.  I would like to get a sense from people who have restored these cars about what is needed and the general process that is followed.

For 2nd generation chargers, for instance, it looks like there are a lot of replacement body panels.  This does not look to be the case for 1st generations chargers.  If I am right in this assessment, I would like to know how people proceed.  Do you/have you manufactured your own body parts from metal, and or from other cars?  What is involved in doing this? 

I apologize for if this is naive.  I have not done this, but have an interest in 1st generation chargers.

James
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Ghoste

You are exactly right.  There are not a lot of parts readily available for 1st gens.  Some of the trim pieces are reproduced and seat covers are but door and inside panels are not.  Floor sections are repopped and drivetrain pieces are easily gotten.  There are some panels for the body on the market but they are not very good.
What you do have, is a cult following with these cars that tends to be MUCH more helpful in getting you the things you need to do the car right.

A383Wing

first gen chargers are the hardest & most expensive to restore. no body panels are available...well, rear quarters are, but they don't fit right. Interior pieces are almost unavailable, rotating headlights, dash gauges, and the gauge lighting is the 3 main problem areas with these. From the doors forward, 66 & 67 Coronet doors, fenders, & hood are the same. Trunks are prone to rust out due to rear window gasket leaking....same with the front floors because the windshield gasket fails. Complete dash gauge repair could set you back just under $1,000

66 parts are more easy to find than the ones specific for the 67's

I got a couple of 66's here, clink on link --> http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage

Bryan

Ghoste

Although Coronet fenders must be modified to work on the Charger, they aren't an exact replacement. :icon_smile_wink:

Big Sugar

If its your first restoration you are going to be tested its a lot of work putting a 1st gen charger together, but when your done it will be all worth the while. Id suggest you do lots of homework before you buy and get a good idea how far you want to go with your restoration. Start with a plan. Oh and you,ll need cash.......

Ron
66 owner, fresh resto.

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

charger490

ok frist you will buy the car and it will set in the garage for 3 years than you will start work on for the next 10 years because you wont have the money to finsh it so you can buy my car and you get to drive it now.

266mopars

Charger 490 has the best plan ! my story sounds pretty close .Buy the car,spend 10 years in the barn waiting to find the parts at a reasonable cost and actually have the money to finish.Then send it to the painter for a 4 week paint job.Get it back 13 months later and ALMOST finished.Then work out all the electrical issues and get it done just in time to put it back in barn for winter !!!! Well can't wait till next spring !!! Love the car but writing a check and turning the key sounds pretty good at this point.

elacruze

I'd ask, How old is your son? What's his level of interest vs. your own?

If this can be a 10 year project, that's awesome.

My advice is this; find a rust-free body to start with. Then, schedule dedicated time every week-even if it's only an hour, then the car never goes completely dormant. Even if you just dust it off, it gets looked at and you get kid time.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

ChgrSteve67

Find a Charger that is complete and needs some love.
Polish it back into a Jewel.

if its complete you can clean up and restore the parts instead of having to hunt them down.
Its easy, just takes time and money.

Here is the link to my rebuild thread
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,1880.0.html

-Steve

Ghoste

And don't give up when it's all torn apart and you think you are never going to get the car finished.  There is a point where it all feels very hopeless but that is the part just before things start going back together.

XH29N0G

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.  This gives me a lot to think about and for planning.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

JB400

Quote from: elacruze on September 06, 2012, 03:25:21 PM
I'd ask, How old is your son? What's his level of interest vs. your own?

If this can be a 10 year project, that's awesome.

My advice is this; find a rust-free body to start with. Then, schedule dedicated time every week-even if it's only an hour, then the car never goes completely dormant. Even if you just dust it off, it gets looked at and you get kid time.

That's where I'm at with my 69.  I was wanting a father/son project with my car, but my dad wasn't interested.  I still have the car and am saving money and parts with hopes of getting it on  the road soon.  Maybe someday, it will be a father/son project, just with my own kid.

Ghoste

Which if course is still great.  Funny how these things work out sometimes isn't it?