News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unrestored daytona anyone heres

Started by nascarxx29, November 06, 2012, 12:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

JB400

nascarxx29

Seat belt clips on top of console Brake lines facing fender  :popcrn:

maxwellwedge

Never, ever seen those seat belt clips on a console....looks sorta homemade. Anyone else?

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 06, 2012, 01:19:59 PM
Never, ever seen those seat belt clips on a console....looks sorta homemade. Anyone else?

Yeap,,, seen them on C-bodies with console........  Wow.... I'm marking this day in my calender !   :2thumbs:

I used to ( or maybe still do up in the attic ) a black version I got out of a '70 Polara convertible with a console automatic ( A long time ago !! )
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 06, 2012, 01:35:42 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 06, 2012, 01:19:59 PM

Yeap,,, seen them on C-bodies with console........  Wow.... I'm marking this day in my calender !   :2thumbs:

I used to ( or maybe still do up in the attic ) a black version I got out of a '70 Polara convertible with a console automatic ( A long time ago !! )
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

So now the question becomes, did that car somehow get a C-body console from new or was it modified later on?  :D

nascarxx29

Ive seen those on front of the seats and pair on front edge of backseat.I knda recall seeing them on C Bodys .But C  body console were longer I think back half came off
http://compare.ebay.com/like/150244718268?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

WINGIN IT

Not only that, how does the dashpad and instrument cluster get so baked ( it almost looks melted  :o  ) and the seats are pristine?  Seat covers?

nascarxx29

http://www.cbodydrydock.com/forum_viewtopic.php?5.24158.0 Those on the unrestored car show rivets or screws on the top C body doesnt

JB400

Considering the Daytona was an upscale of an upscale car, it wouldn't surprise me if c body parts ended up on them

Ghoste

I disagree.  It was an homologation car slapped together as quickly as possible to get them on the "shipped" list and if anything a money loser for Dodge on a unit basis.  Unlikely they would add upscale parts from an unrelated car line.

nascarxx29

The superbird did get a C body hood latch :icon_smile_big:

JB400

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with your disagreement.  The 500 was just thrown together at the last minute.  The Daytona was more refined.  While racing was more on the minds of most, I'm sure the sales department had their fair share in what went on in these cars.  They had to know right off the bat they would be a flop sales wise.  So why not throw in a few luxury touches to make it more appealing.  Besides, these cars cost a little bit more to buy than a standard Charger or even a 500.  More luxury for the money?

cdr

notice the lic plate 668 AMD,THE DAYTONA WAS NOT A FLOP IN SALES ! only the copy cat was  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

pettybird

Machado will know whose car this is...it's a SoCal owner.  Those pics are at Spring Fling.

It's a cool car.  The couple times I'd seen it they had Mopar "driver's education" placards on it. 

Golden-Arm

hemigeno

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 06, 2012, 02:09:18 PM
Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with your disagreement.  The 500 was just thrown together at the last minute.  The Daytona was more refined.  While racing was more on the minds of most, I'm sure the sales department had their fair share in what went on in these cars.  They had to know right off the bat they would be a flop sales wise.  So why not throw in a few luxury touches to make it more appealing.  Besides, these cars cost a little bit more to buy than a standard Charger or even a 500.  More luxury for the money?

I'm not sure where you got your information from, but it does not at all coincide with what I've researched of the Daytona's developmental process.

As for the seatbelt clips, console stowage clips were mounted on 1969 C-body consoles but not on B-body versions.  You have to dig into the parts book to see the distinction, but it's there.  While it might suit some folks' argument to say "you never know what might have happened with Chrysler back then", the problem with arguing that this is a factory-installed console has to get around the fact that Hamtramck did not make C-body cars in '69.  So... not only would there had to have been a shortage on the Hamtramck line of blue B-body consoles at the exact moment this car's interior was being installed, but a shipment of C-body consoles would had to have been mis-directed to Hamtramck and accepted by the plant's parts procurement employees.  Maybe it's because I'm from Missouri and all, but I'd have to know a bit more about the history of that car before signing on to the "It's a factory-installed console" petition.

Cool car nonetheless!!!

:Twocents:

JB400

Quote from: hemigeno on November 06, 2012, 02:55:04 PM
Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with your disagreement.  The 500 was just thrown together at the last minute.  The Daytona was more refined.  While racing was more on the minds of most, I'm sure the sales department had their fair share in what went on in these cars.  They had to know right off the bat they would be a flop sales wise.  So why not throw in a few luxury touches to make it more appealing.  Besides, these cars cost a little bit more to buy than a standard Charger or even a 500.  More luxury for the money?

I'm not sure where you got your information from, but it does not at all coincide with what I've researched of the Daytona's developmental process.

As for the seatbelt clips, console stowage clips were mounted on 1969 C-body consoles but not on B-body versions.  You have to dig into the parts book to see the distinction, but it's there.  While it might suit some folks' argument to say "you never know what might have happened with Chrysler back then", the problem with arguing that this is a factory-installed console has to get around the fact that Hamtramck did not make C-body cars in '69.  So... not only would there had to have been a shortage on the Hamtramck line of blue B-body consoles at the exact moment this car's interior was being installed, but a shipment of C-body consoles would had to have been mis-directed to Hamtramck and accepted by the plant's parts procurement employees.  Maybe it's because I'm from Missouri and all, but I'd have to know a bit more about the history of that car before signing on to the "It's a factory-installed console" petition.

Cool car nonetheless!!!

I'm in Missouri as well. I'm not one that is obsessed with these cars either.  I don't know where which car was made or what not or the fender tag code for every option, but I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me what options came on certain cars.  But, sense factory documents are a little rare on some subjects, it wouldn't surprise me if there are factory oddballs, especially if it was originally built for a exec or some other official.  .

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on November 06, 2012, 02:24:49 PM
Machado will know whose car this is...it's a SoCal owner.  Those pics are at Spring Fling.

Correct.  He was standing in one of the photos of the car I saw somewhere.     I think he commented it was a "known about" car, just unrestored is all.       

TheAutoArchaeologist

Ghoste

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 06, 2012, 03:03:32 PM

Cool car nonetheless!!!

I'm in Missouri as well. I'm not one that is obsessed with these cars either.  I don't know where which car was made or what not or the fender tag code for every option, but I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me what options came on certain cars.  But, sense factory documents are a little rare on some subjects, it wouldn't surprise me if there are factory oddballs, especially if it was originally built for a exec or some other official.  .

I don't need to be from Missouri, I just plain don't think it is the factory one.

JB400

In Missouri tradition, Show Me that it's not the original :D  Anything is possible :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Well I can see where this is going so you are right, its likely factory.

JB400

For the record, I rescued a console out of a 70 Fury 3 that had those on there at one point. I'll probably fill the holes in before I stick in my 69 unless I can find a pair.

odcics2

Want to start a list of what's been "restored" on this unrestored car?

Washer fluid bottle opens up backwards - old repop part from years ago.  
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemigeno

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 06, 2012, 04:50:22 PM
In Missouri tradition, Show Me that it's not the original :D 

Au contraire...

Show Me that it IS the original.  Just because one can postulate an unorthodox theory does not mean it is valid until disproven.  You've made the statement you think it's original.  Fine.  I'll go along once it can be proven true.  Even with my own car's idiosyncrasies, I kept a neutral stance until outside/independent verification could be obtained.  Anything short of that is pure supposition - which you'll have to debate alone (i.e. without my participation).

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 06, 2012, 05:04:57 PM
For the record, I rescued a console out of a 70 Fury 3 that had those on there at one point. I'll probably fill the holes in before I stick in my 69 unless I can find a pair.

Assuming you can find some replacement stowage clips, will you be telling people that it's a correct console for a '69 B-body?

hemigeno

Quote from: odcics2 on November 06, 2012, 05:08:19 PM
Want to start a list of what's been "restored" on this unrestored car?

Washer fluid bottle opens up backwards - old repop part from years ago.  

Saw that... it also has one black and one chrome door button too.

JB400

No, I will not be trying to pass my console off as original.  It would make a nice conversation piece though for the local car guys around here.  Besides, it's different.  Most haven't seen anything like it.

Like you, I'm keeping an open mind on whether it's original or not.  Like I said, anything is possible.  Until rock solid proof comes along, it's all heresay.  I fit it in the same category as the converted Superbirds to Roadrunners.

Done some checking, C15 is for Deluxe seatbelts.  Possible code on this car with the clips

hemigeno

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 06, 2012, 05:26:15 PM
Done some checking, C15 is for Deluxe seatbelts.  Possible code on this car with the clips

That's not a valid sales code for 1969, based on the factory documents I have.  Also... according to Galen, it is an applicable code only for '70-1 (I did some checking too).

JB400

Any idea what code they might be under?  I'm not fortunate enough to have a GG library at my bedside. Just the net.

tan top

:o good find  ,  looks pretty straight & rot free from the pictures ,  thanks for posting  :cheers:

Quote from: WINGIN IT on November 06, 2012, 01:50:39 PM
Not only that, how does the dashpad and instrument cluster get so baked ( it almost looks melted  :o  ) and the seats are pristine?  Seat covers?

yes something looks iffy with the dash  ,  look at the condition of the rear package tray too , compared to interior ,

i'm betting the  seatbelt clips might of been owner added at one time  ,  he Polly had a C body before &  got tired of the buckle falling down & jamming up down the side of the seat in the daytona  , better on the console , than front of seat i think for stowing the belt :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemigeno

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 06, 2012, 06:14:05 PM
Any idea what code they might be under?  I'm not fortunate enough to have a GG library at my bedside. Just the net.

I went through the entire littany of 1969 Passenger Car Sales Codes that begin with "C", which is where anything to do with seatbelts would fall.  There are only three of them shown in the E-Series (1969) C.A.G. Production Engineering documents that address seat belts, which are as follows:

C04 - Delete All Standard Belts
C13 - Shoulder Belts - Front - Right & Left  (this was available only for convertibles, since front shoulder belts were standard equipment otherwise)
C14 - Shoulder Belts - Rear - Right & Left  (this was optional on all models EXCEPT convertibles, since the top mechanism prevented their use)

Galen's white books are OK, but they have their drawbacks.  The editions I have are over 10 years old, so he may have updated them several times since.  They are still worth adding to the collection on your nightstand.

Ghoste

So far I haven't been able to locate any mention of the console belt clips in factory literature on any model prior to the 70 C-bodies.  Still looking though.

hemigeno

I tried posting the '69 parts book page from the .pdf version, but can't make it happen (encryption stuff  :brickwall: ).  If anyone wants to look it up on their own, it's shown on Illustration Page 23-66.  Again... that page shows both B- and C-Body applications combined on one illustration, whereas the console belt stowage clips are listed elsewhere in the parts manual listings as C-body ONLY.

Ghoste

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2012, 06:52:34 PM
Was it available prior to 69?

I don't know, but I did find it in some '69 literature (see below) - just in photographs of a Polara/C-body, of course.

Ghoste

As wildly off the original topic as we're getting... evidence indicates the Deluxe Seat Belt option did not exist prior to 1970 but seat blet clips on C-body consoles did exist at least as early as the 69 models.

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2012, 07:09:29 PM
As wildly off the original topic as we're getting... evidence indicates the Deluxe Seat Belt option did not exist prior to 1970 but seat blet clips on C-body consoles did exist at least as early as the 69 models.

That'd be my conclusion too.

As for the thread's diversion, it's my fault.  You (initially) took the high road on this sidetrack, but I took the bait.   :slap:

[/hijack]

tan top

Quote from: hemigeno on November 06, 2012, 06:49:45 PM
I tried posting the '69 parts book page from the .pdf version, but can't make it happen (encryption stuff  :brickwall: ).  If anyone wants to look it up on their own, it's shown on Illustration Page 23-66.  Again... that page shows both B- and C-Body applications combined on one illustration, whereas the console belt stowage clips are listed elsewhere in the parts manual listings as C-body ONLY.

:2thumbs:  

not that clear  , had to take a pictures off the  monitor  ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

hemigeno

Quote from: tan top on November 06, 2012, 07:19:08 PM
:2thumbs:  

not that clear  , had to take a pictures off the  monitor  ,

Thanks, TT!

69hemidaytona

I have seen these consoles with the seat belt clips quite often on ebay. They are usually if not always identified as coming out of a C body. I've never seen one in a B body. Governor Scott Walker is calling I better answer it. I have a feeling he won't be calling again after the presidential election is over!

WINGIN IT

Console aside, there are other items already mentioned that point this car is not completely "unrestored" .

JB400

Sometimes it's good to be from Missouri :2thumbs:  This is what I actually like seeing.  Instead of 20+ pages of bickering about this is right or wrong, we have people with factory information posting it and letting everyone see for themselves on whether it's right or wrong. Honestly, I'm convinced that the seatbelt clips are from a C body.  I also checked my B body  service manual, no sign of them.  As far as why this car has them, we need some more info from the owner on the history of it.  Thank you everyone for taking the time to post the info :2thumbs:  You know, they could be a dealer add on.

held1823

is this pdf found on the web, or from someone's personal cd?

that car is awesome. i sure hope we hear the details about it, at some point.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

C5X DAYTONA

LOL.   Yes it is a Buddy's car.   355154.     They have owned it since 87.    The right fender has been replaced and the front repainted at one time.   The seats have been redone.   The cars did a lot of sitting out in the So Cal sun.  That is why the dash is cracked like it is and the paint baked.   The console is from a C-Body.   Here is a the add he purchased the car from.    

Machado will know whose car this is...it's a SoCal owner.  Those pics are at Spring Fling.

It's a cool car.  The couple times I'd seen it they had Mopar "driver's education" placards on it.  
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

tan top

Quote from: held1823 on November 06, 2012, 11:32:58 PM
is this pdf found on the web, or from someone's personal cd?

that car is awesome. i sure hope we hear the details about it, at some point.

found on web ,

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on November 07, 2012, 01:15:17 AM
LOL.   Yes it is a Buddy's car.   355154.     They have owned it since 87.    The right fender has been replaced and the front repainted at one time.   The seats have been redone.   The cars did a lot of sitting out in the So Cal sun.  That is why the dash is cracked like it is and the paint baked.   The console is from a C-Body.   Here is a the add he purchased the car from.     

It's a cool car.  The couple times I'd seen it they had Mopar "driver's education" placards on it. 

good find   :2thumbs: :popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

Just 6T9 CHGR

The Bill Card Daytona seems to be built the same way (355153)

Minus the console seat belt clips ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

C5X DAYTONA

Here is a pic of the tag from 355154 and 155.   Identical cars.   Even in condition.
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Just 6T9 CHGR

153 is almost the same as well....add the Super Track pack & minus the condition  ;)

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemigeno

355152 and 355156 are also 440/auto, B5 w/ blue interior - but I don't have complete tag information on those cars yet.  Their options will be really close to the three cars already posted, more than likely.  Supposedly 355151 is also B5 but I have very little info on it apart from Galen reportedly having the B-sheet.

pettybird

mauve66

Cool car nonetheless!!!

i knew i liked you for some reason :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

nascarxx29

hemigeno

Quote from: mauve66 on November 08, 2012, 10:13:41 AM

Cool car nonetheless!!!

:cheers:

That's just my diplomatic way of saying I'm stubborn, skeptical and hard-headed.  :P

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on November 08, 2012, 11:46:23 AM

Cool car nonetheless!!!

That's just my diplomatic way of saying I'm stubborn, skeptical and hard-headed.  :P
me too  and missouri born and raised also    :icon_smile_big:
   it really pisses my wife off to no end that i question everything

JB400

Quote from: moparstuart on November 08, 2012, 11:59:05 AM

As for the seatbelt clips, console stowage clips were mounted on 1969 C-body consoles but not on B-body versions.  You have to dig into the parts book to see the distinction, but it's there.  While it might suit some folks' argument to say "you never know what might have happened with Chrysler back then", the problem with arguing that this is a factory-installed console has to get around the fact that Hamtramck did not make C-body cars in '69.  So... not only would there had to have been a shortage on the Hamtramck line of blue B-body consoles at the exact moment this car's interior was being installed, but a shipment of C-body consoles would had to have been mis-directed to Hamtramck and accepted by the plant's parts procurement employees.  Maybe it's because I'm from Missouri and all, but I'd have to know a bit more about the history of that car before signing on to the "It's a factory-installed console" petition.

Cool car nonetheless!!!

That's just my diplomatic way of saying I'm stubborn, skeptical and hard-headed.  :P
me too  and missouri born and raised also    :icon_smile_big:
Add me to that list as well.

WINGIN IT

mauve66

As for the seatbelt clips, console stowage clips were mounted on 1969 C-body consoles but not on B-body versions.  You have to dig into the parts book to see the distinction, but it's there.  While it might suit some folks' argument to say "you never know what might have happened with Chrysler back then", the problem with arguing that this is a factory-installed console has to get around the fact that Hamtramck did not make C-body cars in '69.  So... not only would there had to have been a shortage on the Hamtramck line of blue B-body consoles at the exact moment this car's interior was being installed, but a shipment of C-body consoles would had to have been mis-directed to Hamtramck and accepted by the plant's parts procurement employees.  Maybe it's because I'm from Missouri and all, but I'd have to know a bit more about the history of that car before signing on to the "It's a factory-installed console" petition.

Cool car nonetheless!!!

That's just my diplomatic way of saying I'm stubborn, skeptical and hard-headed:P

mine says something about my pic being in the dictionary under those very words
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Ghoste

Not from Missouri, just skeptical enough after looking at these cars for so many years to have an extremely difficult time believing that one ever came from the factory with seat belt clips on the console.

JB400

The Missouri deal only means we're playful enough to get the information out while others think we're serious :D

Ghoste

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on November 09, 2012, 07:00:37 AM
Not from Missouri, just skeptical enough after looking at these cars for so many years to have an extremely difficult time believing that one ever came from the factory with seat belt clips on the console.

Since "C" bodies were not made at the same plant, it would be strange for a belt clip console to show up among normal consoles and be installed on the line without question.
Then the dealer would have seen it and not questioned it.  Then the original owner would not have questioned it.  Finally - all these years later, it gets questioned!! 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

held1823

curious as to why the c body console was added. it would seem that used b-body pieces would have been more plentiful, so perhaps the owner already had it on hand.  did they both mount to the same brackets?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

ksquared

Quote from: pettybird on November 08, 2012, 10:03:25 AM
Holy central office laziness!

I have thought of that many time too.  Like why do they choose an exterior color with an optional interior color choice, then put in the basic black?

Does anybody know about the percentage of cars ordered by dealers/customers who chose their options vs. cars made by the Dodge central office where somebody just checked boxes?

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on November 11, 2012, 01:49:31 PM
curious as to why the c body console was added. it would seem that used b-body pieces would have been more plentiful, so perhaps the owner already had it on hand.  did they both mount to the same brackets?

its blue

hemigeno

Quote from: held1823 on November 11, 2012, 01:49:31 PM
did they both mount to the same brackets?

AFAIK, they did mount to the same brackets.