News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedometer bounces - may be 30 mph off... sometimes when I stop...

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, September 02, 2012, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

when I stop, she sometimes "rests" at 40 mph. If I move ahead a foot or two, she then goes to zero... I am leaning towards lubing the cable, but wanted to ask if there is a step-by-step to do this :popcrn:

I have searched the threads and seen many tips, but wondering if one removes BOTH ends of the cable, then can simply slide the inner cable out, clean, lube, then re-insert :shruggy:

Thanks in advance for all tips and tricks to this maintenance.  :cheers:

Just 6T9 CHGR

I had the same problem & it turned out to be the speedo head itself....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 02, 2012, 07:28:19 PM
I had the same problem & it turned out to be the speedo head itself....

What was the way you proved it to the head?

A383Wing

it's the head that's binding....the cable stops turning when car stops...the needle should drop to "0", if it's not, then the needle pivot is going out or the magnet is touching the ring it passes under

Bryan

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

FLG

Yep.

If you were moving and bouncing id say cable, but when your stopped it makes no difference if the cable is binding or not, the speedo should go to zero.

Ghoste

You could try to take the speedo head out yourself and clean it up.  If you have a local service to recalibrate it, then its a good time to do that as well.  Otherwise you might have to send it off somewhere.

A383Wing

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on September 02, 2012, 08:29:53 PM
So is the remedy to have the cluster rebuilt?  :scratchchin:

no, you don't have to have the entire cluster rebuilt...the problem lies in just the speedometer head....either have that one fixed, buy a new one, or get a used one, but remember, used may not be any better than the one ya got now

Bryan

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Thanks for the great responses, thus far  :2thumbs:

What are my options for replacing/rebuilding a factory cluster? I understand the AMP Meter is prime for replacement w/ a solid state regulator. What are some other tips?  :popcrn:

I found Redline Gauges. Who / where are the others? Links appreciated. Thanks again!  :cheers: