News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UPDATED- NEW photos of the K&K Daytona at Talladega running 201 mph

Started by odcics2, October 11, 2012, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 05, 2012, 09:19:13 AM

In 1960 they were heavily modified production cars.  

By 1970 they were more like custom-built cars made from a pile of stock production parts.  The fact that the unibodes arrived from the factory already spot-welded together was becoming a drawback as much as a benefit.  

Here's a mid-70's shot of the Petty shop showing the modern way of race car building from the platform up.     Note the short-lived '75 Charger which was tested.   

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

charger490

odcics2

Quote from: moparstuart on November 05, 2012, 04:04:57 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 05, 2012, 01:06:40 PM
I'm one that is more in favor of at least running a stock body.  The only addition should be a rear spoiler and a splitter.  Save the decals for the numbers, sponsors and the lights. I don't care what is underneath the skin:Twocents:
and let them all run their  own destinct  drive trains and actually let fans be loyal to there brands 

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

odcics2

Quote from: charger490 on November 10, 2012, 02:53:59 PM
here is one

Not really - that's the car that resides at the Talladega Museum.   If you look closely at the photos at the beginning you can see many differences in the body.  The car at the museum appears to be Nascar legal!!! 

Aero426

The museum car would be the derelict sitting outside the K & K shop under cover. 

odcics2

The K&K ran two four barrel carbs in November, 1970 at the 201 run.

These photos speak for themselves...   See the 2-4 bbl breather under the hood?   

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on September 24, 2014, 08:24:01 PM

The K&K ran two four barrel carbs in November, 1970 at the 201 run.

These photos speak for themselves...   See the 2-4 bbl breather under the hood?   

Translation:  The K & K was not legal when it set the record.   

Mike DC

At least half the GN cars running in that era weren't legal in some form.  Just a matter of degree.

Ghoste

Did they not check them for at least some legality before declaring a record?

Mike DC

I think it was just impressive that anyone was running 200mph laps on a circle/oval racecourse at all.  The highest ranks of European open-wheel racing wasn't even near that fast at the time.  Going 200mph on land had been Bonneville territory up until then.

The K&K car in those shots wasn't NASCAR legal in the body either.  Check the missing roof gutters/etc and the smoothed A-pillar.

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 24, 2014, 09:39:32 PM
At least half the GN cars running in that era weren't legal in some form.  Just a matter of degree.

By any definition, an extra carburetor is something of a whopper.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2014, 06:41:59 AM
Did they not check them for at least some legality before declaring a record?

It was a closed course speed record.   Not for any sanctioning body.     Show up, go fast.

Besides, it was too damn cold that day to check anything.     I am surprised they even got the car started.   

Ghoste

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2014, 12:00:54 PM
Ah understood.  What was the temp btw?
I think it was quoted as being 18 degrees that morning.   Not sure what it was at the time they ran.

odcics2

States "near freezing" temps in the article.   34 maybe??   

Yeah, it would be very difficult to get it started with one carb, let alone a pair!!    :smilielol:

Aero426

Cold blooded under the best of circumstances.   They are tough to start below 50 degrees.   

tan top

more good pictures  , thanks for sharing  :cheers: :cheers:
  not wanting to hijack this thread ,  been looking for that picture that was posted on here a while back , with think it was  three # 71 daytonas lined up  out side K& Ks shop  , wonder what happened to the other Daytona chassis ?
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

If you start working backwards,  one car remains, which is the one that did the promo work for K & K in 1971-72, then put out back and later restored.  

The Bonneville car (based on a story told by someone who saw it in sad shape) rusted away FAST after the trip to the salt.    

Another short track car went to the Louisville area around 1971.

That leaves two cars.    It is likely a couple of cars got rebodied and reworked for 1971 and the limited schedule the team ran from there on out.    

The photo also assumes  there are no other cars in the shop.   This is the second K & K shop which was rented from the Nichels & Goldsmith Safety Center  (The other K & K shop was a short distance away near Harry Hyde's home.)    I don't think any other team had as many cars in their inventory as K & K.     Harry Lee Hyde said they had "four or five cars,  but not all were ready to run at the same time".

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on September 25, 2014, 09:09:09 AM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 24, 2014, 09:39:32 PM

By any definition, an extra carburetor is something of a whopper.

The article in the paper noted the car was NASCAR legal, except for side glass and no restrictor plate on the carb. 
It was a Nascar sanctioned run, using their timing equipment. 

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on September 25, 2014, 04:26:11 PM
If you start working backwards,  one car remains, which is the one that did the promo work for K & K in 1971-72, then put out back and later restored.  

The Bonneville car (based on a story told by someone who saw it in sad shape) rusted away FAST after the trip to the salt.    

Another short track car went to the Louisville area around 1971.

That leaves two cars.    It is likely a couple of cars got rebodied and reworked for 1971 and the limited schedule the team ran from there on out.    

The photo also assumes  there are no other cars in the shop.   This is the second K & K shop which was rented from the Nichels & Goldsmith Safety Center  (The other K & K shop was a short distance away near Harry Hyde's home.)    I don't think any other team had as many cars in their inventory as K & K.     Harry Lee Hyde said they had "four or five cars,  but not all were ready to run at the same time".

In the photo the 201 car is not present. Also, the 201 car is the same one that ran Bonneville the following September. The rear window was flushed out for that run. The rest of the body mods remained the same. ("A" Pillars, no drip rails, 'lower' fender scoops)
If you look at the truck on the left, it's the one that was at the 201 run!!  

It says: "Grand National Champion" above the word DODGE.
That dates the photo to after the 1970 season, at least.

odcics2

dual holley breather photos.