News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DAYTONA -SPECIAL CAR ORDER / VEHICLE TRAVELER SHEETS

Started by WINGIN IT, September 06, 2012, 09:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGIN IT

Ok , this is the second time writing this so I'll probably forget some details :

The pre-purchase inspection of the Daytona did not yield a buildsheet, but it only as went as far as removal of the lower back seat. Post inspection the owner did not go any further to locate one.  
But as the owner's father had the car since 1971, and the interior was/is quite original, the chances were good if the sheet was there at all, it would still be there.

Flash forward to last Friday, the deal was done, so we took off the back section of the rear seat in hopes the the buildsheet was there.  No luck, I was bummed.

So while we had the rear seat out, figured we would look under carpet.
Lo and behold there it was !  Or so we thought.
Took it out and it was longer than a standard broadcast sheet.
Turns out it wasn't the broadcast sheet at all but the SPECIAL CAR ORDER / VEHICLE TRAVELER sheet(s) !
I had never seen this document before nor did I know it existed.  It details out what model should be used and what options it should have prior to being sent to Creative to make into a Daytona.
The BIG  AH HA moment for me was that twice in the docuemtn it says a total of 400 UNITS built. I always thought the accepted number was 500 units.
Very cool to read through, and I am sure the gurus can chime in, but I have some questions:

ITEM #2 - What is GROUP RELEASE  E -518 SECTION A ?
ITEM #3  Anyone know L. B. WISER's role in this other than what is noted  ( doubt he'll answer the phone number listed , LOL) .
ITEM #6 - Finally get to see in writing that NO Vinyl Roof as an option, or A/C and a luggage rack ( darn) .
But more interesting is the fac tthat the stripe was an option that could be deleted  "OMIT STRIPE ".
And who is T. Gozanek ? Does he have any historical significance in the building of these cars?

FYI, we did find the original broadcast sheet for my car in the FRONT seat , stuck to ANOTHER buildsheet ( not a Daytona , but a 4 speed Dart I think).

Will post pic separetely.

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

WINGIN IT

Forgot to mention the TRAVELER portion or the top portion is taped under this sheet and it has my vehicle information on it.  ( VIN # etc..) .

FJ5, yes I was more than happy with just the buildsheet as well.
This is icing on the cake for sure.

FJ5WING

I was thrilled to just find a build sheet, I would have liked to find a second or some other "goodies" like that!
wingless now, but still around.

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 06, 2012, 09:47:31 AM

Forgot to mention the TRAVELER portion or the top portion is taped under this sheet and it has my vehicle information on it.  ( VIN # etc..) .

email me the photos to stuartspeedway@hotmail.com i will resize them and post for you

:2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WINGIN IT

Ok tried resizing and compressing, hopefull this time it'll work...

WINGIN IT

Quote from: moparstuart on September 06, 2012, 09:55:15 AM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 06, 2012, 09:47:31 AM

email me the photos to stuartspeedway@hotmail.com i will resize them and post for you

:2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Got it Stu, thanks !

hemigeno

I've seen that exact Special Car Order document before (have a copy of it in my binder).  The original must have been photocopied and put in multiple vehicles, because even the hand-written notations are exactly the same as the copy I have.

Personally, I do not put too much credence in the 400 units deal.  That's been mentioned on the board several times in the past, and there are not only several other historical/internal documents which state 500 cars were to be built (dated both before and after this one), but the Shipping List shows +/-500 cars, not 400.  I think it's just an interesting idiosyncrasy of that particular document.

Regardless, that's a nice document to find, and a nice purchase with the car as well!

:2thumbs:

Aero426

Further to what Gene says,  little discrepancies like the 400 cars notation help you understand that things were in a state of flux as far as the flow of information; and what a crash project this really was.  Of course, there was never any doubt that they would build less than 500 cars, because that is what the rules were, and what they had done with the Charger 500 a few months previous.  It is amazing that a big company with many moving parts could pull off a project like this in such a short time frame.    The race people had to develop a ready to run package, then lock that down so the production side could execute. 

WINGIN IT

Thanks for the insights Gene.

Agreed it is a photostat of an original copy as the signatures and notes are copied.

I am also curious as to the  "5/6" noted in the lower right hand corner.
This indicates to me this is page 5 of 6 of a larger set of documents.

Are there any other of these types of documents or pages out there?

So if the 400 units number is incorrect, can any of the document be taken as fact?

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

I'll try adding my :Twocents: to your questions below:

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 06, 2012, 09:37:44 AM
ITEM #2 - What is GROUP RELEASE  E -518 SECTION A ?  I am pretty sure this is the instructions for how Hamtramck was to build the Daytonas prior to delivering them to Creative Industries, which is mostly spelled out in the document you already have.  As far as I know, a copy of E-518 has not surfaced anywhere.  On the other hand, Group Release E-598 (which became the one mentioned later in your document as "TO BE ISSUED")  is the "recipie" for the procedures and parts used by Creative in the conversion process.

ITEM #3  Anyone know L. B. WISER's role in this other than what is noted  ( doubt he'll answer the phone number listed , LOL) .   I've seen him referred to elsewhere as the "Manager of Product Development Procurement", and his name is listed on many Daytona-specific inventory/parts related documents.  Based on that, my guess is he was ultimately responsible for sourcing the parts/vendors for the custom components.

ITEM #6 - Finally get to see in writing that NO Vinyl Roof as an option, or A/C and a luggage rack ( darn) .   The Product Information Bulletin which introduced the Daytona (Bulletin #17 dated April 15, 1969) also mentions "sun roof, fender mounted turn signals, sill moulding, and performance hood paint treatment" as being unavailable options... although we know sill mouldings and (hood mounted) turn signals were not uncommon.

But more interesting is the fac tthat the stripe was an option that could be deleted  "OMIT STRIPE ".    I've only heard of one such car being ordered/spec'd without a stripe, but it does appear it was possible.

And who is T. Gozanek ? Does he have any historical significance in the building of these cars?   I don't know if his name shows up anywhere but here - at least it doesn't come to my mind anyway (which isn't saying much these days  :silly: )

FYI, we did find the original broadcast sheet for my car in the FRONT seat    That's an AWESOME thing to find!  Have you checked on top of the glovebox yet too?

65post

Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

WINGIN IT

Thanks for the insights Gene.

Do you have a good copy of Group Release E-598 to post?
In case 518 does pop up, I would imagine it would look similar.

Regarding checking the glovebox, I don't think we did. I was too excited to get the buildsheet and this doc, I don't think we looked ... :lol:

nascarxx29

Maybe this T Guzanek    And who is T. Gozanek ? Does he have any historical significance in the building of these cars?   I don't know if his name shows up anywhere but here - at least it doesn't come to my mind anyway (which isn't saying much these days  )

Ted Guzanek
Chrysler Retiree Greater Detroit Area | Automotive Past: Retiree at Chrysler, Engineer at Chrysler Education: University of Detroit Mercy

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ted-guzanek/13/1b7/b08

Ted Guzanek's Overview
Past Retiree at Chrysler
Engineer at Chrysler
Education University of Detroit Mercy
Connections
3 connections

Ted Guzanek's Experience

Retiree

Chrysler

Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Automotive industry

November 1959– August 1991 (31 years 10 months)

Huntsville Electronics
Accustar
Jefferson Assy
Newark Assy
Hamtramck Assy
HP Engrg
SQA - Consultant (retiree

Engineer

Chrysler

Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Automotive industry

1959– 1991 (32 years)

Ted Guzanek's Education

University of Detroit Mercy

BME, Mechanical Engineering

1954 – 1959

Activities and Societies: SAE

WINGIN IT

Nice, gotta be him.
Says right there he worked at the Hamtramck plant.

hemigeno

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 06, 2012, 11:42:00 AM

I would, except for two things:
1.  It's 119 pages long
2.  The gentleman who allowed me to copy the document did so under the explicit condition that I never post it where a certain individual (of his choosing, not mine) could obtain access to it.  A few folks other than myself have been given the opportunity to see/copy this same material, but that priviledge always comes with the same condition attached.

Over the years I think I've publicly posted or donated all the unique aero-related documents obtained through sources other than this gentleman, and I respect his confidence in me enough not to betray it now.

:Twocents:

WINGIN IT

Wow 120 pages, so it's the step by step on how to convert to a Daytona?
Certainly don't want you to compromise yourself either.
Was just thinking it would be nice to go with this document is all.

Maybe E 518 will surface some day.

Ghoste

A lot of things will probably shake out in the hobby over time and this is one of them.

Arnie Cunningham

Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

69_500

Quote from: hemigeno on September 06, 2012, 01:47:52 PM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 06, 2012, 11:42:00 AM

I would, except for two things:
1.  It's 119 pages long
2.  The gentleman who allowed me to copy the document did so under the explicit condition that I never post it where a certain individual (of his choosing, not mine) could obtain access to it.  A few folks other than myself have been given the opportunity to see/copy this same material, but that priviledge always comes with the same condition attached.

Over the years I think I've publicly posted or donated all the unique aero-related documents obtained through sources other than this gentleman, and I respect his confidence in me enough not to betray it now.

:Twocents:
Still missing one of the sheets right? Only 118 pages.

nascarxx29

quote author=WINGIN IT link=topic=94853.msg1082600#msg1082600 date=1346957859]
Wow 120 pages, so it's the step by step on how to convert to a Daytona?
Certainly don't want you to compromise yourself either.
Was just thinking it would be nice to go with this document is all.

Maybe E 518 will surface some day.
[/quote]
Was just thinking it would be nice to go with this document is all. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,36386.msg399350/topicseen.html#msg399350

:Twocents:There is some other daytona related papers available if you interest in viewing others on both aero car sites http://aerowarriors.com/cda.html
http://wwnboa.org/factorydocs.htm

Theres a Quintessential documents
I donated. That could have changed the daytona name outcome way back in 1967
http://wwnboa.org/factorydocjpgs/factorydoc1.jpg

nascarxx29

Looking at these superbird blue prints theres a charger daytona used in the illustations http://aerowarriors.com/cda.html

TYPE:
Predominately Blueprints, 94 pages

DESCRIPTION:

This document set contains blueprints that provide specific construction details for SuperBird-unique portions of the Road Runner SuperBird.

View pages: 1-15, 16-30, 31-45, 46-60, 61-75, 76-90, 91-94

tan top

good find !!  thanks for sharing  :yesnod:

lot of interesting stuff  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html