News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Top end Bonneville straight line speed poll

Started by learical1, September 13, 2012, 10:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which car has the highest straight line top end potential (as prepared for NASCAR)?

SuperBird with Hemi
8 (17.8%)
Daytona with Hemi
33 (73.3%)
Spoiler II with Boss 429
1 (2.2%)
Talladega with Boss 429
2 (4.4%)
Spoiler II with 427 TP
1 (2.2%)
Talladega with 427 TP
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: September 23, 2012, 10:59:50 AM

Ghoste

Is the wing versus adding ballast not a moot point here though?  If we are talking about top speed as set up for NASCAR then the Ford aero cars could run no more ballast than they do on a high bank.  Or do I need to go back re-read because this has already been covered?  :lol:

Redbird

For a Production based car using SCTA-BNI rules, one of the main challenges is the amount of air going under the car and the lift it provides. Under the rules, all that is allowed in the front is whatever front bumper or spoiler the manufacturer sold. Even with the big lump-o-iron in front, air lifts the car at speed.

A 1982 Pontiac Firebird had an optional aero front that works great.

A NASCAR car solves the same problem because one can run Harry Hyde's best front spoiler, like the original #71 KK car did.

learical1

Quote from: Ghoste on September 17, 2012, 08:05:30 AM
If we are talking about top speed as set up for NASCAR then the Ford aero cars could run no more ballast than they do on a high bank.  Or do I need to go back re-read because this has already been covered?  :lol:

For the oval tracks, ballast was added low,between the front and rear wheels.  I believe the rules call for a minimum weight, not a maximum weight.  Theoretically, you could add as much ballast as you need.  Extra weight kills acceleration, not top end.
Bruce

Ghoste

Perhaps true of the amount of weight we are discussing but I'd disagree if you meant that as an absolute.

JB400

There's a maximum and a minimum weight limit.

Sbird69

There is absolutely no disadvantage from the wings and actually the additional ass end weight is a benefit. Another example would be that we fill the regular gas tank to water (at 9lbs per gallon it works great) to provide additional rear tire 'bite' on the slippery salt as you attempt to gain traction and get up to speed before the timing lights. The wings are adjustable and can be matched to your actual car attitude to provide a neutral force. Tha ADVANTAGE is the end supports of our wings and the lateral force which prevents the rear end from going sideways.   Roof rails must be fabricated,installed, and are mandatory on most of the production style vehicles run on the salt as the SCTA wants the over-car air stabalized. Drag coifficient number of the areo cars are available and should then be matched with the actual 'frontal area' number of each car.  The Daytona is tops of the areo's with the Bird and the Fords a toss up. If you search old archives you'll find comments from our Boston area local boy that won the Daytona 500 in 1970, Pete Hamilton, that on that February day 42 years ago he remembers throwing Petty's #2 car into the turns at dangerously excessive speeds and that the ass end stayed on the track like it was glued to the ground. God bless the Salt and that a place such as that even exists for us to play on. I do every August at Speed Week.
Sbird69

odcics2

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 17, 2012, 03:21:54 PM
There's a maximum and a minimum weight limit.

Checking the 1970 Nascar rule book, I found that there was a 3,900 lb. minimum weight only.   They did not specify a max. weight.  But more weight would slow a car coming off the corner...   And add to tire and brake wear.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

It would be kind of strange to specify a maximum weight in almost any motorsport wouldn't it?

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on September 23, 2012, 10:50:08 AM
It would be kind of strange to specify a maximum weight in almost any motorsport wouldn't it?

Tractor pulls maybe??  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Oh, yeah maybe.  Never thought of that one.

held1823

a max weight at bonneville makes perfect sense. traction is the issue, so any extra weight could be overcome with horsepower. 

it would be kind of humerous to pop a trunk lid, only to find a row of tractor weights hanging inside.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

Quote from: held1823 on September 23, 2012, 04:59:58 PM
a max weight at bonneville makes perfect sense. traction is the issue, so any extra weight could be overcome with horsepower. 

Or better aerodynamics!!!  :nixon:

Ghoste

odcics2