News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Retro Superbird picture on Car hauler

Started by nascarxx29, September 15, 2012, 04:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

WINGIN IT

WOW ! That's one way to get 2 wing cars on a trailer at once   :yesnod: :o :o

Aero426

Norm Nelson used this hauler from at least 1965 forward. 

Ghoste

State of the art at the time for car and hauler.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 15, 2012, 10:45:26 PM
State of the art at the time for car and hauler.

Yes it was.   Must have been quite a sight going down the road.

Aero426

1964.    Probably the same hauler.    Norm Nelson is on the left walking.    The second team car was #18 and driven by Lloyd Ruby. 

Cooter

Nice ramps! Looks like two pieces of old guard rail with "Street Closed" cut into them. Cool.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Aero426

The "street closed" are wood boards borrowed from saw horse type barricades.  They are laid into the steel truck ramps for a little extra lift and clearance to make it onto the truck.

Highbanked Hauler

they must have had two sets of ramps to get the first car off the ground and then up to the top position ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

In the photo, the guy on the hauler appears to be standing on a ramp that could be attached to the cab ramps.  So, it would act like one long ramp to the top, then drop down the ramp behind the cab and load the other car onto those ramps, where it would be tied down.    Just guessing here....   :scratchchin:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

held1823

Quote from: odcics2 on September 16, 2012, 11:29:49 AM
In the photo, the guy on the hauler appears to be standing on a ramp that could be attached to the cab ramps.  So, it would act like one long ramp to the top, then drop down the ramp behind the cab and load the other car onto those ramps, where it would be tied down.    Just guessing here....   :scratchchin:

exactly. the top car was placed up there, directly from the ground. there is no way a full-sized car could be placed on the lower deck first, and then moved up to the top.

these photos are of the same hauler. the upper car sits at a noticable angle,  which allowed for a gradual slope of the long ramps.

hard to imagine what fun loading a crashed car might have been. getting it up there, even on the lower level, would have been quite a feat .
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

It would take a brave SOB to drive the top car up, and he'd have to be a monkey to get up and down from there.     Even though it's a big truck, the handling must have been interesting with all that weight up high. 

held1823

wonder if they cranked some wing angle into the bird, for a little downforce on the highway?

i'm with you; that hauler would have been a handful to drive.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

Quote from: Aero426 on September 16, 2012, 12:16:39 PM
It would take a brave SOB to drive the top car up, and he'd have to be a monkey to get up and down from there.     Even though it's a big truck, the handling must have been interesting with all that weight up high. 

Try taking some extra long wheelbase 5000 pound pre-war era high priced no brake wreck out onto one of those liftgate styles we use now at night in the rain.  Not sure one is any worse than the other, just pointing out that we still make those leap of faith drives with transporters now.