News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood turn signal kit???

Started by rebby, October 11, 2012, 02:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebby

Has anybody purchased one of these sets?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110962511972

I have one from Charger Specialties that now costs over $200! This one is quite a bit more affordable. Since you generally get what you pay for though.... I figured that I'd ask around first.

Thanks.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

cdr

i need that also,,,if you get one let us know how crappy it is please

thanx charlie
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

areibel

The Charger Specialties ones look like they have the same die cast piece as the original, it looks like these just have a sheet metal retainer and the harnes clips into it?

bill440rt

The seller is PG Classics. Those are the same offerings as B/EA. What's missing from that "kit" is the housings themselves. Without those, you're still in limbo.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

rebby

Quote from: bill440rt on October 11, 2012, 08:29:33 PM
The seller is PG Classics. Those are the same offerings as B/EA. What's missing from that "kit" is the housings themselves. Without those, you're still in limbo.

Ah, that's a huge difference right there. Thanks Bill!
Curt Rebelein, Junior

Silver R/T

Still lenses themselves can cost upwards of $50. Thanks for posting this kit. Definitely buying it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Lennard

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 13, 2012, 01:20:42 PM
Still lenses themselves can cost upwards of $50. Thanks for posting this kit. Definitely buying it.
Yep, I clicked the "buy it now" button last night.

rebby

Cool! Please post a follow up with your thoughts when you have a set in hand. Thanks!
Curt Rebelein, Junior

Lennard

Lord Warlock

Yep, if you hadn't i would have, i have the housings, but the lenses and wiring are suspect on mine, and i'm missing the retainer pieces (large aluminum piece with hole in it).  That is a lot better price than the full kit from BEA.

what concerns me is the lens colors, they look more yellow than orange, my originals are darker orange.  one of mine is in great shape, the other looks fairly nasty.  Gonna mark it as a possible source in the next couple days. 

69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Lord Warlock

not sure if that is black paint or a rubber gasket.  the originals had a rubber gasket between the lens and the housing, it doesn't look like the original gasket that was on my housings so it may be paint.  Still think the color is wrong, but for the price, i'm willing to go with yellow over orange for now.  Its better to have a working unit even if they aren't exactly correct.  I did order a set myself.

I priced a couple of the pieces that were missing on mine, and for the price of one lens and one of the retainer clips would have cost half of the cost of this entire kit, so i thought it was worth the price and ordered one before the original sale was over.    
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bakerhillpins

Ok, I guess I miss understood your previous post and thought you didn't order because the auction was out of them.  :cheers:

My hood turn signals are an orange color as well but I didn't think they had a rubber gasket that covered the lens that way. I just thought a gasket sealed to the hood and they painted out the part of the lens that they wanted blacked out. I guess I will have to take a look at mine tonight.  :scratchchin:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Lennard

Quote from: rebby on October 13, 2012, 08:39:47 PM
Cool! Please post a follow up with your thoughts when you have a set in hand. Thanks!
Well, today the kit came in and to my surprise it's a complete set including the turn signal housings. Not bad for $69... this complete set cost $229.95 on eBay. They must have made a mistake in my advantage for once. :2thumbs:
I compared the new lenses with the original lenses I've got and they are a bit more yellow colored than the originals but I think you will only notice that when you have them side by side. In my opinion the quality meets/exceeds the factory parts.

Lord Warlock

I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive, good to hear yours arrived safely and with additional pieces.  Maybe i'll check the tracking on mine to get an idea of an arrival date.  

The wires themeselves, when connected to the firewall harness, they do go inside the hood itself correct?  I seem to remember they used to, but initial fishing expeditions through the channels wasn't as easy as pulling them out was. 

Lennard

Quote from: Lord Warlock on October 24, 2012, 08:18:07 PM
The wires themeselves, when connected to the firewall harness, they do go inside the hood itself correct?  I seem to remember they used to, but initial fishing expeditions through the channels wasn't as easy as pulling them out was. 
Yes, they go through the hoodframe:

Fishing them through was quite a challenge. I ran mine so wires came out one hole instead of two. I used piano wire to fish them through.

Dino

Hmm $70 for the whole thing?  That's pretty good.  My lenses are done for, they are cracked and turning white.  I'm also missing one of the retainer brackets.  I don't like that they are more yellow though so I may have to recoat them with orange lens paint.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Looks like you were in luck Lennard.  I just contaced the seller and he says what's in the picture is what you get, nothing more.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2012, 10:24:50 AM
Looks like you were in luck Lennard.  I just contaced the seller and he says what's in the picture is what you get, nothing more.

I don't understand?  What was lucky about what Lenard got, I would have expected him to get everything in the pic?  Did the auction state something less and he got a more advanced kit?

:scratchchin:

Never mind, seems each auction has a different pic and the housings aren't in any of them. The connector to the wiring harness is missing in another as well.

Quote from: Lord Warlock on October 19, 2012, 02:58:09 AM
not sure if that is black paint or a rubber gasket.  the originals had a rubber gasket between the lens and the housing, it doesn't look like the original gasket that was on my housings so it may be paint.

I just looked at my charger and I don't have any gasket at all anywhere on the hood turn lights. None in any of the kits either. Does someone have a pic of them or know where to get them?  The rubber boot on the lamp socket is starting to rot too.  :'(
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Dino

The rubber boots on mine are on borrowed time as wlel.  I think the only thing holding it onto the housing is engine bay gunk.  If there's another auction with all that Lennard received then I'll take that.  I'd love to replace the whole thing.  43 years is long enough for these parts.

Lord Warlock

estimated delivery date is the 30th which seems a little long for fedexp, but i'll live with it, isn't a big rush on this piece.   The car isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  My originals had an issue with the grounding i believe,  they only worked when it rained, which i believe was due to where the bulbs fit into the housings.  I figured i'd sand the inner housing and see if it gave better contact but now i'll wait to see how the new set works. 

Lennard

Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2012, 10:24:50 AM
Looks like you were in luck Lennard.  I just contaced the seller and he says what's in the picture is what you get, nothing more.
:yesnod: It took two weeks to get to me from Canada but it was worth the wait.

Here are some more eBay auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1969+dodge+charger+hood+signal+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m1950

bakerhillpins

The seller has a different pic up from the Auction that you bought from. It has even less of the hardware shown in it.

Wonder if he is dumping off the remaining parts from a full production run?

Still would like to know about the gasket for these. I don't have them.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Lord Warlock

when i  spoke of a gasket,  when you seperate the lens from the housing, there is a thin rubber gasket that fits between the two, I don't really see how it serves a purpose other than not letting moisture into the lens itself, mine was broken when i disassembled it, a thin coat of silicon sealant would work just as good.