News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Option V6Y Dust Swirl Side Tape Stripe Decal

Started by Arnie Cunningham, October 06, 2012, 04:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings All,

I have seen photos of Superbirds over the years with the Dust Trail side stripe.  Are there any documented examples of this being factory option?

Is V6Y the correct option code for this?

I ask because the part numbers for this option on Superbirds are unique.
The part numbers for this option on a standard Road Runner are different.

V6Y

Standard 1970 Road Runner

3505214 3505215 Tape, Fender Side Dust Swirl

2964112 2964113 Decal, Fender Bird
3505138 3505139 Bird Gold

3504916 3504917 Tape, Door Outside Color, Dust Swirl

3505216 3505217 Tape, Quarter Outside Color, Dust Swirl

Superbird
3571200 3571201 Decal, Bird Nose Cone
3571202 3571203 Tape, Fender Outside Color Dust Serial

The Superbird part numbers come from the Special Parts and maintenance schedule for Road Runner Superbird.

Does anyone have photos of an original car with these different decals on it?
I have included a few shots of a standard road runner stripe.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

nascarxx29

They say they wasnt available.But Ive seen cars with them though not documented I know of

The only options available on a SuperBird were a choice between a 440+6 and a 426 Hemi over the standard 440 4bbl engine, a bucket seat interior in black and white over the standard bench seat, and a Torqueflite automatic transmission over the standard 4-speed. Daytonas, on the other hand, could be loaded with any choice of Charger R/T options.

Road Runner equipment not available when the A13 SuperBird package was ordered were: 14 in. Deluxe Wheel Covers, 14 in. Wire Wheel Covers, Air Conditioning, Air Grabber Hood, All Windows - Clear, Automatic Speed Control, Axle Packages (A31, A32 and A34), Basic Group, Body Sill Mouldings, 11 in. Heavy Duty Brakes, Headlight Delay, Hood Performance Paint Treatment, Light Package, Rear Speaker, Road Runner Dust Trail Stripe, Trailer Towing Package and Woodgrain Instrument Panel.

http://www.highdefforum.com/archive/t-133063.html

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/superbird4406barreltorr.jpg/
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Arnie Cunningham

I once misunderstood the V88 to mean no dust stripe.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

nascarxx29

Wouldnt they V88 stripe delete on the trunk not found on a superbird .And replace by plymouth 1/4 letters :Twocents:

Redbird

Brennan,
I had not realized the different "dust trail" stripe numbers before. Could it be that someone early along realized that there were going to be modified Dodge fenders on a Plymouth car, and that the fenders might be different enough that there could be a dimension conflict? After all the 1968-70 B body Plymouth and Dodge inner fenders are not interchangeable and are in fact different in mounting. Perhaps the thought of a different "dust trail" number got carried along and then someone in product planning said no "dust trail" on Superbirds. Then the product numbers got lost in the paperwork shuffle?

I have always thought that the false "myth" that  Superbirds were not available with many options was created by some writer of a mass market magazine, who simply read the Superbird announcement brochure. It seems to have been perpetuated over the years but has little or no basis in fact.

Redbird

Let's look at how Superbirds were built and what the announcement brochure actually says.

As far as I understand all Superbirds had 3 way windshield wipers, power steering, power brakes, front disk brakes, and a max cool radiator-shroud-fan package. In its time this would have been considered a "well optioned" driving car to start with. It has never made any sense to me that an R/T or Daytona, which I believe came with none of these standard would somehow be a better optioned car if the driving features that were standard on a Superbird were all checked on a Charger. To present otherwise seems to fly in the face of common sense.

Next let's look at what wasn't available on the Superbird from the announcement brochure. N96-Air Grabber, V21 Performance Hood Stripes, H51 Air conditioning, and L42 Headlight delay. I'm not aware of Daytona's with these options either.

M25 Sill Moldings were perhaps not offered because of the mix of modified Dodge front fenders on a Plymouth car. I don't know if the profiles on the Product lines intermix, but I believe both the Belvedere and Coronet  lines had these available. I am not sure if they were available on the Charger. Regardless this was not a good option on a rust belt car.

The A04 Basic Group's features were Power Steering, 3 Spd. Windshield Wipers, AM Radio, and Remote left outside mirror. Superbirds' already has the 3 Spd. wipers and PS. I don't believe there is much of a percentage difference in the number of Daytonas and Superbirds having AM radios and Remote left mirrors.

For the A01 Light package, fender turn signals were not available on the Superbird. Daytona's certainly could have hood turn signals. I believe all the other similar lights offered were available on both lines. The map light was chosen very often for all cars. For the average car I'm not sure there was a big difference in accessory lighting.

With the axle packages A31, A32, and A34 someone probably figured that anything that big and that heavy didn't need a 4:10 ring and pinion for stoplight racing. Virtually any 396/402 Camaro or Nova was faster. Anyone that owned a gas station could swap the 4:10 in if they had access to free gas. Otherwise 3:55/3:54 was probably about the best rear ratio for that heavy a car. I'm not sure what the D91 Sure Grip option was.

This leaves the R31 Rear Seat speaker, A35 Trailer Towing and H31 Rear Window defogger not available on the Superbird. I know you can probably find some on a Daytona but these were not  the most common either.
It seems to me the Daytona's most impressive options that weren't available on Superbirds were leather seats, greater variety of exterior/interior colors.

Superbirds offered a decent 15" Rallye Wheel/ tire package that the Daytona didn't have, plus the 6 pack.

Both cars offered the same variety of radios, steering wheels, tinted glass, power windows, pedal dress up and others.  Depending on your view the woodgrain dash option on the Daytona was either really good or a really bad mistake.

I am amazed at how many Mopar dealership photos from 1969 and 1970 have new performance cars on the lot with whitewall tires.

I am also of the belief that both loading the Superbird with so many standard features, and including a 6 pack were major product planning mistakes. Unsaid today is what a bad deal the 6 pack Superbird cars were for a first owner. Drastic cutting of the warranty and drastic insurance upcharges on the 6 pack cars doomed them especially to remain on dealer lots.

I believe the idea that Superbirds were less well optioned is simply a myth started by an uninformed writer back in the day.

A383Wing

I have yet to see a 'Bird with power windows

anyone?

Bryan

Arnie Cunningham

There are two known power windows birds.  The yellow 4 bbl auto car and the hemi auto car.  I have very recently been given scanty info on a power window petty blue 4 speed car.  Might have more info later.  :)

Arnie Cunningham

Thank you Redbird for the input.  I will respond in detail when I get to a real computer :)

nascarxx29

Ive seen P31 on a few superbird fender tags .Also seen N96 on Superbirds :Twocents:

And a P31 code on a superbird tag Power windows ?

nascarxx29

I found a old wingcar meet on youtube thinking maybe run across a dust trail on a superbird there for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCbNrYeH7jM

Did find a 70 RR at dealer with dustrails

JB400

No dustrail on any of the birds.   :coolgleamA: video though.

moparstuart

Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 06, 2012, 09:56:17 PM
Ive seen P31 on a few superbird fender tags .Also seen N96 on Superbirds :Twocents:

And a P31 code on a superbird tag Power windows ?

i have the rare N-96 option on mine   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings All,

Thanks nascarxx29 for posting the Trivia page.  I had seen it before but forgotten how many errors there are in it (the damaged nosecones on the assembly line is a hoot).  I assume whomever put it together made the same mistake I did years ago when I misunderstood V88 Stripe Delete to mean the side dust trail.  The part I was missing was the "Transverse" Stripe Delete which meant the one on the decklid and fender extensions.

As for the different part numbers, notice that there are only 4 for the Superbird and 8 for the regular road runner.  On the regular Road Runner, they had a separate part number for each piece of dust stripe – the rear quarter, door and fender.  And, as many of you know, they did not interchange side to side.  If you look close at the orange car you can see the stripe is installed upside down.  (I believe the "gold" bird reference is the color of the dust around his hidden feet.  It had to match the stripe.  I think the non-stripe bird had orange dust?)

I suspect that with the Superbird stripe kit they just gave you a roll of dust swirl and said figure it out yourself lol.

It is also possible that the part numbers were assigned but never actually made it into production.  There are a few other obvious errors in the information found in the Special Parts and Maintenance Schedule.

As far as options on Superbirds, I agree.  They were pretty heavily loaded in standard form compared to other cars of the day.  Most of the required options and unavailable options are logical when considering the car.  They probably should have mandated 15" wheels for a car that big and heavy.

I agree that some of the myths are certainly stubborn.  The aluminum nose cone one still comes up from time to time.

BOSSOFME

The dust trail stripes on most "restored" '70 Road Runners run "up hill" meaning they were incorrectly installed too high over the front fender wheel opening.  If installed on a Superbird they would probably run up hill as well since the Coronet fenders have a slightly different opening with a character line in the way.
1970 Superbird B5 blue w/white buckets 440/4 auto. on the column,
owned since 1982

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on October 06, 2012, 05:58:14 PM
I once misunderstood the V88 to mean no dust stripe.

I thought the same.  I thought it meant "delete all standard RR decals

GOTWING

I'm not an expert, but i have never seen a Superbird that came from the factory with a dust trail stripe. I have thought many times about putting one on mine, it can always come off. I liked it on my plum 70 RR.

GOTWING

A383WING, i saw one Superbird with power windows, it was white with black interior sitting on a car trailer at Mopars at Englishtown race way park for sale back around 1989-91 or so, car was original needing a light restoration.

pettybird

I've seen a number of stripe delete cars, and the 6 vs 8 seems to indicate which stripe was STANDARD for the car.  Road Runners got the tail stripe, so V88.  70 Charger R/T came standard with the side stripes, to V68. 

If someone has something to disprove that, I'd be glad to say I'm wrong.

Ghoste

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on October 07, 2012, 10:37:29 AM

I agree that some of the myths are certainly stubborn.  The aluminum nose cone one still comes up from time to time.

Agreed, and the fiberglass one seems to come up about as often.

richRTSE

QuoteAnd, as many of you know, they did not interchange side to side.  If you look close at the orange car you can see the stripe is installed upside down.

Arnie, what am I missing? Are you referring to one of the orange cars at the top of this post? Isn't the top of the dust cloud leaning forward correct?
:shruggy:

Arnie Cunningham

I could be wrong on this but I was told that there is a top and bottom to the dust stripe.
This seems to be backed up by the fact that there are 8 different part numbers for the complete
stripe kit for a standard Road Runner - the two "gold" birds, the two fender pieces, two pieces for
the doors and two pieces for the short section of the rear quarter panel.
I was told you could tell the bottom by the little "x" which appears about every three or four inches
on the stripe.  The yellow car in the posted photos has one section with the x on the top and one
section with the x on the bottom.
I was told that this x is supposed to be the road runner's foot prints left as he runs.  It is kind of hard
to see but you can see it on the yellow car.
Might be total bs but it kind of makes sense.
I guess the only way to tell would be to find a set of vintage NOS stripes and look at them.  They have
right and left consecutive part numbers which would tell us which side of the car they belonged on.

Arnie Cunningham

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-1970-ROADRUNNER-LT-QT-PANEL-DUST-SWIRL-TAPE-/140745222428?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2631834219053503729%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D360489686021%26

Here is an NOS 3505217.  As I understand these consecutive part numbers, the first one is always the Right side.  So 3505216 would be the right side and this 3505217 would be the left/driver's side.  If you look close you can see the "x" on the bottom.

The only thing I am not sure about is ..... does the photo show the exposed side?  I think it does.  Or did these decals look the same on both sides.

Anyone with more decal knowledge out there please chime in.

held1823

chalk me up as part of the learned something today crowd. i had given up trying to identify what the clue was.

the marks are visible at the black arrows. it appears the orange car's stripe is upside down, as well.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Arnie Cunningham

Ya gotta love the internet.  It is so cool to clear these things up!