News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2001 Gen 2 Viper Motor in a 1968 Charger

Started by hollywood1336, October 17, 2012, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollywood1336

From the title you can probably guess what the question is. I want to put a Gen 2 Viper motor in my 318 XP VIN code 68 Charger. I found a great deal on a motor and bought it so once the car is out of the body shop I will start looking at motor installation.
I read the other post in this forum where a guy installed what looked like a Gen 3 motor in a Charger but he looked to have a clean sheet of paper to work with, meaning it didn't look like much of the original car was left after he cut it apart. I also read an article in either Hot Rod or Hot Rodding magazine but there wasn't too much detail on the actual motor installation. I have a fairly complete car in really good condition (after all the body work has been completed). I realize the firewall will have to be modiified but my real question is more front end related. What had to happen to the K member, did anyone use an after market suspension such as a control freak suspension. If a stock K member is used, is there enough clearance to the stock Viper oil pan. So basically, did anyone out there take a fairly complete finished car and install a Viper motor in it, and if so would you please share your installation experience. If you look on the internet there are a few Charger out there with Viper motors in them but there don't seem to be that many articles on how to do the installation.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

bigblue73

The one that really comes to mind is the Silver with red rump striped car that was built by Delaney Auto Design (DAD).  The reason you won't get the instruction book for this is that they want your business.  You are entering into a project with the ultimate WOW factor.  This is just good 'ol hotrodding.  Good luck on your install. 

Seriously, I think all carts that have been built have aftermarket front suspensions under them.  In reality making a set of motor mounts to join the K Frame to the Viper engine does sound so bad.  Look at this way....back in the day we stuffed a 350 in the engine bay of a Vega.....you are stuffing a V10 in a Charger.  Nothing different here.....Good for it.  If you need help with respect to a hydraulic clutch and such, don't hesitate to ask.

Tony Edler
Mopar Technical Support and Sales
Hurst Driveline Conversions

hollywood1336

Thanks for your feedback Bigblue. I'm pretty much relageted to the idea of putting in an upgraded front suspension. There are three out there, Magnum Force, Alterkation and Control Freak, all are very pricey though and all will require some modification to get this motor in. It wouldn't be fun if it went straight in.
You mention Hydraulic clutch, my car is a 2 pedal car (automatic) so I will have to add the third pedal and adapt that into the T56 tranny. Do you ahve some ideas there.

RamZCharger

Here is a pretty good post - http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30342.0.html

Seems the trick is moving the firewall back to fit the V-10, or have a very custom radiator.  Good luck  :cheers: