News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Soda Blast vs Sand Blast vs Acid dip????

Started by Mopar1979, October 18, 2012, 03:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Dry ice blasting.  It'll take care of that undercoating as well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mopar1979

Where could I find more info on dry ice blasting. Sounds like an option

Chatt69chgr

Here's some of my 69 Charger blasted with crushed glass at Blast From The Past

Mopar1979

Looks real good! Did you have them blast off undercoating or did you scrape it off. My body guy wants it blasted before working on mine. I figure that I am wasting money on the panels that I am cutting off . The quarters, taillight bezel , and front and rear valances. Maybe I should remove them first

Lennard

Quote from: Mopar1979 on October 22, 2012, 09:06:39 PM
Looks real good! Did you have them blast off undercoating or did you scrape it off. My body guy wants it blasted before working on mine. I figure that I am wasting money on the panels that I am cutting off . The quarters, taillight bezel , and front and rear valances. Maybe I should remove them first
ALWAYS cut out / cut off the rotton sheetmetal before you blast, that way you can see what's behind it and it can be blasted/treated too.
This is how mine goes to the blaster:

JB400

Was the whole skin on your car shot, or did you just decide to replace the whole skin Lennard?  Any before deskinning pic?

Chatt69chgr

I scraped off the undercoating myself.  They said they could blast it off for an extra $900.

Dino

Man this stuff has become pricey!  I used to have entire cars done for under a grand.  Inside and out, all separate panels included. 

How much is dipping these days?  3 grand?

Lennard

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 22, 2012, 10:10:05 PM
Was the whole skin on your car shot, or did you just decide to replace the whole skin Lennard?  Any before deskinning pic?
It was a bondo bucket and I hate rust so every panel that had (in my opinion) to much rust on/in it had to go.

Mopar1979

I found a guy who was recommended that uses glass beeds. He says the glass will clean up better and get the undercoating off. I may use him instead of acid because of what many have said about leaching thru the paint

Mike DC

Glass is basically sand, and sand is notorious for warping panels.  

elitecustombody

Like it's been said, both methods have good and bad, but I would blast. Dipping creates more rust problems. And if you decide to dip, make sure it's alkaline dip,not acid. I had to do some collision work on a Pro-Touring 79 Formula that was dipped and restored by a reputable shop in OK with $30k bill just for paint. Car was done about 3 years ago. Now all the edges around the trunk lid, all pinchwelds showing some major rust,some areas are literally blistering. I can tell you that I would never dip my car after seeing that 79 Formula. The guy has over quarter of a million dollars in it and it's slowly rotting because of dipping.  :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Dino

Quote from: elitecustombody on October 25, 2012, 08:22:19 AM
Like it's been said, both methods have good and bad, but I would blast. Dipping creates more rust problems. And if you decide to dip, make sure it's alkaline dip,not acid. I had to do some collision work on a Pro-Touring 79 Formula that was dipped and restored by a reputable shop in OK with $30k bill just for paint. Car was done about 3 years ago. Now all the edges around the trunk lid, all pinchwelds showing some major rust,some areas are literally blistering. I can tell you that I would never dip my car after seeing that 79 Formula. The guy has over quarter of a million dollars in it and it's slowly rotting because of dipping.  :Twocents:

Woah, that's a lot of dough for a Formula!  That must really hurt to see your baby rust before your eyes.   :rotz:

elitecustombody

Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2012, 08:27:28 AM

Woah, that's a lot of dough for a Formula!  That must really hurt to see your baby rust before your eyes.   :rotz:

It  hurt me to see that and it wasn't even my car.  I miss that car, it was fun having it for few months and working out all the  rattles,noises and other issues from another shop's work :icon_smile_big:

Stefan

Dino

Quote from: elitecustombody on October 25, 2012, 08:44:36 AM

It  hurt me to see that and it wasn't even my car.  I miss that car, it was fun having it for few months and working out all the  rattles,noises and other issues from another shop's work :icon_smile_big:

I hear ya, I still have fond memories of cars I did ages ago that weren't mine.  If you miss fixing rattles and noises, lemme send over my car.   :icon_smile_big:

elitecustombody

Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2012, 08:47:57 AM

I hear ya, I still have fond memories of cars I did ages ago that weren't mine.  If you miss fixing rattles and noises, lemme send over my car.   :icon_smile_big:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, it was fun because I got to drive it for few months working out the bugs,having all new full DSE package,BAER big brakes,LS7 makes it much more fun than stock :icon_smile_big:

Here is a pic

Stefan

JB400

It's always fun driving everyone else's toys.  Especially when you get paid to fix them. :2thumbs:  Someone has a nice toy :coolgleamA:

Dino

Quote from: elitecustombody on October 25, 2012, 12:07:31 PM
Quote from: Dino on October 25, 2012, 08:47:57 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, it was fun because I got to drive it for few months working out the bugs,having all new full DSE package,BAER big brakes,LS7 makes it much more fun than stock :icon_smile_big:

Here is a pic

Yeah I'd cry as well if that was slowly rotting away.  Very nice car.  What a damn shame.

That reminds me of this little Italian Alfa roadster we restored.  It was in '90 so I was just starting out as an apprentice.  I learned a lot working on that car and after months of tinkering with it and seeing it come back to life you get a special bond with it.

The owner was in 7th heaven when he got his old car back looking better than new. We fixed just about everything on it and heard from the owner's wife a few weeks later that he was hit by a young punk in a moving van.  The owner was a bit beat up but lived to tell, the car did not.  I saw the pictures months later, the entire passenger side was gone.  The only thing that looked decent was half of the engine bay and the driver's seat.  I'll never forget that.

My boss at the time told me that the owner wanted it fixed again but he declined and when I saw those pictures I could see why.