News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

eldelbrock top end kit for 383 UPDATED with DYNO results

Started by lasvegas69charg, September 07, 2012, 09:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasvegas69charg

Has anyone here have experience with the eldebrock top end kit for a stock 383?  It includes heads, cam, intake, lifters and timing chain.  I have done search and found it was a nice kit but it could use a more aggressive cam. This car has power brakes so I do need good vacuum and its going to be a driver. Thanks for any input.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

lasvegas69charg

I just got off the phone with tech support from edelbrock.  Here is a little bit of tech data on the 2086 kit: The kit made 421 hp and 417 tq at the flywheel on a stock bottom 383.  They did use 1 7/8" headers.  It pulls 10" of vacuum at idle and 12-14" cruising.  If you are using power brakes your on the fence and may have to use manual brakes, electric vacuum pump or hydro. You will need to buy hardened rods and shaft mounted rockers.  They recommend a 750 carb.  It seems to be a nice complete kit.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

mhinders

I looked at it some time ago, but haven't decided what to build yet. A German friend is using the same (at least similar) for his RB 496 stroker, and he seems happy with it, 12 something on the qtr mile.

I have about 10 in vacuum (mostly somewhat less) in my 383, and that is not really enough for the power brakes.

IMHO a proven kit should be pretty safe to go with.

Martin
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Chryco Psycho

I would agree that the cam design is the weak link , the heads are ok but I feel u get more for the $$ using stealth or super stealth heads

Challenger340

Edelbrock spend alot of money on R & D for these kits.....which are proven performers when applied as per directions.

That Camshaft(238/244 @ .050) I have personally Dyno'd between 1.1 to 1.2 hp per cubic inch, on various cubic inch Engine applications, is most certainly no slouch, and IMO, you will gain nothing vrs another brand, at least not from a cost-benefit analysis.

Even going to a wider C-Line to increase brake vacuum on the same .050 duration events merely de-nuts the bumpsticks peak power performance on the same 105* installed....been there...checked this many times on the Dyno, might as well just opt for shorter .050 event Cam overlap(smaller cam) if you want more vacuum, which will still peak as high as the de-nutted larger bumpstick.

I personally...... prefer using the Edelbrock Heads over the Stealths outa the box....the only caveat being the Valve seat grind applied from Edelbrock is not as good as Stealth....which I find is easly corrected and gains notable Flow immediately from the Eddy's.

Just my opinions...I do this for a living
Only wimps wear Bowties !

lasvegas69charg

well I pulled the trigger and bought it. I am in the middle of the install. I will post what I get on the engine dyno.

flyinlow

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 08, 2012, 10:53:02 AM

I personally...... prefer using the Edelbrock Heads over the Stealths outa the box....the only caveat being the Valve seat grind applied from Edelbrock is not as good as Stealth....which I find is easly corrected and gains notable Flow immediately from the Eddy's.

Could you elaborate?

Mike DC

Isn't 417 ft-lbs a bit low for a hot 383?

lasvegas69charg

well I just got back from the engine dyno.  I must say the engine sounded really good and strong with a nice lope  at idle. It had  16" of vacuum at idle which is also a plus due to my power disc brakes. I installed the edelbrock  top end kit on a stock 383 that had badger deep dish 9.1 pistons bored .30 over done 24 years ago.  The engine only pulled 300 HP and 330 ft-lbs  :'( with a quick fuel 750, msd ready to run and headman headers. I'm a little disappointed do to edelbrocks numbers of 417 HP and 421 ft-lb that they claimed. With these numbers will the car still be fun to drive?

JB400

Define "fun to drive"  Each persons' definition is different.

cdr

sounds like a tuning issue,timing ,air fuel ratio ?,
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lasvegas69charg

he performed a leak down and everything checked out ok. He did a compression test and average 120. Timing is advance to 36 deg.  Af ratio was good. He pulled spark plugs and they checked out ok. He did everything he could. He said that the 9.1 deep dish pistons are really hurting me.

when I mean fun I mean when I step on the gas it will get up and go.

I will post the graph tomorrow.

JB400

Rear end gear will make up for that.  300 hp is fine.  That's what most cars on the road have anyway.

lasvegas69charg

the drivetrain is a 727 with a 2500-2800 stall.   I have 3.55 gears with a auburn locker.

JB400

You'll have fun.  If it ain't enough, save up for a 400 stroker or a 440 :2thumbs:

lasvegas69charg

I guess my real big hang up is how edelbrock got those numbers and I'm a 100 off. Does it sound right for what I got or is it really low?

JB400

Just read your first post.  Did Edelbrock ever list what compression ratio they used on thier pistons?  Your post just says stock bottom end.

lasvegas69charg

I will make a call to edelbrock to find out. Good point.

mhinders

Your 120 psi during the compression test is on the low side. I have that in my 383 with really low static compression (just above 7:1...) and a cam where the intake closes at 63 ABDC (the Compcams 21-224-4, XE274H). I am sure I had less than 300 hp in my engine.
As said earlier, you probably need more compression.
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Cooter

Ah yes, The ol' Low compression (READ: Dog Sh*t) rebuilders pistons) pistons that were meant to keep the local idiot from f*ckin' up his rebuild as they were Advertised @ 10.0:1, but come in more like 8.5:1.....

Compression= Balancing game. Too little and your motor is a turd....Too much and your ride needs Aviation Fuel in order to go get a drink at the store down the street. Aluminum heads disipate heat from the chambers as well.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on October 23, 2012, 10:55:36 PM
he performed a leak down and everything checked out ok. He did a compression test and average 120. Timing is advance to 36 deg.  Af ratio was good. He pulled spark plugs and they checked out ok. He did everything he could. He said that the 9.1 deep dish pistons are really hurting me.

when I mean fun I mean when I step on the gas it will get up and go.

I will post the graph tomorrow.
it might want 40 or more on timing,having low compression & no quench
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

lasvegas69charg

one thing that I reused was the stock stamped rockers. I was thinking about switching to roller rockers. Which ratio should I go with 1.5 or 1.6?

cdr

thats not going to make much difference ! if its still on the dyno try adding some timing :Twocents:

randy73

That sounds really low, my stock 70' 383 with headers, mopar perf. electronic distributor,  wieand intake and 750 edelbrock did 279hp and 293tq, but I know it depends on the dyno.

lasvegas69charg

i just talk to edelbrock.  they used a 10.0-1 ratio  they also told me that i need to use adjustable rockers.