News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Belvedere Wagon needs windshield weather stripping...

Started by IowaCharger69, September 06, 2012, 09:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaCharger69

Long time lurker but never really posted. I decided that today's frustration deserves a thread. Also posted on BBodies Only forums but I want to reach as many as possible.

I have a 1969 Plymouth Belvedere wagon. It had a shattered windshield that was removed today. The installer insisted that the gasket was available. He didn't understand that a "sedan" also included two door posts (not four doors that would be the same windshield/gasket as my wagon). Unfortunately at this point it is too late. the reality of the situation is that replacement weatherstripping is not available and my car now sits without a windshield and I sit here pissed off and wondering how I am going to remedy the situation.

I have been trying to formulate a solution all day and the best I have come up with are below:

1) I buy 2 1969 B-Body windshield weatherstrips and modify them to work. The regular weatherstrip is the right width but is about 2 inches too short. Could I cut the weatherstrip and add the required length? I have no expectation that this would look the best or function the best but I may not have a choice. What would you use to glue these two parts together? Would the integrity be so compromised that the gasket woudl not hold the windshield in place?

2) The other option I could see is that I beg someone to make me a custom weatherstrip. I am by no means wealthy and I have a brand new baby so it may be cost prohibitive but I would much rather have a correct one piece weatherstrip to protect my investment, my car and my family.

3) I try to find a salvage yard wagon or four door and carefully remove the windshield gasket...

I am pretty much stuck at this point. The windshield is out of the car. The original gasket is destroyed. I have had to boot my wife's daily driver out of the garage so that my Plymouth can sit in covered storage. I am afraid that without a gasket I may never drive the car again and as an undriveable car it has no value but as parts car. I couldn't stand parting out a perfectly good wagon for its hood and fenders alone.

Please help me or please forward this on to someone that might be able to help.

Thank you in advance!

bill440rt

Have you tried contacting some of the larger NOS suppliers?  :shruggy:   Brad's, Tony's, Arizona, Restoration Parts Supply, etc. They are not as in demand as a 2-door weatherstrip is, so you might get lucky & perhaps they might have one.

Or, if you have the part number perhaps you could have your local dealer do a nationwide parts search for you. It might be a long shot, but you never know. I found a super-rare, NOS fan clutch for one of my cars that way.  :yesnod:   Worth a shot.

I would think cutting & splicing is not a good idea, it is bound to leak.
Next best bet is a salvage yard for a good used one.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

IowaCharger69

I sent emails tonight to Steel Rubber and SoffSeal. I hope I hear some good news from them.

The part number idea is a great one. I do not have a part number at the moment. It might be tough to track it down but I really like this idea.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

TheGhost

Now that you've got that taken care of, we need pictures.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

PocketThunder

Quote from: TheGhost on September 07, 2012, 08:53:47 AM
Now that you've got that taken care of, we need pictures.

He should have done that in the first post!   :popcrn:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

IowaCharger69

Here are a few pictures. Its nothing special but it will at least look like something special in the near future.