News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console lid alignment

Started by charger Downunder, November 01, 2012, 06:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger Downunder

Am i the only one suffering from a console lid that doesn't line up properly its been like it for years, looks like i have to drill the top lid hinge holes out a bit to get the lid to adjust back further on one side.
[/quote]

Ghoste

I have had it before but I cannot recall ever trying to fix it.  Let us know how you make out.

Dino

They're all crooked.  Get the drill  out!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger Downunder

Maybe the consoles warp over the years and go out of shape and makes the lid not lign up.
[/quote]

tan top

went all through this with mine , i mentioned it in a thread sometime ago  , spent hours  redrilling , elongating  holes  , aligning the top plates & lid , got it to fit real good , not perfect but close  ,  fitted it in the car ,  WTF :icon_smile_blackeye:  lid out of alignment !!  whats happening when you screw it down on the floor bracket ((( brackets were not bent & original factory fitted )))) & it twists  , need to shim it  , level ,  after all that work  & seeing this was the  second to last thing to ,   when when putting the charger back together after the resto  , just  left it as it was  ,  will get round to shimming it one day i said to my self , that was  must be close on 12 years ago now  :slap: ,
picture below  , not bad but .....

also the  the 1969 charger 500 , in the road test video , on youtube  , has a out of alignment console lid  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

AKcharger

I bent the hinge a bit and that helped.

charger Downunder

Quote from: tan top on November 01, 2012, 06:14:47 PM
went all through this with mine , i mentioned it in a thread sometime ago  , spent hours  redrilling , elongating  holes  , aligning the top plates & lid , got it to fit real good , not perfect but close  ,  fitted it in the car ,  WTF :icon_smile_blackeye:  lid out of alignment !!  whats happening when you screw it down on the floor bracket ((( brackets were not bent & original factory fitted )))) & it twists  , need to shim it  , level ,  after all that work  & seeing this was the  second to last thing to ,   when when putting the charger back together after the resto  , just  left it as it was  ,  will get round to shimming it one day i said to my self , that was  must be close on 12 years ago now  :slap: ,

also the  the 1969 charger 500 , in the road test video , on youtube  , has a out of alignment console lid  :yesnod:

Yep fixed it today. Took the back & front plate off got the spirit level and shimmed out the mounts where needed. Realigned the lid hinge and now a huge improvement. Be very careful and don't over tighten the lid speed nuts.
Should of done this years ago would of solved hours of frustration and never getting it right.
[/quote]

tan top

Quote from: charger Downunder on November 20, 2012, 03:35:13 PM
Quote from: tan top on November 01, 2012, 06:14:47 PM

Yep fixed it today. Took the back & front plate off got the spirit level and shimmed out the mounts where needed. Realigned the lid hinge and now a huge improvement. Be very careful and don't over tighten the lid speed nuts.
Should of done this years ago would of solved hours of frustration and never getting it right.

:2thumbs:  good stuff  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

kab69440

There's only so much the factory hardware will get you. If you want to see perfection you can either die and go to Heaven or start making your own tweaks and adjustments. I personally was tickled pink just to get it to the point of not wearing a groove in the plastic when it opened.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

twodko

I did the whole shim/level thing too and it did help a bit. What I ended up doing was taking the lid off and shaving a tad off one end using the wide belt part of my sanding center. On my lid I took some off the front edge, now it fits perfectly.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

charger Downunder

Quote from: kab69440 on November 20, 2012, 04:34:11 PM
There's only so much the factory hardware will get you. If you want to see perfection you can either die and go to Heaven or start making your own tweaks and adjustments. I personally was tickled pink just to get it to the point of not wearing a groove in the plastic when it opened.

I have that groove, not scraping anymore. :cheers:
[/quote]

68 CHARGER R/T

mine lines up fine,  just the front of the lid portion won"t sit flush it's springy  :brickwall: 

Ghoste

But not warped right, just being pushed up in that one spot?

68 CHARGER R/T

Quote from: Ghoste on November 21, 2012, 09:12:55 AM
But not warped right, just being pushed up in that one spot?

yes sir at the front

AKcharger

Hey down under...you didn't take any pictures did ya'? would be good to see where you put the shims at exactly

charger Downunder

Quote from: AKcharger on November 22, 2012, 02:11:27 PM
Hey down under...you didn't take any pictures did ya'? would be good to see where you put the shims at exactly

No pics but if you take out the chrome back end two screws. Front panel two screws open console lid you will see them.will have to move the shifter to get the top panel around.not undo just move it from park, make sure your hand brake is on. Undo the two screws on the floor brace. plus undo the two screws in the bottom of the console. Now get a spirit level put it on across the front of the console and make level by shimming either screw on the front brace push down on the front part of console as if it was screwed down to check level. now do the same with the two in the console remove the level to the rear, and you can access them through the back. Tighten up all four screws and check levels again you may have to add a bit more of a shim as when you tighten down there may be some final movement to sort out. Once all level and not bent or warped you can get onto adjusting the lid. Depends on how much shimming is needed you may have to get a longer screw for the ones that needs the shims. should all be done with in the hour. One way to check if your console is level by eye is to stand at the back of your car and look through the back window.
[/quote]

Ghoste

And to think the factory just threw 'em in there and bolted 'em down.  :lol:   (I like your way better even if it does take a little longer)

Charger_Fan

Quote from: charger Downunder on November 01, 2012, 05:56:56 PM
Maybe the consoles warp over the years and go out of shape and makes the lid not lign up.
I have decided that it's the tortion spring in the piano hinge that does it. The hinge is under a constant twist due to the tortion spring & that twist eventually tweaks the way the lid fits.
I think that if the spring was removed, the problem would likely go away...but then the lid would no longer stay open on it's own, that would be even less fun than the lid alignment problem.

I have also tought about making another spring to twist the other direction to even it out, but the fitment logistics would be a pain. Shims are still the best sounding remedy.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

AKcharger

Quote from: charger Downunder on November 22, 2012, 07:43:04 PM

No pics but if you take out the chrome back end two screws. Front panel two screws open console lid you will see them.will have to move the shifter to get the top panel around.not undo just move it from park, make sure your hand brake is on. Undo the two screws on the floor brace. plus undo the two screws in the bottom of the console. Now get a spirit level put it on across the front of the console and make level by shimming either screw on the front brace push down on the front part of console as if it was screwed down to check level. now do the same with the two in the console remove the level to the rear, and you can access them through the back. Tighten up all four screws and check levels again you may have to add a bit more of a shim as when you tighten down there may be some final movement to sort out. Once all level and not bent or warped you can get onto adjusting the lid. Depends on how much shimming is needed you may have to get a longer screw for the ones that needs the shims. should all be done with in the hour. One way to check if your console is level by eye is to stand at the back of your car and look through the back window.

So your saying simply make sure the plastic console shell is stright 1st, then start the alighnment...Why take off the very rear trim piece? I'd think just leveling from the back and front would be fine?

charger Downunder

Quote from: AKcharger on November 29, 2012, 02:07:14 AM
Quote from: charger Downunder on November 22, 2012, 07:43:04 PM

So your saying simply make sure the plastic console shell is stright 1st, then start the alighnment...Why take off the very rear trim piece? I'd think just leveling from the back and front would be fine?

If you take off the rear trim piece, I am talking about the chrome die cast end, you need this off to get to the two screws that may need shimming that you can see in the console.
[/quote]

Ghoste

So did you get it shimmed up AK?

Back N Black

Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on November 20, 2012, 07:47:03 PM
mine lines up fine,  just the front of the lid portion won"t sit flush it's springy  :brickwall: 

I had the same problem, i replaced the latch mechanism. The latch wears and becomes sloppy, open your lid and push down on the lever catch, it most likely be loose.

68 CHARGER R/T

i will give it a shot thanks  :2thumbs:

AKcharger

So does any one have pictures of this process and confirm you have to do it with console INSTALLED?