News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 front ash tray

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, September 16, 2012, 04:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

My 68 R/T has a build date of June 11, 1968 & it has a (69 style) painted pivoting ash tray instead of the "normal" 68 padded tray which slides. Could it have come this way or not?

kab69440

I would guess yes for a car built so late.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Charger-Bodie

Most 68 Chargers have the later (69) style. Early 68 used the paded style. I heard they were problematic,so they changed design.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cdr

MINE IS JUNE 19 68,HAS PADDED SLIDE type ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ghoste

What plant are each of yours from?

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Ghoste

Mytur Binsdirti

Ghoste

okay, one theory down.  Next?

cdr

are they interchangeable without major modification ?

Mytur Binsdirti

4 screws & that's it. Whether they're in the same location is something I can't answer.

Charger-Bodie

simple swap. 4 screws, like previously stated.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cdr

well then i cant say for sure that mine is the correct one

Ghoste

I haven't noticed most 68 Chargers having the painted style at all.  Is that also true for the other Chrysler B-bodies then?

cdr

on mine i dont care if the ashtray is original i was just tryin to help dirty turbin,his car is very cool  :drool5:

paironines

I have a unrestored 68 318 car build date June 10th 68. B Plant and it has the 69 style ash tray which is normal and correct.  I did part out a 68 once that didn't have a fender tag but it had the slide down ash tray and the weird gas cap screws so it must've been an early car.

Ryan

Hmm... Wonder why my 69 came with the 68 style one. Built in September 68 I think
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

JB400

Different assembly plants run out of their production parts earlier than others, so they just ship in the next production year if its late in the model run.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: paironines on September 16, 2012, 08:56:30 PM
I have a unrestored 68 318 car build date June 10th 68. B Plant and it has the 69 style ash tray which is normal and correct.  I did part out a 68 once that didn't have a fender tag but it had the slide down ash tray and the weird gas cap screws so it must've been an early car.

Just for curiosity, what are the weird gas cap screws?

Ghoste

69 had a tamper resistant screw with an oddly shaped head that requires a special socket.

Ghoste

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 17, 2012, 12:14:32 AM
Different assembly plants run out of their production parts earlier than others, so they just ship in the next production year if its late in the model run.

Very true but so far the ones mentioned here have all come from Hamtrack.

paironines

Hard to get a pic. Very early 68 style screw

Ghoste

I think that pic shows it quite well. :2thumbs:

paironines

Looks better here then on the phone. Good.

bull

What's the overall length on that screw?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: bull on September 21, 2012, 07:47:25 PM
What's the overall length on that screw?

I'd go for a screw that's as long as I can get.       :2thumbs: