News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the latest on the door handle repros? Anyone using PG Classic sets?

Started by bull, June 25, 2012, 08:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

For as long as I can remember there's been a bunch of different opinions on the quality and fit regarding reproduction door handles. For most of that time some vendors have sold the truck/van handles and many have said they don't fit right, leaving dimples in the doors. I see one of our moderators has endorsed the handles from BE&A, which got me checking the prices on PG Classic. Maybe it's dumb luck but I happened across a sale there listing a pair of handles for $69, which is $36 off the regular price of $105. So $69 for a new set of handles is pretty dang good. Maybe too good? Any reviews?

http://www.pgclassic.com/product_info.php?products_id=696
http://www.pgclassic.com/product_info.php?products_id=698

Patronus

I tried a few sets, 3 I think. They all fit well enough. (Be prepared to file) It was the chrome that disappointed me. Since it gets used quite a bit its the first to start scratching. At $69 bucks thats a steal, I think I paid the $105.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

69 OUR/TEA

I've been there/done that where repos put dimples around the attaching points of the door handles,even tightening them ever so easy.
My car I am restoring right now I have real nice originals that are being used during the bodywork stages,then being sent out for rechroming whatever the cost is.
But,as another backup I am using the backing plates on the inside of the doors,would def recommend these.I think 1Hotdaytona and bill440rt used these also.

Troy

I had always read that the ones from Dales Cuda Shop were the best. I have 2 sets but neither are installed. They're on sale right now for $68 per set:
http://www.dalescudashop.com/19boudoha2.html

And we have a 15% discount code (not sure if you can use both):
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=77419.0

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Why are they all so cheap lately? I get nervous when I start seeing Chevy prices on this stuff.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: bull on June 26, 2012, 12:12:35 PM
Why are they all so cheap lately? I get nervous when I start seeing Chevy prices on this stuff.

Suppliers have woken up and actually want to sell mopar repro parts and realized to do so they have to offer it at a realistic price ?

Troy

You can send the extra to me if it makes you feel better. :D My guess is that nothing is moving and people are trying to reduce inventory. Either that or the prices of the cars have come down and no one is willing to pay NOS prices for repop parts any more. Either way, too much inventory and not enough buyers.

Or the chrome has a shelf life and it's about to fall off...

Troy

bull

Quote from: Troy on June 26, 2012, 01:28:52 PM
You can send the extra to me if it makes you feel better. :D My guess is that nothing is moving and people are trying to reduce inventory. Either that or the prices of the cars have come down and no one is willing to pay NOS prices for repop parts any more. Either way, too much inventory and not enough buyers.

Troy

Maybe I will send you the extra money. I don't want to feel bad.

So anyway, how's the chrome look on those Dales Cuda Shop handles? How long have they been sitting?

Troy

Quote from: bull on June 26, 2012, 02:02:49 PM
Quote from: Troy on June 26, 2012, 01:28:52 PM

Troy

Maybe I will send you the extra money. I don't want to feel bad.

So anyway, how's the chrome look on those Dales Cuda Shop handles? How long have they been sitting?
They looked pretty good the one time I had them out of the box. I may have to dig them out and do a test fit (with pictures of course!).

Troy

bill440rt

The last set I purchased was a year ago, from Herb's. I "think" these are the same as the Dale's Cuda Shop handles. I spoke with Herb at length about the current offerings of repro handles. He carries three different styles, from three different suppliers. He sold me a set as recommended by him (no, they were not the most expensive ones).
They fit perfect, work smoothly, & follow the contour of the door. Chrome was very nice.
I did compare them to the PG ones, which looked too squared off in appearance to me. The originals, along with the ones I got from Herb's, had a more correct "rounder" appearance to them. Hard to explain unless you have them side by side.

When changing handles, yes I also used those backing plates. Best thing I did yet. There were some pretty bad dimples in the door, from previously really crappy repro handles. The plates helped a lot, you can feel the difference now when opening & closing the door.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

twenty mike mike

Quote from: Troy on June 26, 2012, 08:55:47 AM
I had always read that the ones from Dales Cuda Shop were the best. I have 2 sets but neither are installed. They're on sale right now for $68 per set:
http://www.dalescudashop.com/19boudoha2.html

And we have a 15% discount code (not sure if you can use both):
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=77419.0

Troy

The extra 15% discount code just worked for me. Thanks, Troy.

b5blue

I just test fit "Trim parts" repro's from Tamaras (93.00) and the fit and finsh are outstanding. These are made in USA. I also test fit my handle backing plates and they are spot on. Next I'll be fitting my side mirror backing plates with my Rallye mirrors.  :yesnod:

Ghoste

bill440rt

You mean Tamaraz, B5?  :yesnod:
I've seen them before as well.

Come to think of it, the Trim Parts handles were the ones I purchased from Herb's as well. Herb's is only showing one handle on their website for over $100, I believe those are the PG offerings. I paid much less than that from Herb's last year at Carlisle (I want to say between $65-$80 bucks?  :shruggy: ), & they were the Trim Parts handles. Fit & finish are great, & the contour is very nice as well.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

So the Trim Parts ones are preferable to the PG ones, at least in the opinion of some?

b5blue

Trim Parts was made in the USA, so that's what I bought. I have nothing but the original to compare with.  :shruggy: 

tylerk

Any opinions on choosing between Dale's and Trim Parts?
Didn't know if anyone knew what exactly Dale was carrying...
:cheers:

Ghoste

I didn't think any of them were made in the US.  It would be a hell of a nice bonus if the better part was also made on this side of the ocean. :yesnod:

b5blue

For what it's worth my pass. side Trim Parts handle fit the door unlatch rod so tight the door will not lock. (?) I've not figured why yet or tried to re-adjust it just test fit it. Other than that they fit/look good.